Building an AR10 .308

You can talk about anything here
Spudcannons
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Building an AR10 .308

Unread post by Spudcannons »

Anyone have experience building AR platform rifles or doing convertions?
JKU Commando- I've tinkered with her a tiny bit.
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Building an AR10 .308

Unread post by johnsxj »

I've built a couple of AR-15 platform rifles.
What kind of information are you looking for?
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Spudcannons

Any, I've never built one my buddy just bought a pre-ban AR15 and wanted me to help him convert it to a .308 Winchester full auto
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

Check out Northeastshooters.com. There are a surprising number of Jeepers / Wheelers on there too.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
mark2215

Unread post by mark2215 »

Spudcannons wrote:Any, I've never built one my buddy just bought a pre-ban AR15 and wanted me to help him convert it to a .308 Winchester full auto
Not sure if you're being serious about this but I would advise you to research a lot more before doing anything. First, an ar-15 can't be converted to an ar-10. The physical dimensions are different. Second, it is very illegal to convert any semi-auto gun into full auto unless you're a licensed Class III FFL dealer/manufacturer. Not just slap on the wrist illegal but 10 years in federal prison and $250,000 fine illegal. As Modeler said, check out northeastshooters.com, we'll straighten you out. Specifically go to the NFA firearms section of the forum. Also, if you just want to convert an ar-15 to full auto and don't care about laws I would recommend not posting about it on a public forum.
Spudcannons

mark2215 wrote:
Spudcannons wrote:Any, I've never built one my buddy just bought a pre-ban AR15 and wanted me to help him convert it to a .308 Winchester full auto
Not sure if you're being serious about this but I would advise you to research a lot more before doing anything. First, an ar-15 can't be converted to an ar-10. The physical dimensions are different. Second, it is very illegal to convert any semi-auto gun into full auto unless you're a licensed Class III FFL dealer/manufacturer. Not just slap on the wrist illegal but 10 years in federal prison and $250,000 fine illegal. As Modeler said, check out northeastshooters.com, we'll straighten you out. Specifically go to the NFA firearms section of the forum. Also, if you just want to convert an ar-15 to full auto and don't care about laws I would recommend not posting about it on a public forum.
It's pre-ban so it's legal. It is caliber conversion maintaining the same lower which is a legal full auto lower so it follows all firearms laws and regulations both federal and state.
IronTortoise
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1994
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by IronTortoise »

I would suggest talking to the guys at Zero Hour Arms on the Brockton Easton line
mark2215

Spudcannons wrote: It's pre-ban so it's legal. It is caliber conversion maintaining the same lower which is a legal full auto lower so it follows all firearms laws and regulations both federal and state.
I'm not going to argue but please research more before you do anything. Caliber conversion is perfectly fine but the only thing being pre-ban gets you is the ability to use a collapsible butt stock and flash suppressor.
IronTortoise
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1994
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by IronTortoise »

I believe Spudcannons assertion is that the lower receiver which is the part of the gun considered a firearm is a legal full auto unit. I would hope as well that he is in possession of a machine gun license. Like I said the guys at Zero Hours arms are familiar with that kind of weapon platform and various conversions. Vito there is a Stoughton Police Officer and will be able to advise you on legality of your conversion
mark2215

Anything is possible but if he has a m16 receiver he would not be trying to convert it to full auto as it would already be and I highly doubt someone would try to convert a $15,000 m16 to ar10 but I have heard of crazier.
Spudcannons

It's my friends his dad is a lawyer and he is in law school so I believe he has the legal ends covered. I recommended him to just keep it and get an Alexander Arms semi .308 lapua. Full auto rifles made before 1994 AWB are protected by Hughes 1986 amendment to protect gun ownership rights keeping some legal to own and buy, and if you have an FFL there are not as many restrictions.