Hello from Purgatory... I mean Halifax (waiting list)

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
Richl35
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee

Hello from Purgatory... I mean Halifax (waiting list)

Unread post by Richl35 »

So, late to the party again... Story of my life!

Membership is at capacity and to the waiting list I go. :doh: So if you haven't figured out from my super secretive user name my name is Rich. I have 4 beautiful daughters (3 are in their 20s and the 4th is 3 years old) and a significant other (VERY SIGNIFICANT) whom is a big Jeep fan herself. I'm from the small town Halifax on the South Shore and have lived in this area most of my 42 year life. I have had 3 other Jeeps in my life other than my current 2010 2dr JK 6speed manual and loved them all. My first was an 85 CJ I owned when I just barely hit my 20s. It was a monster in it's time with a small block Chevy, 4 speed manual, axles donated from a 3/4 ton Surburban, relocated custom leaf springs that produced enough lift for 38 x 15.50 TSL Super Swampers and deep deep gearing (5.38 ? i don't remember). Then there was a 98 Grand Cherokee and then a Cherokee sport. I acquired my Jeep in September 2015 all stock after I sold my Motorcycle. I just didn't feel comfortable riding anymore after my daughter was born.

The original plan was to maybe install a budget boost and 33 inch tires. I just wanted something fun to buzz around in and hit Duxbury beach in from time to time. I joined Wrangler Forum, bought myself a subscription to JP magazine and boy did that plan change fast. Let the spending begin!
My jeep has seen a couple iterations in the last 2 years of my ownership. The first was a looks build. I actually spent a TON of money and built a solid franken lift using handpicked parts. Core 4X4 Tier 3 adjustable control arms using Currie J Joints, 3.5" Rock Krawler springs, Crown extended braided brake lines, Synergy adjustable track bars, Synergy drag link flip and Synergy tie rod, All synergy axle side brackets, sector shaft brace and Rock Krawler sway bar links. While I had the axles out I stuffed them with 4.56 gears (still open carriers) and I welded C gussets and sleeves in the front housing along with front and rear control arm skids. I pressed in a set of Teraflex ball joints in the front and closed them both up with a set of Teraflex covers. I mounted 35s and DC wheels with Bushwacker fender flares and a set of Rancho 9000XL shocks. A set of Steel bumpers, some lighting, winch and a CB found it's way on to it as well. This again was a solid LOOKS build. Drive around, hit the beach, maybe a mild trail here and there and it drove and performed well. Then I did some wheeling and things changed AGAIN...

The second version of itself was to make it more suitable for off road. A set of ARB air lockers and Chrome-moly axles found their way into the housings. The 35s were sold and a set of 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers with Level 8 Pro wheels were slid under the fenders. I built a 1 ton drag link and tie rod and mounted them up with a PSC big bore XD steering box and a set of Teraflex high steer knuckles. Some Teraflex big brake kits front and rear helped slow things down and talk about slow... a Rubicon transfer case was installed along with a set of 4.88 gears. An ARB twin mounted under the seat helps air up the tires and locks up the ARBs. I was too lazy to fight with disconnects so a set of Currie Antirocks were installed. Protection underneath is provided by full skids front to back and ORF rock rails and rocker armor. I already had steel bumpers but I welded up the bottom of the rear bumper to close the gap to the frame so I wouldn't get hung up on it, cut in a set of LED reverse lights and sunk in a trailer hitch for my cargo carrier. I relocated the plate to the spare and installed a HD hinge mounted tire carrier for the hefty 37. There were a bunch of other things I did too but to be honest I have done so much to it I can't even remember what the heck I have done to it any more. I have done 100% of the work on my Jeep. Gearing, wiring, custom fab work, welding etc... If it's on the jeep I did it. I truly consider it a passion.

So what is planned for the future? Hemi swap (already have the drivetrain). Aftermarket 44 front housing with 35 spline RCVs and ARB airlocker. Custom long arm suspension possibly with King Coilovers. Custom sport cage before I actually regret not having one. I have the tools to do all this stuff just need the time...

So if you see me out there on the roads or the trails make sure you wave as I am sure to, and keep the shiny side up!
Attachments
20170119_182254B.jpg
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Hello from Purgatory... I mean Halifax (waiting list)

Unread post by Frank »

