First Aid Kits

You can talk about anything here
Emoto
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2017
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

First Aid Kits

Unread post by Emoto »

What do you folks like to carry? Have you assembled your own kit, or did you purchase a commercial kit? If so, which kit did you purchase?

Any "must haves" in a first aid kit for a Jeep?

Thanks in advance for any info. I used the search tool, but failed to find threads with first aid in the title.
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: First Aid Kits

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

The basics. Unless you need something specific. Like insulin, epi pen etc. Can order a basic one in case on Amazon or I'm pretty sure Wally mart has them.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

can definitely get some decent ones at rite aid and wall mart Target etc. Rite aid seems to do a lot of buy one get one half off and I try to keep a basic kit in each of my cars as well as the Jeep. Try to get one with extras like a ace bandage, maybe a finger splint, something a bit more than band aids and aspirin.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

I have an AED, MRI and CT Scanner in the back of my Jeep. OK, would you believe Band Aids and expired Neosporin?

Seriously, though, anything will do. If you have special needs like an epipen or insulin it's probably a good idea to let someone know where to find those things in case of emergency.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

Marky wrote: <snip> OK, would you believe Band Aids and expired Neosporin?
I make a point of going through the kits in all of our vehicles every winter to remove any damaged packaging and expired meds. I have a calendar reminder set for the end of Nov.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Most of the Drug stores will have from basic to expensive kits on the shelf. HooDo said it best , something more than band-aids. If it comes in a hard case you have the option to strap it down accessible , Vs. stuffed in a bag or tool box you have to dig out. FjR68
Emoto
BSJ Member

Unread post by Emoto »

Thanks for all the feedback, folks! Glad to hear that there isn't some kind of injury that "always" happens on trail runs, so make sure to have "foo" in your fist aid kit!

It does make sense to have one for all the vehicles. I do carry one on my motorcycle. Will now get kits for the Jeep and the car.
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

I've got this one in the Jeep with a few extras:

Covers the basics, easy to store, enough room in the pouch for some other stuff, and it doesn't break the wallet.
-- Hank
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by MattJ »

There is some good discussion in this thread on the ExploringNH forum about first aid kits. I found it very helpful last year when I was trying to decide which items to gather for mine. The author of the thread was a law enforcement officer, so I found it interesting to see what he decided to carry with him into the woods (even if he does drive a Lexus).

http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthrea ... ton-County
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

I should also mention this brand new book by Bob Wholers has a massive amount of information about first-aid and survival equipment for off-roading and vehicle-based exploring.

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

This article came across my rss feed this last night, so I followed the links in it and did a little digging.
Don't Stress: Pack a Premade First Aid Kit

Knowing some of the hazards that we can come across on the trail:
  • inset bites
  • scrapes, slices
  • burns, blisters
  • breaks/strains
  • fevers/headaches
  • hangovers
Adventure Medical Kits Mountain Series Backpacker Medical Kit

Then also throw in a tourniqet for good measure. I've heard recommendations from a guy who has tested a couple different kinds for ease of use (not in an emergency situation) and found he could use this one one handed if he had to.

SOFTT-W GENERATION 4 TOURNIQUET

Roll overs happen, and wrenching occurs. Anything can happen in these instances and even when following all safety precautions, stuff can happen. Broken bones can happen on the trail, even though stuff we may come across might be as simple as a scraped knee, things can get bad quick. When piloting multi-ton vehicles through the woods, camping and hiking through the trail spotting or using the "toilet", we should be covered.

Buy a kit, and familiarize yourself with everything in it. Make it accessible.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Emoto
BSJ Member

Unread post by Emoto »

Lots of good info. Thanks!
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Hey Bob if you're at the 101 this year, I carry a pretty decent but not huge kit. I'd be happy to show it to you. I've been an EMT since '95.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

FYI I was in OSJ (Ocean State Job Lot) last night and they had 2 diff kits available for under $10 that had band aids and other basics as well as some single use packets of things like neosporin and such. Just another place to look, also noticed that they updated their selections and had a good sized selection of bandaids at $1 per box (for those that use them and not duct tape or electrical tape).
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

I have 2 of these kits. 1 is in my Jeep and the other in my others Camry. A good quality kit that has a really good selection of supplies but it's a little pricey. With my daughter we thought it was worth having a more complete selection of supplies on hand.