Winch Question

Fcgeek
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Winch Question

Unread post by Fcgeek »

I could use some advise. I have a 2015 JKU and Im getting close to purchasing a bumper and winch. I am down to 2 winches and Im really not sure what to do. The question is really Steel Warn or Synthetic Smittybilt. I somewhat like the idea of being able to put the License Plate on the roller if I go with the Warn but like the safety factor of Synthetic. Where do most people put their front plate? Is it ok to just bolt it to the grill? What your thoughts on the Winch?

WARN VR10000 Winch with 94' Wire Rope and Roller Fairleadhttp://www.quadratec.com/products/92136_0101_07.htm

Smittybilt X2O-10 Comp Gen2 Winch with Synthetic Line
[url]http://www.quadratec.com/products/92122_1310_07.htm/url]

:confusion-helpsos:

Thanks in advance for the advise.
2004 TJ Rubicon (Hooptie) Kick A$$ Grill
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Winch Question

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

No recommendation between the two winches, but here is what I have for the license plate holder. I like the function and design, but I have to admit that the plastic clips tend to break easily.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUFF-STUFF-STAI ... e8&vxp=mtr
Fcgeek

Unread post by Fcgeek »

I think I'm going to add a 3rd. The Warn M8000, Its seems reasonably priced. Just a little concerned about the 8000lbs. Thanks Ralph, Thats what I like about the steel winch options.
FSHJNKY
Jeep Year: 2010

Winch Question

Unread post by FSHJNKY »

Personally I don't like steel cable. It's cold in the winter and harder to manage. It's heavier so harder to manage. Doesn't wrap on the drum as easy so again harder to manage and it gives you boo boos when you get spiked because you forgot to bring the proper gloves. I have had both steel and synthetic and would get synthetic every time going forward.

I haven't owned warn but have had smittybilt and the one that I owned didn't impress me at all. It never completely functioned 100%. It would spool in sometimes or out others but never seemed to want to work completely. It was cheap so it got the job done for the short time I owned it.

I now own a Superwinch Talon 12.5i Synthetic that has worked perfect since day one. Including braking the line and having Superwinch replace it no questions asked. I got a smoking deal being patient and waiting for a coupon code from Superwinch directly. Warn was my original choice but the Superwinch deal was too good to pass up.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Fcgeek wrote:I think I'm going to add a 3rd. The Warn M8000, Its seems reasonably priced. Just a little concerned about the 8000lbs. Thanks Ralph, Thats what I like about the steel winch options.
8000 lbs? Plenty of pull for a Jeep, IMO. I beat the snot out of a Smittybilt 8000 XRC for years, it never let me down. Would probably still run it but opted for a Recon (with wireless remote and synthetic line). Price was right and it's still running strong after 5 years of abuse
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

personally I like Superwinch and synthetic cable- they are based out of CT... Dont like steel cable as it kinks, can cut you and does not spool as nice as synthetic. Warn is a very good brand just be advised the VR series gets away from the tried and true solenoids and may be more fragile long term, if you go warn the M8000 is pretty bullet proof and easy to get parts for.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I have a Q-Tech (Q-9K) on my CJ. I had a Ramsey 6k first. Both of them worked flawless . Both have steel cable. My only complaint is the recovery speed after a pull. The Smitty XRC-8 is so much faster like Carl said , in the same price range also. No one ever hates a Warn , but thats why they are twice the amount. The VR series is their entry level winch and from the reviews has less expensive parts inside. This could go on forever and my opinion is good for nothing. Buy what you can afford , if needbe , get a snatch block and double you pull cap . Many test were done in mags. to rate winches. Look them up , youll be surprised , how much money you can waist ! FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Superwinch has been a great supporter of the NEA's Fall Crawl for the past few years. The rep shows up at the event with his booth and boat load of Superwinch stuff. ALL of which he gives away for free. Goodies include winch cables, fairleads, controllers, solenoid packs, remotes, motors, hooks, swag and more. I picked up a new winch motor from him for Dave C. last year. Dave managed to kill his Superwinch motor.

I currently have 3 Warns, VR8000, X8000I and a XD9000. They have all performed great. I have tortured my X8000 over the past 13 years and had a couple of minor faults due to my abuse. A solenoid got flakey and I burned out a motor brush due to running it to a dead stall and not letting off on the remote while trying to pull a stump. Overall I've been very impressed with the Warns.

I had a Smittybuilt for a bit but the line speed was too slow for me

As for cables I prefer steel cable over synthetic due to the environment I like to wheel in (rocks). Steel will stand up to hard abuse getting pulled over and around rocks without fraying. I've seen several synthetic cables break but never a steel one. If you are using your winch in a less abusive environment and take care of the synthetic line then a synth line would be a good choice.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by beaker »

I've been running a T-Max 9k winch for 10 years. Had one minor issue with the free spool mechanism. Took it apart, identified a bad bit, called the company, had a new bit in my hand 2 days later. I can't complain.

-mike
Fcgeek

Unread post by Fcgeek »

Thank you all for the input. I am the proud new owner of a WARN M8000 Steel cable. I figure I could upgrade to synthetic later if desired and the M8000 seems to tried and true for the most part. I appreciate the response from everyone.
FSHJNKY
Jeep Year: 2010

Unread post by FSHJNKY »

Not sure you could go wrong with any winch that's out there. They all have their pros and cons. The key is keeping it running so it gets you out of a jam when you need it. Good luck and hope it treats you well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Warn has a rebate going on right now incase you didn't see it. Mail in takes forever but I got $100 bucks back on mine.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Fcgeek

Unread post by Fcgeek »

MDSRACING398 wrote:Warn has a rebate going on right now incase you didn't see it. Mail in takes forever but I got $100 bucks back on mine.
I did see the rebate, thanks for pointing it out though. It's what sealed the deal for me.