Trailer Bearings?

DDewar53
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Trailer Bearings?

Unread post by DDewar53 »

A little off topic, not a Jeep question, but I will be towing with a Jeep so that makes it OK

I was always taught that you tighten trailer axle bolts as tight as you can, 'till the wheel stops turning, then back off to the first available notch and put the cotter pin in.

I put a new axle and hubs on my trailer today. I cranked the nut down as hard as I could using a big pair of slip joint pliers, but couldn't get the wheel to stop turning. I did get it to where it was noticeably tight, and the wheel slowed down faster, then backed off like always. Did I do right, or do I need to do something different? Dragging the trailer to South Carolina in a week, don't need any issues.

Thanks,
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Re: Trailer Bearings?

Unread post by Kurt »

Sometimes they just slow down faster when the bearing is tight. Just be sure to check the hub temps after towing it for a bit.
Sometimes when they warm up they can get tight again and then overheat. Be prepared to loosen them a notch it they get hot.
Maybe take it for a short local tow and break the bearings in before loading them up.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Good advice Kurt . After packing them well I would put them in and tighten them till you feel tension and while rotating the wheel , tighten slowly till you feel the nut stop (tight) and the wheel require more force or slow down rotating free spin. I would they back off to the next notch. Ive never heard tighten as tight as you can. When the bearing was in your hand there would have been play in the race and cage . Thats all your trying to eliminate and with grease in the bearing its harder to feel that play. FjR68
DDewar53
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Thanks, guys. I'll take it for a short spin to see how she does.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein