Transmission Issue on TJ

schwalby
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Transmission Issue on TJ

Unread post by schwalby »

So same friend that is looking to do a little work on her TJ may also have a transmission issue. The transmission went dry for some unknown reason and she now says it is acting a little odd at high speeds. She wants to get it checked out but no clue on a good place near Upton MA.

Recommendations?

Dave this is Shannon's Jeep.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: Transmission Issue on TJ

Unread post by Modeler »

I didn't have time to drive it to see what it is doing. Should have on one of the runs back to the hotel.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Interstate in Auburn is a very good shop they have done me right a few times. Won't fix what isn't broken.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

What does she have for a transmission? I have an AX15 that I might sell if she needs it..
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
MayhemJL
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by MayhemJL »

Good morning,

Thank you for the input. Sadly, I'm not sure I know how to tell what transmission I currently have in my Tj. Any ideas?

If it's best that I bring it by a transmission shop for a check, I can. Near Framingham, Ma might be easier, since that's where I work. But I have Interstate in Auburn written down now.

Thank you,
Shannon
Last edited by MayhemJL on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modeler
BSJ Member

Unread post by Modeler »

You have an automatic, right?
MayhemJL

Modeler wrote:You have an automatic, right?
Yes, it's a 2006 TJ, automatic, 6 cylinder...found Quadratec's automatic transmission guide. Maybe it's a 42RLE transmission? Transmissions aren't in my wheelhouse :?
Modeler
BSJ Member

Unread post by Modeler »

Can you describe the symptoms and when they occur?
MayhemJL

There's a few symptoms:

A few years ago this started happening, dealership "couldn't replicate"...even after keeping for a few days, which still surprises me (since it remains consistent): When I start to accelerate and the RPMs get to about 2k, the Jeep jerks me forward, then shifts gears. This doesn't typically occur in the Winter months...only Summer/Fall. Although, I will be keeping an eye on it more this year. Once the Jeep has been running for a little while, the issue seems to subside. But the first part of any trip is riddled with involuntary head nods. :/

The newer (slighlty more concerning) developments have been- At the end of July, my Jeep was parked and unused for a few days. Upon return, I drove it to work (30-45 minutes) with nothing unusual happening. However, on my way home (20-30 minutes into ride) one of the transmission lines let go. The RPMs went nuts and I knew something was wrong. Thankfully, I got it to the side of the road before it bled out ALL of the trans fluid. Needless to say, I pulled over just in time. I got the kinked/split line replaced the next day and got the Jeep back.

Since I don't use the highway frequently I hadn't noticed the speed issue until mid-late August...and have recently confirmed that something definitely feels funky at high speeds. Prior to the trans line letting go, this had never occurred: At 65-70 mph the RPMs kinda stick in one spot and it feels like the engine is working really hard to down shift, but it never does. It's very rough feeling...and the little bit I know about vehicles, something isn't right. The last thing I want is to be on the highway and have the transmission completely go on me. The first time I noticed it, I tried to take it easy and stick to the right lane of highway. But, the second highway trip, I used the middle lane to see if it was still struggling...and it is.

Overall, I'm not sure if the 2 things are related, but I imagine they are. Also, the Jeep has about 133k miles on it and I bought it (with one prior owner) at 65k. If you need anything else, or better descriptions, please let me know.

Thanks again.
Modeler
BSJ Member

Unread post by Modeler »

I'm no expert when it comes to automatics (or manuals for that matter), but I suspect burned frictions and bands when the fluid went out.
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Have you checked fluid level? While running? Sounds stupid but just a little low will cause shifting issues. Lucas make a product that helps smooth out shifting. I have used it in a few of the older plow trucks works and doesn't seem to have ever been just a bandaid product
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

With a 133k on it ,blowing the line and the shifting issues you described . I would at least pull the pan and change the filter. The drain plug has a magnet in it and will show you the debris and whats most likely happening. Lots of things in an auto to kill. Change the filter and add a shift improver like Mark suggested . (Lucas) Makes good additives for you to try. On the trans dipstick it tells you how to check it . Most likely it says "Check hot ,running,in Park(DUH), level" Then you will get a true reading. The color of the fluid should be nothing but RED ! If its dirty at all the trans would need to be professionally flushed , including the torque converter ! Which is what Im thinking is gonna be a problem. The whole trans opperates by pressure and the torque converter makes that pressure. The additive will help free the vanes if they are sticking. Just a guess , but Id start with the filter and fluid change. Shame on that dealership ! FjR68
MayhemJL

Thank you both. I have an appointment to have it seen Friday at transmission shop. I need someone to make sure it's nothing major...especially where it's my DD...and the build bug bit harder after GAJR. Even getting a glimpse of what's possible gave me way too many ideas. I'm eager to learn. :)