LA options

schwalby
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

LA options

Unread post by schwalby »

So looking ahead I am trying to plan a LA upgrade for fall / winter and not sure who to go with, Clayton or Rusty. They both have loyal followers but still don't know which way to go, they seem pretty different.

Clayton $1,725.00

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info. ... cts_id/137

Rusty $1,350.00 (I like how he has the high clearance option)

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.m ... sus_tj_kit

This is what I have now, hoping to sell whatever parts I don't need off. (keep in mind Jeep has seen little off road use. Figured I would beat you all to the punch)

3"BDS shocks and springs
JKS adjustable control arms, upper and lowers
Terraflex belly up
JKS adjustable track bars front and rear.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
ChrisD

Re: LA options

Unread post by ChrisD »

schwalby wrote: (keep in mind Jeep has seen little off road use. Figured I would beat you all to the punch).
Ahhh you made a funny! I talked to Louabout this, unless your going 4"+ lift there in really no benefit going with a long arm kit. With that said, I don't have any first hand experience to back that up. So if you pull the trigger, I would love to see/hear if it really matters.
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

Out of those 2 I would look at the Clayton set-up but as long as your looking check out the Rokmen mid-arm system. I think the call it the freak or something like that.
SidewaysTim
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

Strike that, the Rokmen stuff I'm thinking of must be their custom fab stuff.
Scott
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by Scott »

I'd go with Clayton. Local guy that'll stand behind his product should something go amiss.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Clayton stuff is tough. Not sure of the cost vs benefit of a long arm with that amount of lift though.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I'd avoid Rusty's Offroad... I've heard some swear by them and assure me they fixed the quality issues, but it seems like it isn't worth the risk (IMHO).

Always heard good things about Clayton though, and they're fairly local (Waterbury, CT) if you need to talk to them.

JW
redlightrubi

Unread post by redlightrubi »

Don't count out Poly Performance and GenRight..... Or home built which is the direction I'm going, TNT Customs has a great setup too. TNT would be the direction I went if I were buying a "kit".

Home built will be double triangulated rear with mid-arm 3 link front. Right TJ?

Nick
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

TJEFF is running Clayton LA on his LJ Rubicon.

You may want to chat him up for some first hand info.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Ive been pleased with my RockKrawler LA, Its for a 6" lift but was dialed down for my 4" and 1"bl. havent had any real issues with it in a season of wheeling it.....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
schwalby

I sent an email to Clayton asking what he thinks about LA with 3" of lift, only having 3" is one of the things I have been wondering about.

I would love to go custom but I don't know a ton about LA and don't have anywhere near the skills to fab it. I will already be cashing in a bunch of favors to get a LA kit installed.
redlightrubi wrote: TNT would be the direction I went if I were buying a "kit".

Home built will be double triangulated rear with mid-arm 3 link front. Right TJ?

Nick
I won't buy anything from TnT any more. I bought their tube fenders and they had to send me a second set since the first ones were so badly built. You could see where they had pounded on them with a hammer and stuck them in a vice to bend sections. Did not come even close to fitting on the Jeep correctly. The set I have on now doesn't fit that great either and I am constantly replace hood latches due to miss alignment.

They have good customer service and replaced the first set no questions asked after I sent them pictures, but still had to wait over a month though for a new set to be sent to me.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
redlightrubi

Unread post by redlightrubi »

Thats too bad about the TNT stuff. I have their Fenders, Rockers, Corners and Tire Carrier...... though none of them fit "perfectly" but I understand that jeeps are never really "straight", even from the factory....

Nick
Captian Carnage

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

redlightrubi wrote:Thats too bad about the TNT stuff. I have their Fenders, Rockers, Corners and Tire Carrier...... though none of them fit "perfectly" but I understand that jeeps are never really "straight", even from the factory....

Nick
My genright high line fender kit fit perfect my roll cage fit perfect front right was off by 1/16 of a inch that after 2 roll overs with a stock cage A good company will have it set about 1/16 of a inch + or - They take 1 hell of a beating from rocks +big trees they dont dent or bend This after 1 year of running with mostly buggies and juggies If it last me a year and no dents Its a GREAT Product and company There long arm kits mount to the frame in all 4 spots Others mount to the skid plates like Clayton I can not bend or dent the rocker protection I have from Genright I dropped over a foot on to a rock a few time no dents ( I have 1/16 in deep scraps from rocks ) THATS A GOOD PART AND COMPANY Go with the best and you wont have to do it again thats Gen Right its expensive but worth every penny They are made to take a beating Check out there product line
Im running 36s with 3 1/2 in RE Short arm lift and 16 inches of front wheel travel and 14 rear wheel I always said do it once and for get it That RE 3 1/2 in lift is 4 years old I had to replace rubber bushings 6 times for about $100 total And thats 4 years of very hard wheeling I get the flex I want and the strength I need I dont have a bad word about RE or Genright those are the 2 best jeep companys out there Everything I broke was My fault not the parts fault
schwalby

Clayton's kit welds to the frame not the skid plate.

I have the GenRight gas tank skid and that thing is extremely beefy. Took a look at their LA kits and they look very rugged but at $2,400 to do the front and rear that is a little over my budget, just a little.
Josh Schwalb
Captian Carnage

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

I was thinking they rear went to the skid I still like gen right They Stuff is the best