Painting Process

Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Painting Process

Unread post by Baseshakers »

I'm curious what everyone's preferred painting process is. I know none of us follow the instructions on the cans exactly...

I'm asking because my rear bumper needs to be repainted. The first time I:
-wire wheeled it
-wiped it down with xylene
-sprayed it with rust converter, let sit for an hour or so
-wiped it down again
-used two coats of eastwood primer, letting it dry ~30 minutes in between
-used three coats of eastwood extreme chassis black, also letting it dry ~30 minutes in between

It's been ~3 years, and rust is showing through (and yes, even on the parts where I haven't bashed the hell out of it) Any recommended changes to the process? What's worked well for everyone else?
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Painting Process

Unread post by Frank »

Ryan : Lets start by saying you did more to that piece of steel then needed. The reason you have bleed through is , they cant put a lot of paint pigment in a rattle can or it wouldnt spray. Its really thin paint. You need to strip it to at least the primer and use someones spray gun . If you choose to buy one at say HF or Hcheapo , get a HVLP gun 30/40 buks for a cheap one. Make sure you have a water separator on the line in front of the gun. Buy Rustolium for 8 buks a quart and reduce it buy half ! Spray at 40/50 PSI depending on the gun. You will have to adjust the gun but they come with instruction . My take on the situation ! That is all. Merry Christmas FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Frank wrote:.... they cant put a lot of paint pigment in a rattle can or it wouldnt spray. Its really thin paint. FjR68
Very interesting! Good to know :handgestures-thumbupright:
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by schwalby »

I just sand off anything that is loose and spray it with a rattle can. May only last a little over a year but it doesn't take long to redo it either.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Baseshakers

Painting Process

Hmmm, so you think the prep and process is fine (ok, excessive) but the overall paint is just not thick enough, right? I do have a spray gun, water separator and secondary regulator, I just haven't used the gun in awhile... Reduce by half using xylene, correct?

Merry Christmas Franky!
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by del_TJ »

My front and rear bumpers have stayed rust free for over 5 years, except for where I have banged and scraped them of course. They came powder coated and I scuffed and top coated them with a clear coat. The rear bumper got a thick top coat of POR-15 clear coat (forgot the exact name), while the front one got a clear rattle can from Eastwood. Can't hurt if you want to give it a try.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Ryan : Most paint mfgs. Tell you on the can what to use for a reducer , (not thinner) With Rustoleum I use the same reducer I would with auto paint. You look right there on the rack with the paint , its probably right there. The clear coat can be added to the paint or done after. Without a sealer it will fade quicker as the clear is like a sealer. Most types on paint can use reducer and only a few use Naptha for a reducer. Respirator required ! Reducer suspends the paint pigments and thinner will break them down , (thin paint) . Any thing you paint out of your gun will look better and last longer simply because your applying paint at your rate not what can come out of the little spray nozzle on a can. Cans are great if your putting her in the show at the mall , but I really dont see that style with you , Even if Cat is with you ! Merry Christmas you two FjR68
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Ryan- buy a can of any kind of brush-on bed liner and stop worrying about it.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Baseshakers

Franky, thanks for the help! Ended up painting it this weekend... Time will tell. Don, not a bad idea but I've seen Bedliner peel up pretty easily. However if this doesn't hold up I'll try that next!
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

I used Dupli-color sand finish undercoat on my bumpers. They say on the can its paintable but I havent had much luck with it sticking after a hit. I leave them black now minus any paint and it seams to be almost chip free. Totally did the whole underside also. Black can with big white insert on the front label . They have a thicker rubberized one that I dont care for as when its wicked hot out it gets tacky again. FjR68
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

The more gloss in your spray can, the better the paint works.
I like it with a little less gloss, usually, but it is better when it sticks and seals better. The gloss keeps it cleaner, less friction.

Rustoleum Industrial Grade spray paint is the best I've used. It costs more, but it also coats better and lasts longer.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I've been told you should cut the canned rusoleum with mineral spirits in the proportions Frank said for use in an HVLP gun... Never tried it myself.

JW
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Again : Most paint Mfg. include that info right on the label . Most will indicate reducer,mineral spirit,Naptha (respirator) FjR68