Built not bought?

You can talk about anything here
DDewar53
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Built not bought?

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Interesting perspective on DirtRoadTrip blog. Check it out, and see my response in the comments section

http://dirtroadtrip.com/blog/lifestyle/ ... ot-bought/
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Built not bought?

Unread post by Marky »

I wasn't able to view the comments (it only shows one) so I couldn't see your thoughts, but my two cents on "built not bought" is that there's a fine line between pride (which is generally respected) and hubris (which can be slightly obnoxious.) While I have great respect for those who possess the mechanical ability and resources to do so, it comes across as a slight towards people who have chosen (for many different reasons) to hire a professional to carry out work on their rig. There are many reasons to do the work yourself, but there are also many reasons not to. Choosing not to does not mean you are unable and so the point of the declaration is questionable. At what point does a rig lose it's "built not bought" status? If I installed my own lift but paid someone to change my diff fluid do I lose respect? Probably... that's not a very good example. :? The point is I don't think that choosing one option over the other makes you a better driver so there's really no significance to it for me. :auto-swerve: That being said, I know there's a club by that name and I'm positive they get a lot out of sharing their time with others who also like to work on their own rigs. I think that's great. However, I see the same thing happen in our club and we manage to do it without the thinly veiled insult towards those who paid for work. Is there a shrug emoji? :eusa-think:
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Don Moran
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Don Moran »

Well put ... you always need to pick your battles and sometimes its cheaper to pay.
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Marky, I think that is about the best way to put that. Shrug.

If you got the money and want to have one built so what, it doesnt make you any better or worse than the guy who took 20 years or more to build the rig out of parts and pieces along the way. After the same amount of time only driver skill will really differ.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I can agree with those statements. I really dont see the slight your talking about , Im talking about me now. I dont feel Im any better than you, for being smart enough in school to get a job(profession) that allows you to be able to do that. Where I was excelling in shop and chasing girls Vs. Studying . I really enjoy repairing ,improving, and trying different mods that hopefully improve Monas climbing ability . On the other hand I do have to admit feeling jealous of a rig with everything I have circled in Quadratec on the wish list and the operator just dont have the skill to make it perform . In that instance , I feel thats where "Built not Bought" comes into play . If this was a competition ,that would matter , In our club , I dont know of anyone that has that attitude . We all joke and laugh at each other , Thats what friends do. At Rausch , Ive watched others in our group climb or do something I couldnt . In my mind they were lesser equipped than Mona. So thats my drive , thats my inner demon to keep proving to myself that Im getting better. The main reason Ive done everything (home Built) to Mona is , We put three kids through school and it wasnt in the budget . I respect everyone of you out there having fun , using your Jeep for something other than going to the mall looking all that. Built not Bought ---- Who cares, lets go have fun ! FjR68
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Years ago I had a samurai that was pretty highly modified, I also had a huge garage and a marriage that gave me plenty of reason to spend as much time in it as possible. I loved doing the work on it and in the 18 years I owned it I didn't pay anyone a dime to work on it. I had a lot of pride in it and there was a certain amount of satisfaction in being able to do whatever I wanted to do to it myself. I was younger then, and didn't understand why some guys would pay someone to do that (although I didn't judge), for me building was half the fun. I got out of wheeling for awhile but I always missed it so this time last year I picked up a JK to do some trail riding, I got a Rubicon because I figured that's all I wanted/needed. Well, I joined the club and got bit by the bug again. Problem now is I no longer have the garage or the huge tool collection, for the first time ever I had to pay a shop to install my lift. It didn't hurt the ego as much as I thought it would, in fact I was going out of town for a week so I dropped the jeep off before I left and it was ready when I got back. That was kinda nice! I now have other things I want to do, I'd love to do it myself but would be less hesitant to have someone else do it now. I kinda ranted on there, but I guess my point is that if somebody enjoys wheeling it shouldn't matter who builds their jeep. Not being able to do the work themselves, for whatever reason, shouldn't stop them from getting out there. That's one great thing about this club, there are people from all walks of life taking their keeps out and having fun and that's all that really matters.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Personally I have not experienced any of the slighting that is mentioned, but I am pretty new at this so there is still time. If you are proud of something you build, whatever it is, there is nothing wrong with that. You should be proud of your accomplishments. I love seeing the Franken-Jeeps out on the trail. But, if you are putting someone down because they paid someone to do it or think they are below you, well, that has nothing to do with your jeep or your ability to build it. That's just the kid in school picking on the guy who isn't wearing Timberlands or the right kind of pants.
I'll do what I can, fluid changes, replacement parts, putting back whatever it is I knocked of the last time out. I'm a learn as I go type of girl. But I am not about to pull my diff apart and re-gear. That sh---stuff is expensive. I want it done right. Would I like to do it? Absolutely!!! Would I be proud if I did? YES! Alas, that's not my skill set.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

ImNotCassie wrote: But, if you are putting someone down because they paid someone to do it

at least to their face :lol:
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Cassandra :) You may be new , Your reputation precedes you ! :) FjR68
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

Well said everyone. That's why I joined BSJ, It's the best club out there.
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

Frank wrote:Cassandra :) You may be new , Your reputation precedes you ! :) FjR68

Thanks, Frank.

I think. :-|
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!