Yj or cherokee?

You can talk about anything here
Redjeep8901
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2009
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Yj or cherokee?

Unread post by Redjeep8901 »

Ok so here's the situation, I am trying to find a third vehicle for my wife/self because my second job is taking a toll on my JK (70,000 miles in two years)..... I need a third vehicle to take the pressure off the Jk. I have had 3 YJ's over the years and have a special place in my heart for them (first jeep), but the cherokee is not without its merits...... I would like to set either one up for light wheeling (JK's a little more heavy duty) and for my delivery job (stop and go driving).....are there any opinions on a regular cherokee? That is the only jeep product that I have never had before (had yj,tj,jk....grand...liberty), but never a cherokee thoughts or opinions?
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Yj or cherokee?

Unread post by Frank »

I always bust the owners azz , calling them a station wagon . Over the years some of them in our club still amaze me as to what they can do on a regular basis . Ive heard nothing good about the 4 banger , yet we have the angry squirrel to judge it by. Its a 4 YJ on 38s mostly running with guys on bigger tires. So really I cant think of one reason not to buy an XJ . A club member, (Kevin P ) has one for sale . Looks and runs good. Ruby Wheels and brand new tires. Its an auto .Needs floor panels welded in. He has brand new panels just got sidetracked with his YJ. Good luck with your choice . FjR68
95xj
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by 95xj »

Hey guy; they do tend to flop easy!
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Part of it depends on your budget for a 3rd vehicle.....
I'm sure you've noticed that Jeeps with a fabric top or easily removed top tend to be a fair bit more expensive than an XJ in similar condition.
Depending on the type of delivery job you're doing, the Cherokee gets the nod as there's more room inside.
The biggest downfall to the XJ's is rust. Rocker panels and floors are very common to rust through but there's reasonably priced repair panels for that. The other issue (when building the XJ) is the bolts for the rear springs are known to rust and seize to the bushing sleeves and/or the welds on the blind nuts break free and the bolt just spins in place. It's fixable but a PITA to do.
Cherokees have tons of aftermarket support so there's plenty of items out there to build one from mild to wild.
Drivetrains are basically the same as later YJ and TJ, with the 4.0 and a 4spd automatic being the most common. Depending on the year you can find an XJ with a factory 8.25 rear axle which is much better than the Dana 35 that all the YJ's came with. Front axles on all of them are the D30 same as the YJ/TJ.

Unless you really want to be able to drop the top on nice days, an XJ might be the better option for you IMHO.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Redjeep8901

Yeah I am thinking cherokee is the way to go the wranglers are a little pricey for my budget plus I already own a JK that I can drop the top on and it's getting set up for some decent trails, unfortunately most of the ones I am looking at have rocker issues. I live in the sticks so a car is out of the question and I know jeeps (with the exception of the XJ).
Redjeep8901

So I know it's been awhile, but I finally found a fantastic deal on a tj (guy had top and doors stolen off it and wanted to get rid of it quick)..... Clean title, very nicely done reconstructive work on the frame (welded, por 50..... The whole 9 yards)..... Threw a top and doors off of CL and we are off to the races.... Only some angry squirrels under the hood (I know Frank), but a respectable rig for delivering job and will make a great toy down the road. Any suggestions on where to start with the build. I have a JK that will get most of my attention and money so I am thinking CHEAP. Right now it's bone stock.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Maintenance and comfort. The TJ was designed well as stock. Once you lift it, you start a chain reaction of things that will need attention. The cheapest jeep, is a stock jeep. Keep the rust at bay, keep it well greased, oiled, and clean.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by ASauer17 »

We had an XJ for years and recently sold it. I LOVED it!! She had over 230k miles :)
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Red : With the 4 banger I wouldnt be putin bigger rubber on it unless your doing a gear change. Ive heard they feel 30s and hate 31s. Being a DD dont put a ton into it and it will serve you well. FjR68
Redjeep8901

It's got worn 30's on it now, I was thinking 2 inch spacer with a good AT 31's ...... I already have a set of 16 inch steelies sitting around from the other TJ I had ..... Simple and efficient, I had 31's on my 2.5 YJ and they ran good not too heavy...... I also had 31's stock on a Tj I used to have no lift at all, but for a 19 year old vehicle I think could defiantly use some new shocks.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I've got some great 31's on my TJ right now. 245/75r16's. 31's. General Grabber AT2. Great all around tires. They perform quite well off road, only been hung up a time or two because of the tread. On road, no problems at all. Winter traction is awesome. If I was ready to get the 33's soon, I'd sell you these, but I'm not sure when I'm getting the new tires yet.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly