New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
shrevedc20
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by shrevedc20 »

Hi folks,

I'm a Jeep newbie of sorts and new to the club. I am driving a 2013 Jeep JKU with some minor mods including a 2" lift, 33" tires, ORF bumpers with hooks and a winch in the front. I think I attached a picture, but please feel free to heckle me if it did not post correctly. I said I would wait a year before getting this thing dirty and my year is up ...

I'm down in Groton, MA. and am hoping to do some off-roading with my kids (ages 11 and 8). Nothing too hard core as this is a daily driver and I don't intend to do too much more to this rig for the foreseeable future. If things go well, I may get ambitious and go for a rear locker with taller gear. I have had a couple of Grand Cherokees in the past, but those don't count as they never saw any real dirt.

My off-roading career was cut short long ago due to poor judgement and lack of funds back in my early twenties after blowing up my old Ford Bronco a couple of times. My brother finished her off after totaling it on Route Three.

I was hoping to get out soon on one of these Southern NH runs, but am working though some late summer obligations and can't make it out this weekend. May need to wait till after Labor Day, but I am committed to getting the ball rolling on this and could really use the help of some folks that know their stuff, wheel responsibly and show the little ones a good time out in the woods.

Looking forward to meeting folks soon, and if anyone happens to be in my neck of the woods let me know.

Dan
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Newbie

Unread post by Kurt »

Dan Welcome to Baystate!

Your rig sounds like it's already set up to hit many of the trails and runs we do each season.
Most of the Jeeps in the club are daily drivers so yours will fit right in.
Hopefully you can get out an hit the trails with us when your schedule frees up.
You're virtually my neighbor... I'm just over in Pepperell near the North Middlesex High School.
Just finished wrenching on a club members rig in my garage tonight installing some rear new suspension parts to get ready for our trip to Rausch Creek this Wednesday.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Hello Dan : Sound like we have a few good stories for the camp fire. Cant wait to meet ya on a trail. Dont you for one second think your done modifying that JKU . Your not getting off that easy. FjR68
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Welcome, Dan

The JKs and JKUs perform well right out of the box, with a small lift and 33's they're good. Make sure you add any armor you can afford - rocker protection and an evaporative cannister skid are good starters.

See you on the trails.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
shrevedc20

Unread post by shrevedc20 »

Thanks for the notes everyone. I forgot to add that I have ORF rock sliders too ...

Agree on the armor. I'll look into getting that Evap kit. Does it make sense to get the relocation kit or just strap the armor onto it?

Dan
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

shrevedc20 wrote:Thanks for the notes everyone. I forgot to add that I have ORF rock sliders too ...

Agree on the armor. I'll look into getting that Evap kit. Does it make sense to get the relocation kit or just strap the armor onto it?

Dan
Welcome Dan! You just joined a great bunch of people.

As to your question regarding an evap relocation kit or a skid, I'm sure both will do the job, but I decided to go with a Rock Hard Relocation Kit. It puts the evap above the rear axel (passenger side) and it also serves as additional protection for the bottom of the evap as well. It's a complete kit with whatever hoses are necessary as well as hardware. Hit a rock hard enough and even a skid can sustain damage when the canister is left in it's original location. My $.02.
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

Relocating is probably best, but I did the skid plate route on both Jeeps. I've never had a problem. The skids sold for them are pretty heavy duty and the canister is actually in a spot that's hard to hit to begin with. There are very few scratches on my skids, and none of them are heavy. It's still worth scrapping the stock one (useless) and investing in an aftermarket one, though.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Whats an E-Vap canister ? Old Skool Lives FjR68
AaronPerry
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by AaronPerry »

Hey Dan! Welcome!!
I'm a newbie to the club also (not to jeeps or jeep clubs). I hope to hit some trails soon as well. Just finishing up my build now. See you out there.
-Aaron
14 Rubicon
4.56, 37" STT Pro on 17" Slabs, Evo Double D Pro, Evo front/rear bumper, aFe Hi-Tuck, RCV Front shafts, G2 gold rear shafts, EVO/Rockhard skids, Crawler Concepts corners/fenders, Rockhard sliders, Full Hydro Steering