Need to replace radiator

saf98tj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Need to replace radiator

Unread post by saf98tj »

Hi everyone,
I need to replace the radiator in my 98tj. It's leaking around the top seam. Any recommendations on a good quality replacement? Seems the original Mopar OEM is the recommendation online. Any suggestions what to get and where to buy?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Need to replace radiator

Unread post by Frank »

Stock replacement radiators fit to the TEE. The problem is they use plastic side tanks and crimp them together . Thats where they mostly leak. Aftermarket radiators have metal tanks and weld (solder) them with a much stronger bond. Rarely have an issue. Aluminum radiators dissipate heat much better but cost the most. By going off road we flex the frame more than happens onroad and the stock rads can only hold up so long. My opinion would be to look for an aftermarket that you can afford , flush the cooling system (engine) new coolant and never look back . FjR68
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

I just went through this with my engine swap. I was also told stock is best. One thing to watch for: if the price of an aluminum radiator looks too good to be true, it probably is. When they manufacture the cheaper ones they flood the inside with epoxy to ensure the radiators don't leak, but epoxy is an excellent insulator and drastically reduces the efficiency of an "all aluminum" radiator. I ordered my OEM replacement from MOPAR Parts Source for $230 shipped. http://www.moparpartssource.com/ Only been in there for 4 months but so far no issues.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
saf98tj
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by saf98tj »

Thank you. I will check out that website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk