Auto Zone

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Auto Zone

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Bought a replacement steering box from Auto Zone a couple years ago, after my factory piece decided to call it quits. People warned me about AZ steering boxes but I've heard it before. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong. I've been in denial for a few weeks now, thinking maybe my rig was handling different with the new lift. But 'they' were right. The steering box is garbage and I'm replacing it :angry-cussingblack:

I have like 4 inches of play in my steering wheel at TDC. The linkage is good, the input shaft to the steering gear turns but the output does nothing, until the wheel is turned more

Fortunately, AZ has a limited lifetime warranty

Unfortunately, I'm installing another AZ POS

But it happened at home, I have an AZ 2 miles from me and it's cake to replace

Oh yeah - maybe I can do a tech article for Tracks :bluesbros:
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: Auto Zone

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

X2 on az steering boxes. The one you and Kurt helped me replace was a year old :(
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I use 79-86 Camaro boxes. Cheap if used, easy to install. They have a 4 bolt pattern I only use three but it bolts right up. Ill bet its the same for yours. Its a Saginaw box. I can steer clearly now the slop is gone (sing) kinda fits . FjR68
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

67 - 92 Camaro's all used Saginaw boxes, some with varying ratios and hose type configurations (O ring or compression fittings / metric and standard). There are 4 turn and 3 turn lock to lock models. Road race versions used 2 turn boxes (not recommended for street driving).

The box to use is a Saginaw 800 with the "76" casting. This is typically the pre-1977 box. I used this box to upgrade the circle top steering box in my Malibu drag car years ago.

Regarding Jeep box swaps, I found this:

http://www.nwjeepn.com/SteeringGear.html
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Thats what I got Joe :) I happen to get the first one out of a 79. I have a spare Box and pump on the shelf. They are a lot quicker than the 17x1 Manual box I had. The fact they bolt right in was key. FjR68
Widow Maker
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by Widow Maker »

In '09 had to replace my stock steering box - somebody told me AZ was good. Returned it after 3 days my steering was so bad. AZ got really nasty about returning it and practically threw our refund money at us and told us to leave. I bought an AGR Pump and Box and no complaints with this product.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Bought a steering box from AZ for my old TJ. Paid the price & $85.00 core deposit. Changed out the box and brought the core back a different kid says to me
"We don't charge core deposit for steering boxes."
Me: "What?"
Kid: "We don't charge core deposit for steering boxes."
Me: "The what's this $85.00 charge that says Core Deposit right here on the receipt?"
Kid: "Well, I don't know, but we don't charge core deposit for steering boxes."
Me: "Get your manager over here right now!"
Kid: "He's not going to give you anything either."
Me: "Are you deaf or stupid? I said get your F&*%&ing manager over here RIGHT F&*%&ing NOW"
Kid runs away.
Manager comes up, gives me my refund, and tries to explain to me that the kid is new.
I said "At this rate, he's not going to get much older"
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
midniteryder
Jeep Model: KK Liberty

Unread post by midniteryder »

Ma Deuce wrote:In '09 had to replace my stock steering box - somebody told me AZ was good. Returned it after 3 days my steering was so bad. AZ got really nasty about returning it and practically threw our refund money at us and told us to leave. I bought an AGR Pump and Box and no complaints with this product.

X2 Carol. Both managers chased us out the door yelling profanities at us. Carol leaned on her horn so they looked pretty stupid on the sidewal and luckily we dint hear what they were saying. I have a P.S.C. steering box for my jeep and am very happy with it!
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

midniteryder wrote:
Ma Deuce wrote:In '09 had to replace my stock steering box - somebody told me AZ was good. Returned it after 3 days my steering was so bad. AZ got really nasty about returning it and practically threw our refund money at us and told us to leave. I bought an AGR Pump and Box and no complaints with this product.

X2 Carol. Both managers chased us out the door yelling profanities at us.

I would have been right in his face. :violence-smack:
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Widow Maker
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by Widow Maker »

ZAEDOCK wrote:
midniteryder wrote:

X2 Carol. Both managers chased us out the door yelling profanities at us.

I would have been right in his face. :violence-smack:
Joe - you will be happy to know I DID! Unfortunately my Slavic temper got the best of me (short fuse) and I let them know how I felt. Both Mgr and Salesperson chased me out the door to my Jeep. I camethisclose to chasing them around the parking lot in my Jeep but common sense prevailed - did not want to spend in night in the hoosegow! LOL! :handgestures-thumbupright: