New members

You can talk about anything here
Don Moran
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: New members

Unread post by Don Moran »

There is nothing wrong with stock or almost stock jeeps.Mine was close to stock my first three years.Then the bug might bite you and you start to build. Not saying you should. Learning to drive a stock jeep will hone your driving skills much better than starting BIG. As far as being belly up my jeep has been but I have wheeled for years and wheel @ 25 - 30 times a year. This does not mean we will put new members in danger of that. And please I will always answer questions and spot you all through tough spots. As will many other members. My 2 cents Don
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Marky »

MDSRACING398 wrote:Here is proof a stock jeep can do anything! Lol
Way to scare them away!!

One thing I'll mention about the trail ratings issue is that it's partially subjective and partially impossible to predict. Conditions change with the weather and can even be different for the guy in the front of the line vs the guy in the back. If you are expecting a writeup for each trail that perfectly describes it, it's not going to happen. We can certainly give a general idea of what to expect, but ultimately it comes down to building your confidence and trusting the club members to help you when you run into something a little scary. That's what makes this club great - the people will happily drop everything and help you no matter what. We don't want you to damage your vehicle if that's not what you want and we'll do our best to help avoid any damage. We're not going to pressure you into something you're not ready for, but we definitely will encourage you to attempt something we think you are ready for.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Emoto
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2017

Unread post by Emoto »

I have a bone stock JKUR and am very excited about going on some runs. I'll be doing my best to pay attention to the trail info to make the right decisions. For a variety of reasons, including $$$, I'm not planning to modify for a while. I am sure that I can still have fun without bashing the <bleep> out of my Jeep, and will seek guidance from you folks as I go along. Jeep 101 is first...

Thanks,

Bob
Richl35
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee

Unread post by Richl35 »

MDSRACING398 wrote:Here is proof a stock jeep can do anything! Lol
20160820_082618-640x640.jpg

Ha, ha.. That's great!

The real answer is to just go do it! No one is going to make you do anything or lead you through obstacles that are beyond you or your vehicles capabilities. Yes, you will stall. Yes, you will have to try a couple or few times to get over something. Yes, you will get stuck. Yes, you will almost literally crap your pants at times but at the end of the day you will feel amazed at what you did that day in your Jeep, even if it wasn't all that tough. You'll go over and rub the back of her little muddy fender a give her a little whisper telling her that she's a dirty girl..... Oh wait, sorry.. that was a different ride... I mean you will feel great accomplishment and will hardly be able to wait to get out there and tackle even more difficult obstacles!
Last edited by Richl35 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Thanks for reminding me Mark. That was an awesome trip!!! Don't go by my Jeep, I have a blatant disregard for body damage ..... they are battle scars IMO. And I have a company supplied vehicle so, although a daily driver, I can afford to let it sit the driveway while waiting for it to be fixed.

As a trail leader I do not bring people over things without asking them their comfort level, if they are comfortable we as a club will talk them through it, the key there is to listen the your spotter.

Bob M, you will be fine on the class VI, start there and ride along at other properties.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

ImNotCassie wrote:Thanks for reminding me Mark. That was an awesome trip!!! Don't go by my Jeep, I have a blatant disregard for body damage ..... they are battle scars IMO. And I have a company supplied vehicle so, although a daily driver, I can afford to let it sit the driveway while waiting for it to be fixed.

As a trail leader I do not bring people over things without asking them their comfort level, if they are comfortable we as a club will talk them through it, the key there is to listen the your spotter.

Bob M, you will be fine on the class VI, start there and ride along at other properties.

Cassie... Who was spotting you? I want to make sure I avoid their direction!
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

LOL I'm NOT Cassie :lol: It didn't matter who was spotting, I was on trails I really had no business being on. The guys were great helping me out and making fun of me all the day long. I didn't have rock rails, those were side steps. I drove it all the way home with no issues except a lack of an EZ pass.

Like I said, don't use me a the standard.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

An added note: no one pressured me into any of that, it was all me.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Cassandra is relatively new (as I am) and is a good example of someone who tested their limit and comfort zone and built according to their needs. If you ever wanted to see what a stock jeep could do you should have been around 2 years ago when that pic was taken.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

RandyCarol wrote:Cassandra is relatively new (as I am) and is a good example of someone who tested their limit and comfort zone and built according to their needs. If you ever wanted to see what a stock jeep could do you should have been around 2 years ago when that pic was taken.
Relatively new = Joined in April, that trip was in August. Had never EVER wheeled before.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Stock jeep, winches, two high lifts at same time, a little yelling and a whole lot of laughing (with a little fear if you were in front of it.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Just looked up the following idiom and found the following definition.

- Jump in feet first

To begin or undertake something quickly, enthusiastically, and without trepidation.

So ya... To all new guys... Don't follow ImNotCassie!

It is nice to see you clearly followed Tread Lightly guidelines that day!
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

In fact I did. Jeep took damage, not the trails.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

You have never been on a run with her, How can you even make a stupid statement like that? All the new people can learn a lot from her, number one don't be scared of the unknown!
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

MDSRACING398 wrote: don't be scared of the unknown!

Words to live by!!
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!