Suggest a replacement tire?

You can talk about anything here
ChrisH
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Suggest a replacement tire?

Unread post by ChrisH »

Anyone care to offer suggestions on a replacement tire for the Michelins that we currently have on our 2012 Overland?

The OEM tire has worn very poorly. Would prefer to find something that holds up a bit better. I run BFG on my pickup, and Goodyear on the TJ, both of which I like, but a quick search on Tire Rack shows that Firestone and Michelin are the bestsellers for this vehicle. Michelin used to be a pretty good tire, as I recall. I'm a bit suprised that we've seen this type of wear.

FYI, it's my wife's vehicle, so the replacement needs to be something that's intended for highway driving primarily. Althought I can appreciate those of you that will suggest swampers, my (TJ owning) brother has already done that. :-)

My thanks.
Si vis pacem, para bellum...

Row faster, I hear banjo music...
Captian Carnage
Jeep Year: 2004

Re: Suggest a replacement tire?

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

firestone Destination are good tires high milage over 40 K
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I hear very good things about Toyos...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ChrisH
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisH »

Guys - thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.
Si vis pacem, para bellum...

Row faster, I hear banjo music...
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I had the the Toyo Open Country AT on my truck and put them on our WK around a year ago.... Very happy with the Toyo and I'd buy them again.

Just put a new set of tires on the truck in July... Was going to do a Toyo again, but couldn't get the size I wanted so I ended up going with a Hankook Dynapro ATM, which I'm happy with so far (though I can't comment on longevity yet).

I also had a set of Toyo performance summer tires on my Subaru a few years ago and I was very happy with them... Overall I'd say Toyo is a good brand. The Subaru also had some Hankook snow tires I was happy with, which contributed to going with Hankooks on the truck.

JW
walshy78
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by walshy78 »

I also went with Toyo's the AT2's a little pricy but have been great in all conditions!
~Jay Walsh~

I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party. - Ron White
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

So, yeah - I sell all kinds of tires and keep recommending Toyos because I am convinced. I did not know the tread warranty, though. AT IIs have a 65k mile warranty.
There are no incentives for me recommending one tire over another, in fact, other brands do produce a higher sale margin.

My recommendation to customers, web wheelers, etc is based on results and my own interest in seeing people get what I believe are the best parts.
(We could sell a lot of Rough Country lift kits - but we don't!)
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Another vote for the Toyos. I put a set of ATs on my JK in 2009 for the trip to Moab. They performed great out there on the rocks, the JK went absolutely everywhere I pointed it. Game home and left them on, been wheeling here in New England ever since. Last fall was the first time I had any trouble - they were down to less than 1/2 inch tread. Today, with 65K miles on them they still work great on the street. I'm getting a new set of AT2s with the axle upgrades that I'm waiting on parts for.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein