April 2nd Wrenchfest

schwalby
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: April 2nd Wrenchfest

Unread post by schwalby »

Awesome, thanks guys.

One tool I think we will need that I don't have is a torque wrench. Mine only goes to 25ft/lbs and I think we need higher for the driver shafts.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
schwalby

So you know what the game plan is here is what I am hoping we will be able to achieve so if any of you have a cool tools that will make it easier by all means please bring them.

Replace front ABS sensor
Install drive shafts
Install cat back muffler setup

Those are the top priorities and I think it should be easy enough since the Jeep is pretty new and we haven't had to fight any "old" Jeep issues. ABS sensor has even been out already. If we have extra time I would like to get the wiring for the rear lights and rocker lights up to the engine bay. Kurt thinks the dual battery box will take a bunch of time so no reason to tackle that yet, also don't have the new batteries to put in. Since we have access to the lift I figure it would be smartest to get all the under Jeep stuff done.

Beyond that maybe the CB setup or headlights. I am going to be bringing every part I have that needs to go on just in case there is time or you guys prefer something different to do. I'm the one needing help so not going to be picky about what we get done.

There is also a pizza / sub place up the street so Jen will go out for lunch, our treat of course.

Carl: we are going to do our best to document the build but if you see anything you really want pictures of let Jen know. She will get them for you. Newsletter.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

If you have a/c the dual battery is pain in the butt in tj.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
schwalby

This is a 2015 JK. It makes the TJ with A/C seem easy.
Josh Schwalb
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

schwalby wrote: Carl: we are going to do our best to document the build but if you see anything you really want pictures of let Jen know. She will get them for you. Newsletter.
:thumbup: good deal man, thanks

I have an oxy-acetylene torch, might help with the exhaust. And a torque wrench
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

Should have said something when you were over the house the other day, I have 3/8 and 1/2 drive torque wrenches you could have borrowed. Sorry I won't be there Saturday.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
schwalby

Modeler wrote:Should have said something when you were over the house the other day, I have 3/8 and 1/2 drive torque wrenches you could have borrowed. Sorry I won't be there Saturday.
Me focus on two things at once? Have you not seen me the last several months?
Josh Schwalb
SevenXL
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by SevenXL »

Should be a good day for you guys. Looking forward to some pics.
Too many toys, not enough time.
schwalby

SevenXL wrote:Should be a good day for you guys. Looking forward to some pics.
You are welcome to come and hang out. :)
Josh Schwalb
SevenXL
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by SevenXL »

I would but have plans tomorrow. I am always willing to join a wrenchfest
Too many toys, not enough time.
schwalby

Want to give a huge thank you to Kurt, Carl, Dan, and Mike (shop owner). We got a bunch done considering it took about an hour and a half to get the Jeep off the ground. When you have a 2dr with LA there are not many places you can put the arms of the lift. After a bunch of trial an error we took the wheels off and lifted at the lower control arm mounts. Jeep was certainly stable though.

What we got done. Both front and rear Tom Wood's driveshafts, cat back exhaust, replaced front ABS sensor and installed Reid Racing Knuckles. Dan took apart the front drivers side to get to the ABS sensor and he got a bunch back together until I realized maybe we should do the knuckles since he had most of it apart already. Drive shafts were pretty straight forward once someone read the directions and figured out the proper torque for them. We then found out that Kurt can apply 160lbs of torque with two fingers. Front Knuckles went on pretty good but the track bar then interfered with the bracket of the steering stabilizer. So Carl cut that off and relocated it further up. Track bar now clears steering stabilizer but still interfered with a bolt on the front mount so that got ground down a little. Old muffler came out ok, probably could have been a lot worse. It looked like just the tip of the exhaust pipe was in the muffler but there ended up being a lot more. New exhaust took a bit of time to go back in, there was some grinding and press work needed and ultimately Kurt applying somewhere over 750 lbs of torque, he was using both arms.

Oh and Dan stayed about an hour after lunch, guess that is a new record?

Jen and I dropped the Jeep off in Manchester at the folks doing the wrap so should have some pictures of the fully wrapped Jeep the middle of this week. :D :D :D :D There will still be some more wrenchfests needed later though. Still have to put all the belly skids on and there is a bunch of wiring that needs to be done. However right now it is looking pretty sweet, sounding nice, and fully functioning 4wheel drive.

I am going to send our pictures to Carl so he can pick out any he wants for Tracks and then I'll post up some here.
Josh Schwalb
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

schwalby wrote:Drive shafts were pretty straight forward once someone read the directions and figured out the proper torque for them. We then found out that Kurt can apply 160lbs of torque with two fingers. :shock:

New exhaust took a bit of time to go back in, there was some grinding and press work needed and ultimately Kurt applying somewhere over 750 lbs of torque, he was using both arms. :lol:

There will still be some more wrenchfests needed later though. Still have to put all the belly skids on and there is a bunch of wiring that needs to be done.

I am going to send our pictures to Carl so he can pick out any he wants for Tracks and then I'll post up some here.
That was a fun day and Josh, I'm already looking forward to doing it again. Thanks for the first dibs on the pics - already started a rough draft for the next edition of Tracks
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
schwalby

I had a blast, it was awesome working with all of you guys.
Josh Schwalb