Jay from Somersworth, NH

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
nostaw

Re: Jay from Somersworth, NH

Unread post by nostaw »

You can also cut the antenna wire to tune instead of the antenna... It does help if you know how to make a proper connection on the end of it though.

JW
walshy78
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by walshy78 »

Kodi wrote:wait for ittttt.....wait for itttt.... glad you are coming along in the "build" of a REAL Jeep! HA!! kidding Jay!

HAHAH!!!!!! :lol:
~Jay Walsh~

I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party. - Ron White
walshy78

nostaw wrote:
walshy78 wrote:If I'm able to pick up the budget boost soon is there anyone that wants to teach a newbie how to install it? :pray:
I can lend a garage if you want some help and don't mind driving to Hollis.... Got air tools and plenty of room. I'm sure we can drum up a few other monkeys to wrench on it if we offer a free lunch.

JW
HOLLIS I'M THERE!!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!! As soon as I have the kit in hand I''ll reach out! PIZZA FOR ALL THAT WANT TO JOIN! :handgestures-thumbupright:
~Jay Walsh~

I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party. - Ron White
walshy78

And thanks all for the tuning feedback. I took a look and it def looks like a "pre-tuned" one no ability to adjust. I did get a spring for the base and the antenna is super long in my opinion. About 18in to 2 feet above the roof.... So i'm not apposed to cutting it!
~Jay Walsh~

walshy78

PS - When I hook up everything I do get some truckers with real southern accents and what seems like a Spanish channel! ;)
~Jay Walsh~

nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Ok, let me know when.

My weekends are fairly open.

JW
walshy78

nostaw wrote:Ok, let me know when.

My weekends are fairly open.

JW
Will do! Thank you Again!
~Jay Walsh~

Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

walshy78 wrote:And thanks all for the tuning feedback. I took a look and it def looks like a "pre-tuned" one no ability to adjust. I did get a spring for the base and the antenna is super long in my opinion. About 18in to 2 feet above the roof.... So i'm not apposed to cutting it!
Regardless of the length, if anything you may only end up shaving a little bit off - you won't even notice the difference. The long ones are good for long-range reception. The one on my rig is a 2' shorty - barely peaks above the roof. I do have a longer one, but it doesn't fit in the garage. :roll: Besides, we're usually on a few feet away from each other anyway! :lol:
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
walshy78

Hey Guys!

So I guess I got my dates mixed up and missed the 101 setup this past sat. :doh: Sorry about that! I am going to put the rest of the rides in my calendar so it doesn't happen again.

I got my smittybuilt rock sliders on last week and very happy with the outcome. I've also been obsessing over tires and started thinking about the GY DuraTrac's in a 285/70 17. I found this write up and they look pretty sweet and might be able to squeeze them in w/o any rubbing. I also was able to test drive another 4dr sport with a set on them but they were 265/70 17 and that size would be shorter then the stock 255/75 17s. And I don't think I want to go the route.

http://www.jeepfan.com/projects/goodyea ... tallation/

Hopping to get the 2.5 AEV BB kit this week.... Fingers crossed.
~Jay Walsh~

walshy78

Hi All,

Just wanted to shoot out an update. I grabbed the 2.5 budget boost on Craigs last week and the guy who I bought it from actually helped me install it as well!

@nostaw - Jay, THANK YOU again for the offer to help me too! It was very much appreciated! He was right up in York, ME so no much of a trek ;)

I also wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on a wheel package I was looking at.

These wheels: ION Steel Matte Black
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92616_5304_07.htm
16x8 5x127

With these tires: Mastercraft Courcer AXT
http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Light ... r-AXT.aspx
285/75 R16E

Or for $200 more....

Toyo Open Country AT2
http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open- ... rain-tires
Same size

If I go to a 16 wheel and tire package I can offload my stock 17s with the tires and get more $ then only selling the stock tires (and not have to deal with wheel spacers to get 33s to fit).

My Q's are:
- Should I be concerned with the E load range?
- Are the Toyo's worth 200 more then the Mastercrafts?
- Anyone have any feedback on the Mastercrafts? I think they are a new design for them this year so I can't find many reviews about them.

FYI - I did RSVP for the 101! Looking forward to learning lots more tomorrow!!!!!!
~Jay Walsh~

Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Do not go e load. Your tires will never flex
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Jay - just my opinion but the Toyos are worth the extra money. I put a set on my 2009 JK within 6 months of buying it, took it to Moab that fall and have been offroading around here with the club ever since. I air down to 10 -12 PSI for the trail, and have not had any trouble offroading until recently. That's because the tires have 60k miles on them and are down to 3/8" tread depth. Time for a new set. I'm going with the Toyos again, I think they're great. And they flex just fine.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
ArticRubi
Jeep Year: 2008

Unread post by ArticRubi »

I had trail grapplers, load range E, they flexed just fine when aired down. They're basically the same tire. Neither of them clear mud that well. Check out Interco SSR's. Hard to beat 'em around here.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ASauer17 »

I am probably the only one who LOVES their American Racing wheels and BFGs A/T tires :)
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
walshy78

Thx for all the quick responses guys/gals! You all rock! Super helpful!

@ DDewar53 - Looks like my only options for 16s are "LT285/75R16 126/123R E/10" on http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open- ... rain-tires what size/load do you run?
~Jay Walsh~