Drive shafts

84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984
Jeep Model: CJ7

Drive shafts

Unread post by 84cj »

With the new rear axle and reversal shackles going in front, I'm going to need 2 new drive shafts.

That will leave me with 2 sets of shafts that will no longer fit. Does anyone know a local shop that will re-size the ones I have, so I can have a spare set? Not sure yet if they will need to be lengthened or shorten. Just looking for a local shop (relative to 02760)

Thanks,

Curtis
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: Drive shafts

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

what are the drive shafts you need to modify? stock or some kind of aftermarket? I know Tom Woods will modify thier shafts for reasonable money and Scott Carnes from Central Offroad seems to be able to work on and balance a DS.... not sure whats out your way...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by beaker »

These guys may be your closest bet - http://southshorebearing.com/driveshafts.htm

Quick google revealed some good words, no red flags. A decent shop should be able to take your existing ones, identify & replace the worn bits, and make it the necessary length.

Up in North Reading, there's North Shore Axle & machine. Gotten replacement and shorted driveshafts from him. Usually 24 hour turnaround, and he reuses the useful bits. Easy to deal with, very little hassle.

-mike

edit - Rhode Island Driveshaft & Supply down in Warwich, RI may be closer... also good things said.
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

beaker wrote:These guys may be your closest bet - http://southshorebearing.com/driveshafts.htm

edit - Rhode Island Driveshaft & Supply down in Warwich, RI may be closer... also good things said.
There was some noise about slow service at RI DS on the OSJ forum. Someone in that forum mentioned this place as a good alternative:

Cockcroft in East Prov
401-438-3650
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
84cj
BSJ Member

Unread post by 84cj »

Thanks for the recommendations. I'd hate to go wheeling with out spares...

Curtis
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I dont understand the need for a different length drive shaft. The shackle reverse shouldnt change a thing . Only if the shaft would be to long because its now going to shorten Vs. lengthen . The rear should be the same length , possibly have a different yolk needing a different U-Joint. What gives Holmes ? You stretch her or what ? If Im being nosey , to bad. Spill the beans . P.S. I have some stock shafts from a 7 if you want them. FjR68
84cj
BSJ Member

Unread post by 84cj »

Frank,

Remember I have a NV3550 tranny, So stock is out the window.
Because fo the shackle reversal, the front needs a long travel slip yoke and the rear just needs to be lengthened.

We're sticking with Tom Woods so we are sending the rear out to get lengthen and getting a new one for the front.

Curtis