A New Guy in East Longmeadow MA

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
jcbeaty
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2002
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by jcbeaty »

Hi, I'm Jonathan. I was reading on the Internet that the best way to find places to go off roading was to join a club. I found BSJ and it looks like it would be a good fit. The problem is, I don't have a Jeep yet.
I figured if I join the forum, you guys might be able to help me out by steering me in the right direction.
I'm looking to get a Grand Cherokee Limited. We like to camp so I need the extra room. I have read that the best year to buy is the 98. Although from a mechanics view, the plain cherokee with the straight 6 is the way to go (so I hear). But I really like all the frills you get with the Grand Limited.
So do you have any advice on year/model? I would love to be in a Jeep within the month and meet up with the club. I have been looking through Craigslist mainly.
I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: A New Guy in East Longmeadow MA

Unread post by Carl McFly »

I don't have any suggestions re a Grand...... just wanted to say you made the right decision to start here! You won't meet a better bunch of people. I joined a few years back, and as long as I own a Jeep, I'll always be a member. Welcome!
Last edited by Carl McFly on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Roxie
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Roxie »

I can't lie - the straight six is a sexy engine. I'm on my 4th jeep with them in em. My CJ has some beastly giant thing that sounds like a harley...but I digress. As someone who has owned a few of em and drives them like she stole them, I have NEVER had a mechanical problem with my straight 6's. I even got one up to 200K miles before she was stolen. I like to think they kept driving her.

That being said - I'm a new member here, and these guys have been some of the most helpful I've met in my ump-teen years of wheeling. And they don't even really know me yet!
:happy-bouncyyellow: Roxie
Ding - 04 TJ Rubi
Berto - 74 CJ5 Project
jquader
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by jquader »

Roxie wrote:And they don't even really know me yet!
Strapless Dresses
Flip-Flops
And PB&J

Is there more to know?
BSJ Secretary 2019, 2013, 2012 - DOT 2015 - DOE 2017, 2016

I wonder what's on the other side.
Roxie

Unread post by Roxie »

Hey! Next time I will wear boots, as the tattoo won't be so new. But you're still getting a dress and a gluten free PB&J. A girl's gotta do her thing.

In fact, just for that comment, I'm going to go with an extra girlie dress and combat boots.
Ding - 04 TJ Rubi
Berto - 74 CJ5 Project
Roxie

Unread post by Roxie »

Haha - actually, I didn't have the tattoo excuse for that first one. I had the tattoo excuse for flip flops with the OSJ run last weekend. But seriously - I'm done with the flip flops and the dirt.
Ding - 04 TJ Rubi
Berto - 74 CJ5 Project
jquader
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by jquader »

Roxie wrote:Haha - actually, I didn't have the tattoo excuse for that first one. I had the tattoo excuse for flip flops with the OSJ run last weekend. But seriously - I'm done with the flip flops and the dirt.
Two weeks ago the new tattoo was on the back of the neck. Those are some hellacious boots.
BSJ Secretary 2019, 2013, 2012 - DOT 2015 - DOE 2017, 2016

I wonder what's on the other side.
Roxie

Unread post by Roxie »

jquader wrote:
Roxie wrote:Haha - actually, I didn't have the tattoo excuse for that first one. I had the tattoo excuse for flip flops with the OSJ run last weekend. But seriously - I'm done with the flip flops and the dirt.
Two weeks ago the new tattoo was on the back of the neck. Those are some hellacious boots.
Got two the next day - one on the foot, and one on the other ankle. Did a big mud trail in flip flops. It was ugly.

Jonathan - I promise that I don't normally hijack threads. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Ding - 04 TJ Rubi
Berto - 74 CJ5 Project
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Flip flops, mud, and tattoos are hot to me.