Dam Dude :) I hope you did all this over the 7 years and not last weekend. I too remember holding my babygirl while standing in an engine compartment . One cause I was on duty , and two cause she wanted to be with me. It feels like last year , shes 29 ! Sounds like you got all the right stuff to come out and play , Its possible someone will read this and drop out. I still run my original Jeep , a 74 CJ-5. Shes in my avitar. Her name is mona. A couple changes to her over the years , but I can say its the original sheetmetal other than the left front fender. Yes its been repaired once or twice but she hides her age from about 30 feet pretty darn good. Hope to see ya on a trail and keep an eye open for an open run. FjR68
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Welcome, Rich. Sounds like you are well equipped and raring to go. Sorry about the wait list! Hope to meet you son.
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Frank wrote:Dam Dude :) I hope you did all this over the 7 years and not last weekend. I too remember holding my babygirl while standing in an engine compartment . One cause I was on duty , and two cause she wanted to be with me. It feels like last year , shes 29 ! Sounds like you got all the right stuff to come out and play , Its possible someone will read this and drop out. I still run my original Jeep , a 74 CJ-5. Shes in my avitar. Her name is mona. A couple changes to her over the years , but I can say its the original sheetmetal other than the left front fender. Yes its been repaired once or twice but she hides her age from about 30 feet pretty darn good. Hope to see ya on a trail and keep an eye open for an open run. FjR68
Thanks Frank. No this has all been done since Sep 2015. It was bone stock when I purchased it and I have found as much enjoyment working on it as I have driving it. Which is dangerous in itself...
My Jeep is all original sheetmetal too... Ya I know, not that impressive with a 7 year old Jeep compared to your 43 year old CJ-5. There is something to be said for keeping an old classic running strong and modded for the things that you put her through. Your challenges with the CJ are certainly a lot different than the challenges with my JK where I can just open any one of 100 books and order 10 variations of anything I need.
I try to hit every event I can locally like Topless Day in Monson, Some local gatherings in Plymouth and Star Drive In in Taunton so I'm around and not hiding. I've wheeled her around a bit to places I am sure you all have frequented. I don't want to put her on her lid or anything but I don't mind dragging her over some ledges and rocks.
I will watch out for an open run. Would like to get out there and meet some of you all.

Rich
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

If anything , save some time off from work in the fall for the trip to Rausch Creek in Pa. Its an off road park not rivaled in the North East. Most leave wed/thurs. Return i=on sun. Camping/Hotels. Its not a BSJ run for members so , I would guess its open to everyone. Ive made most of the components,parts, and what ever was needed. Rear is stretched 7" with a 4 link coil, Front has ram assist , The absolute best upgrade has been the hydro-boost brake system !!!!! :) Using the power steering system as a booster. Who knew you could use toes to stop , instead of your whole leg . 74s are harder to get good or original parts for , but after 76, dont seam to be as hard. FjR68
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

I have 2 trips planned this year. A Rausch Creek trip ( because I won't be making it to Moab anytime soon) and we have a few guys getting together to to a self guided version of the Trans New Hampshire expedition 3 day overland trip.
Haven't figured out travel plans for the Rausch trip so that might work out perfect.
Hope I get a chance to see your CJ. Sounds like you have a lot of custom fab in it.
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

So I received an email from ImNotCassie today. Looks like my days in Purgatory are coming to an end....! Woo Hoo!

So after almost a year I browsed through the last few posts I left here in this thread. A couple updates to add.

Crawler Conceptz front bumper
Aluminum fenders
Poison Spyder rear high clearance bumper
Teraflex front axle housing stuffed with ARB, 35 Spline RCV shafts, Dynatrac ball joints, Teraflex high steer knuckles and Teraflex big brakes.
Rear axle upgraded with all new HD Artec brackets and truss. ARB has been modded with 35 spline inners and 35 spline G2 chromoly axles.
Updated the front steering with a full compliment of steer smarts HD 1.5 ton tie rod, drag link and adjustable track bar.
Built a set of frame mounted rock sliders. Kind of a cross between EVO and VKS sliders. Welded them to frame.
Teraflex shocks and steering stabilizer
Ohhhh... and I decided to not go with a Hemi but instead have an LS3 and a 6L80E sitting in the shop waiting to go in with a Motech kit.
Add a set of Adams 1350 drive shafts and that's about it.

Last thing I am waiting for is an EVO sport cage. Ordered it in September... they just put it in production now. Hope sometime this month to see it.
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

A quick pic to add..
Attachments
20170906_205223_crop_958x680.jpg
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Looking good! Just got an EVO sport cage, it’s pretty nice
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

RandyCarol wrote:Looking good! Just got an EVO sport cage, it’s pretty nice
I like the EVO design overall. It's tighter to the interior and doesn't effect your sight lines as much. When I was looking at them they just came out with a PN for the 2007 - 2010 JKs so I went with this over a Rock Hard cage. Didn't realize 6 months later I'd still be waiting for it to ship...
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

That’s why I chose it, less intrusive. Hope you get it soon before the start of the season
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ASauer17 »

This is the best introductory, yet!
Welcome! The membership will be opening up soon for waitlisters!!
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

asauer17 wrote:This is the best introductory, yet!
Welcome! The membership will be opening up soon for waitlisters!!
Thank you. Looking forward to getting my chance to join up and meet everyone.
Richl35

PURGATORY IS OVER... WOO HOO!!!

Unread post by Richl35 »

So I paid my dues, bought a couple radios and am now an actual Club member! Turns out I was the first on the waiting list from last year. That sounds just like my luck. Time to hurry up and get the Jeep back together!

Look forward to meeting some members!
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Welcome to the party
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi