Still around...need help finding metal tube

You can talk about anything here
88jeepxj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Still around...need help finding metal tube

Unread post by 88jeepxj »

So the XJ hasn't hit a trail in a year and a half(ugh it sounds worst seeing it in print!). I do have a 4 month old baby girl now though! :) :music-rockout:

The rockers finally left. They were rusty and I laid they both down on some nasty rocks last run and that finished them off. I cut them out to try to stop the rust but haven't replaced them yet.

I'm going to replace them with tube steel to make a rock guard. I do have premade XJ sliders. Maybe I could make them work in this custom setup Anyway, I live in Peabody, do any of you know a metal supply shop in the area that will have tube stock?

Thanks and hope to see you soon.
ArticRubi
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Still around...need help finding metal tube

Unread post by ArticRubi »

I don't know about going north to NH, but Central Steel is in Marlborough, MA. They have me a decent price on a recent 1.5" .120 DOM order. I got some 1.5" schedule 40 for cheap there too. DOM is order only, pipe is generally on the shelf in about any size.
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988

Unread post by johnsxj »

www.speedymetals.com prices are good, shipping is reasonable, all kinds of shapes and sizes of steel, they'll cut to the length you want, it gets delivered to your door, and you don't have to call/run around looking for prices and availability!

Here's a couple pics of what I did on my XJ with some JKS super nerfs

The piece of angle iron goes up under the door sills to give extra support.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
88jeepxj
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by 88jeepxj »

John that's awesome, exactly what I was envisioning. Any photos of how it attaches under the door sill? I may have a little less rocker left than you did. I am also worried about it rotting out again. How did you paint the pieces inside the sill?

Thanks
Jeff