BSJ Newbie Breaks His Jeep - on First Trail Run!

** NO TRAIL NAMES **
MattJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

BSJ Newbie Breaks His Jeep - on First Trail Run!

Unread post by MattJ »

First of all, thank you to everyone who participated in the Antrim, NH Class VI run yesterday! I had a lot of fun and learned a lot. It was especially good to finally meet Ralph in person - he is a great trail guide, that is for sure.

On the drive home, I was debating in my mind whether the highlight of the day was seeing Ralph winch his Jeep through a 5-foot deep swamp while the rest of the group retreated out the back door . . . or seeing a stock Rubicon get tow-strapped backwards and sideways between some trees after it took on water in the same swamp. But soon it became clear that my own Jeep would win the award for "most damage!

My steering had been acting funny for the last couple hours of the run, but I chalked it up to the fact I wasn't used to how a Jeep handles in 4WD high and low. But by the time I made it to the New Hampshire State Liquor Store rest stop on Route 89, I could no longer turn to the left. At all. Imagine seeing a muddy Jeep in the corner of a crowded parking lot, inching forward and backward with the steering locked hard right.

It turns out the bolt that connects the components of the steering stabilizer arm was loose, so the arm was sliding back and forth on the stabilizer for the last two hours of the run. Eventually it bent the anchor bolt and bracket, and finally seized up.

Eventually I got it to release in the parking lot and fellow BSJ member Brad showed me how to reset and tighten the bolt so that I could limp home. It is a real mystery how the bolt got loosened - I guess a rock strike could do that, but there didn't appear to be impact damage. Maybe a rock strike to the stabilizer arm bent the arm slightly and loosened the bolt?

Anyway, the lesson for other newbies is this: don't ignore anything that doesn't feel right! I turned a loose bolt into a repair that will require multiple parts to be replaced, I fear. The BSJ crew is full of experts that can be very helpful in diagnosing and fixing a problem!

It took an hour to wash off the mud, and who knows how many hours and dollars to get the repairs done, but I can't wait until my next trail run!

Photos:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuACtRAQNfF_goQoUXlMg-Bq0Janqw
Last edited by MattJ on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: BSJ Newbie Breaks His Jeep - on First Trail Run!

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

It looks like the bolt that holds the stabilizer on the axle has seen some damage and is bent pretty bad. I'm unfamiliar with the JK set up, but I believe you can get a relocation kit that moves the mounting point of the steering stabilizer to move it out of the way. Good to hear that fellow members help out as often as possible!
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Thanks for the kind words, Matt. Great looking Jeep you have there.

A couple years ago I knocked my steering stabilizer completely off one end at GG. Ended up installing a relocation bracket and a Teraflex stabilizer. Break/Fix/Repeat!

Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

Definitely do the relocation bracket. There's no point in putting it back where it was because I guarantee you'll hit it again!
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

The great thing about BSJ members, always willing to lend a hand no matter where you are!

I have seen several JK's suffer that same fate, relocate that bad boy and wheel it harder!
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
JohnC
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by JohnC »

I nailed my steering stabilizer shock last October during the Maine Jeep Jamboree. The short-term fix was to just remove it. Relocation kits are a must, and the aftermarket shocks are often better and cheaper than the OEM ones.
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by MattJ »

Took my Jeep back to Elias4WD. They tightened the bolt that connects the stabilizer to the tie rod. They banged on the bracket that anchors they stabilizer to straighten it. Fortunately, the bolt itself was not bent or weakened. I asked them about additional upgrades:

1) No need for a heavy-duty aftermarket stabilizer. The one I have is high enough (clearance).
2) Since I already have skid plates, they suggested differential covers, but didn't think they were really necessary.
3) Maybe Toyo mud tires instead of the 35" Toyo AT tires I am running? But also not necessary unless I plan to spend a lot more time on trails.

It was nice to get a quick repair at minimal cost, along with some advice that didn't involve pushing products and upgrades on me.

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

ATs are fine for what we do unless its wet . They also are better (quieter) on the road. MTs would help more off road but would be louder on road and usually dont last as long on road. FjR68