Clutch time

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Clutch time

Unread post by Carl McFly »

I'm not in a hurry but I need to replace my clutch and I'm looking for some help. My rig is driveable but the clutch can't take much more abuse and I don't want to be 'that guy' when we're out on a run

Far as I know it's factory original, with ~144k on her. Planning on replacing / rebuilding the slave cylinder (not sure what the protocol is on that) and pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing, all of it

Not sure how long this will take, I used to swap a clutch in an afternoon but I also used to balance a Stone Crusher on my chest and use my arms as a tranny jack :-o Pretty sure neither of them are happening this time. My daughter's nuptials are in a few weeks :dance: but if I can get this done sometime between the end of October and the 2016 wheelin season? I'll be very grateful
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Clutch time

Unread post by Kurt »

Carl,
When you have time bring it on over to my place and we can toss in the new clutch. :)

You may want to consider replacing the master too. On two different Jeeps that I've done clutch's on I've had the master fail immediately after putting in a new clutch. The new pressure plates had more spring pressure and the tired seals in the old masters failed. :doh:
Not always necessary though. Have done other Jeep clutch's and the masters were fine.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I remember those days Carl . Borg Warners , cast Iron , grass and stones in your back. I have a trans adapt. for a floor jack if your saddle comes off. FjR68
mrfreakinwhite
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

Do the whole thing with the clutch. If it's an AX15, and I'm sure it is, it's a good time to drain out ALL the oil and refill it with a decent "Yellow Metal Safe" oil like Redline or Royal Purple or any oil that is the right weight and also, "Yellow Metal Safe."
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

Thanks guys and Kurt I'm not sure what else to say but thank you. Again.

Hadn't thought about the master and fluids, good stuff, I'm taking notes. My plan is to do it once, and do it right. Gonna start ordering and collecting parts and fluids and whatever else I might need. If anyone thinks of other potential gotcah's? I'm all ears
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988

Unread post by johnsxj »

Your other potential gotcha could be the flywheel if the surface has seen better days. Look into getting a new one or finding a used one and having it surfaced. I might still have one that'll fit your rig that just needs to be surfaced.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

johnsxj wrote:Your other potential gotcha could be the flywheel if the surface has seen better days. Look into getting a new one or finding a used one and having it surfaced. I might still have one that'll fit your rig that just needs to be surfaced.
Tx John. Been awhile since I checked in, been a busy month :) but it's all good. Going to start ordering up whatever I might need and maybe get this done before the GG or TT run
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988

Unread post by johnsxj »

Little tech tips for you Carl.....

Invest in a set of inverted torx bits unless you KNOW the top two bell housing bolts had already been swapped out.
(this one you may know already) With one of the lower bell housing to block bolts in hand, head to the hardware store and buy a couple longer bolts of the matching thread (and buy a couple regular hex bolts to replace those stupid upper inverted torx bolts) cut the heads off at about 3/4" different lengths, slot the ends that used to have the heads and use them as alignment pins to help get the trans back in place ;)
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

Carl - I have a set of the E Torx bits and a pair of the home made alignment pins to use for the job. :)
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

You guys rock. On the NAPA site now, filling up my cart. Going with the regular (not performance) stuff - disc, pressure plate, release bearing, misc pieces and oh yeah a master cylinder. Also looking at a flywheel, they have two options and don't specify what they fit - 148 teeth and 164 teeth, 9 5/8" and 10 7/8 inch. But both are an exact for for my 2000 Wrangler :lol: Before I pull the trigger I'm gonna contact the boys at Crown, see what they can do for me

If I can get all my chit together, maybe we can look at doing this Nov 14?
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

As long as my jeep gets in there the weekend of the 7th ;)
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

The 14th should work :)
BSJ Treasurer 2020
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I think I'm free that weekend to assist.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

You guys rock :) :music-rockout: but I might need to reschedule. Something came up and I'm not sure I'll be around that day. Or have time to get the parts. I'll let you know, soon as I can