Goferit Offroad

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Goferit Offroad

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Just want to put in a good plug for Goferit Offroad. Our illustrious editor at larger Carl McFly vetted them somewhat with his purchase for a tie rod flip kit. I was looking to spend some small coin on my TJ and the tie rod flip is high on my to do list due to my drive by braille approach to wheeling. I wanted to ensure that this flip kit would work with an aftermarket tie rod from Currie so I went to the site poked around and did not find the answer, clicked on the contact us link fired off a quick email on a Friday night. I'd have thought these folks were in California as within an hour I had a prompt reply that yes these do indeed fit my application. I placed an order using paypal on the 15th in the evening and by Wednesday I had a pretty little USPS box in my mail box with my parts, easy to follow instructions and an invoice. Very nice opreation they have! :like:

http://www.goferitoffroad.com/

:bluesbros:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Goferit Offroad

Unread post by johnsxj »

Yep, they're a good little company. That's where I got my inserts from.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Me also. Make sure to preheat the knuckle when you tac weld the inserts. Flip on ! FjR68
johnsxj

Unread post by johnsxj »

Frank wrote:Me also. Make sure to preheat the knuckle when you tac weld the inserts. Flip on ! FjR68
Didn't bother with preheating mine :-o I did hose them down with Lincoln anti-spatter before welding though.
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I turned the heat up and they burned in fine. I didn't just tack them per instructions either. I did a full perimeter weld, one quarter of the round at a time. When I was done, it came out nice and smooth so as not to rip the tie rod boot.

Note: If you flip the tie rod, you'll need to add an insert to the tie rod as well (at least on a YJ). I TIG'd it at work, for a clean look, but it didn't hold well. When I came home, I MIG'd it and she was nice and strong. I think it was the material the tie rod is made from (Crown YJ tie rod). A few years worth of turning 300 lbs of tires and they're still holding up fine. I anticipate inderstructability (is there such a thing?) when the 38's move to the buggy and the YJ down sizes to 33's.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
johnsxj

Unread post by johnsxj »

Yep, fully burned mine also with flux core wire. Had to touch up the tops with a flap wheel on the grinder (flux core remember). After 5-6 years, they're still nice and tight.
Function over form=4x4