Mitchell Differential

Posimoto
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1954
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Re: Mitchell Differential

Unread post by Posimoto »

Voodoo Chile wrote:
Posimoto wrote:I'm curious if you talked to them and presented pics, if so what was their response?

he accused me of not breaking the R&P in properly. _ I did stopping several times for cool down on the drive home and it was fouled diff fluid due to off road use. there were a chit load of metal flakes that were either from before the swap or a bad setup. Its working OK several years later but he does not stand behind the work he just did and never was able to send me a pattern which I requested. the slap em together and call it good without documenting much. Im sure they would either a) remember Ryan and say look at the abuse to your Jeep or b) outright ignore him. #vendorFail
Jeff, thanks for the reply. You called for a good reason, because you broke in the gears correctly. If a customer has a complaint it should be addressed. But at the end of the day, in your case with the break-in, it's a he said, she said. For business sake he should have took care of you.

Ryan has a different situation and has great support for his argument. I'm AWS certified welder and pics don't lie. I'd be looking for a refund or parts in exchange for poor workmanship. If Ryan doesn't contact him maybe the worker who welded his axle is still working there, if he is still working there maybe he is still pushing out poopy welds. If Mitchells doesn't respond, or blows it off, it would add a lot of weight behind this thread. Just saying.
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

Posimoto wrote:I'm thinking your not addressing my post because nothing you posted has anything to do with my question, but I figured I'd ask because I wasn't sure.
I have had issues with them in a shop to shop setting and returned for re-work and spoken to them and sat in on conference calls with them about the problems, plural, and in the end the one shop decided not to do business with them again. I was involved in repairing their work several times and wrote a statement as a witness in a law suit they lost.

Each conversation included the words, "This has never happened before."

On the flip side, I bought a used D30HP 3.73+ carrier from them and a Yukon D35 side gear kit for a non C Clip axle and the sales service was great, low prices, too.
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

Posimoto wrote: Jeff, thanks for the reply. You called for a good reason, because you broke in the gears correctly. If a customer has a complaint it should be addressed. But at the end of the day, in your case with the break-in, it's a he said, she said. For business sake he should have took care of you.

Ryan has a different situation and has great support for his argument. I'm AWS certified welder and pics don't lie. I'd be looking for a refund or parts in exchange for poor workmanship. If Ryan doesn't contact him maybe the worker who welded his axle is still working there, if he is still working there maybe he is still pushing out ****** welds. If Mitchells doesn't respond, or blows it off, it would add a lot of weight behind this thread. Just saying.
Well said and good point.
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Quick update. I decide to email Dan at Mitchell for the hell of it, just to see what sort of response I would get. So far, one week later, crickets. I didn't ask him to "take care of me" or anything, but I would still expect some sort of reply thanking me for letting him know. I guess there's a small chance my email went into his spam folder since I had the two pics attached, but they are pretty small pics. And no, his reply back to me is not in my spam folder, I checked :-)
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Posimoto
Jeep Year: 1954
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Unread post by Posimoto »

Disappointing, more folks should know about this.
He will never have my business again.
Baseshakers

And here's the response I just received... " Morning Ryan, Sorry for the delayed response. That is breakage is very unusual. We've built hundreds of those units & this would be the first one I've seen broken. Did you hit something? Dan"
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by schwalby »

You should reply.

"No I did not hit anything. Like all Jeepers my Jeep is either stored in a climate controlled garage or sitting in a mall parking lot."
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by schwalby »

On a serious note they are a major distributor for Yukon Gear and Axle, I would let them know about the customer service you are getting. I can give you the direct email of their director of marking.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Baseshakers

It's tempting... I don't want to "destroy" Mitchell, but I also want to make sure others know what they are getting themselves into if they decide to do business there. I don't see Mitchell changing their ways, no matter what any of us do.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I know another BSJ ex-member who bought from Mitchell, had parts fail, and got nothing from them. Don't hold back on them Ryan... You're the 4th person I know who has had quality problems just in BSJ.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Baseshakers wrote:It's tempting... I don't want to "destroy" Mitchell, but I also want to make sure others know what they are getting themselves into if they decide to do business there. I don't see Mitchell changing their ways, no matter what any of us do.

My fear is really for the newbie that goes in and has these amateurs do work for them, never checks the fluid after the work is done and destroys a r&p or locker because Mitchell didn't set it up correctly... or clean the diff well enough after a breakage -which is my best guess as to how the screwed mine up. the ARB seems OK over a year later despite the extensive sludge and fines I found before wheeling it and after they did the work.

On my way home, I stopped and let the jeep cool down 3x on the way from Shrewsbury to Westford which is under 50 miles so I am certain it was nothing I did wrong... :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingargument: :violin: :snooty: Wont ever spend a dime there again or even consider asking them for anything for CFAC.... :teasing-knob: :music-guitarred:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Baseshakers

Mitchell Differential

Finally got around to one of my winter projects repairing the front truss which broke off completely. Flipped it over to weld in a plate to brace the corners and look what I found... another sh1tty weld from Mitchell. (FYI outer surface was already ground down flat by me prepping for the plate). 25% penetration, maybe? No bevel for the weld, and they didn’t even attempt to weld the inside. Pitiful workmanship.

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

A good way to repair that would be running a thin cutoff wheel the length of the crack for internal stress relief and penetration. Find the end of the crack and drill a small hole below it before you cut it and go to that hole. No Charge Bud. FjR68