Back on topic...
Hi Jonathan. I like the ZJ's (93-98) with the 5.2L (318cid) V8. If you can find one, the 1998 5.9L Limited has nice power and really moves. I think any year regular Cherokee (except '84-'86 models with the GM 2.8L V6) would be a nice build too. The only issue you might find will be rust. If I had the time, I would search craigslists down south / west and grab a clean, rust free specimen. Post up if you need help with your build.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
jcbeaty
Jeep Year: 2002
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by jcbeaty »

Thanks for the welcome.
Roxie, I'll trust you aren't normally a 'Hijacker'.
Thanks Zaedock. I have had my eye on a few of the 5.9s I think that would be sweet. What do you think of the Limited Editions? Too much fluff? I know it's just more stuff that can go wrong, especially the climate control systems. Should I stay away from that stuff or is it all pretty reliable? I figure since I can't get a Wrangler, I might as well be comfortable.
Do you agree about the 98? I think I read because of the transmission and transfer case or drive train is much heavier duty than the later years. Does that sound right? Or it's not that big of a difference?
Thanks again.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but keep in mind a ZJ is harder to build than an XJ... Less aftermarket support and more integrated molded plastic exterior trim.

I would research what it takes to do the mods you want and be sure you have some idea what $ you're going to need to spend to get a vehicle you want.

Good luck!
midniteryder
Jeep Model: KK Liberty

Unread post by midniteryder »

jcbeaty wrote:Hi, I'm Jonathan. I was reading on the Internet that the best way to find places to go off roading was to join a club. I found BSJ and it looks like it would be a good fit. The problem is, I don't have a Jeep yet.
I figured if I join the forum, you guys might be able to help me out by steering me in the right direction.
I'm looking to get a Grand Cherokee Limited. We like to camp so I need the extra room. I have read that the best year to buy is the 98. Although from a mechanics view, the plain cherokee with the straight 6 is the way to go (so I hear). But I really like all the frills you get with the Grand Limited.
So do you have any advice on year/model? I would love to be in a Jeep within the month and meet up with the club. I have been looking through Craigslist mainly.
I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.
hope this is last time this guys thread gets so hijacked! I will keep my eyes open for you Jonathan down here on the South Shore. My wife Carol(Widowmaker) & i can you shoot you a PM if we see anything worth looking at. We currently own 2 tj's and a JK. Good luck. :)
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Jonathan,
The Grand Cherokee is a nice ride, but the while the V-8 really scoots, they also suck down fuel. Most GC's with the 8 also have the aluminum D44 rear axle which if you're planning to build your Jeep has very limited options for gearing and traction aids. Like Jon pointed out, aftermarket parts are less easy to come by and cost more $$$.

The XJ Cherokee actually fits more stuff inside. If you look around, there's XJ's that were optioned out quite well with power everything and leather.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

My last post was on my phone, so I didn't get to put in this part...

The pre-'96 XJ is hard to find without a worn out driveline and/or rust issues. If you think about going for an XJ I'd recommend a '98-'01... Avoid the '96-'97. From what I've read Jeep didn't finalize the wiring harness changes until late '97, so you can find that the '96/'97 models don't always match the manuals. In '96 they switched to OBD-II, which isn't as friendly if you want to mod the engine for power, but the engine isn't underpowered in stock trim.

The later model XJ also has better rear axles standard (29 spline C8.25) rather than the D30/D35 or the 27-spline C8.25, and the most general after-market support. A C8.25 isn't as robust as a D44, but they are stout and can be easily upgraded with alloy shafts (if needed) and have a good selection of gears / lockers available.

JW
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Hi Jonathan : Im in Enfield,Ct. We have only a few members this far south. This is a great club, you will enjoy it ! I agree with the choice of a Cherokee over a grand. The after market support for the Cherokee is at least three times what the grand will have. You also have a much better chance of finding one with the better axles. Which by the way is one of the first things you will address. Gears and lockers baby ! I have a 74 CJ-5 with the inline and built . Ive never had a power issue. I think they make more torque down low than the v-8 which is more important than Horse power. Feel free to look me up,and get together and B.S. FjR68