Bad Experience with 4WD

RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Bad Experience with 4WD

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

I placed an order with 4WD recently for filler primer, Deep Cherry Red Base paint and clear coat. I received the primer and clear coat last Thursday. I then proceeded to call customer service (CS) to inquire about the missing DCR base, I was told it wasn't in stock and would be dropped shipped by the manufacturer. When I asked "When?", he said he would call them if I didn't mind waiting, which I proceeded to do. He came back and said he had to leave a message and that they would return his call usually within 45 min. and then the CS rep would call me. I waited till the following day and still no call. I then emailed CS and provided all the details on Friday.

Here it is, Wednesday, and still no reply from either my call or email. So, today I called CS again and asked for the CS supervisor. Had to leave a message, but he did return my call within a reasonable time. He checked with the manufacturer and found out that it would be at least a four to five week backorder. I asked him that, had I not made three attempts to get further info, would I have been left in the dark another 4-5 weeks and then maybe I would have seen the paint? He didn't know. He did agree CS should have contacted me and they will work on the CS problem. I then cancelled the DCR base, called the local Jeep dealer and found they had it in stock for less money than 4WD.

I can't understand how companies can provide such poor CS when they all know that there are so many other vendors out there. I believe that if you have a problem with similar service with anything, you should take the time to let the company know. If they aren't made aware that they have problems, they'll never improve. Now that I know what their service is like, I will be using other vendors that I haven't had issues with. To top it off, knowing they didn't have the product, they charged me anyway!

Good luck to those who use 4WD. If it's not in stock, I feel for you.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Bad Experience with 4WD

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Good to know, I try to avoid companies like that. I ordered a rear bumper from Hanson Off-road back in march, long story short, I just got it on Tuesday. And to top it off, the plate (main support) that bolts the bumper to the frame cross member is welded in the wrong spot at a 45° angle! I contacted them to see what they are going to do about it but based on how it took 3 months to deliver and the lies they told me, they aren't going to do anything. They do have a workmanship warrantee but it states that the customer is responsible for shipping and I can't imagine what it costs to ship a 80 pound box to California. Looks like I will be cutting and welding a $900 bumper.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
LoneStarTJ
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by LoneStarTJ »

stop by our shop in the future in Auburn MA, see if we can get your parts your looking for. if we can its ususally 1-5 days away and we can always send back and replace any wrong or damaged parts no questions asked. We do alot of jeep builds up here at Rock n Road Outfitters. (508) 832-4949
1997 TJ
You can live in a Jeep, But you cant offroad a house
-Benjamin Franklin
Yipjeep

Unread post by Yipjeep »

You can always buy the exact paint needed from a local auto parts store. The federated auto near me will mix a spray paint can while I wait. Exact color. Plus they beat dealer price.
pirahnah3
BSJ Member

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Ralph, your not alone in this, I am currently about 3 months into my battle for a simple ARB fitting. I honestly no longer care (I pretty much ordered it to get free shipping as I was a couple bucks shy on the parts I needed). I was never informed of its back order status at the time of my order and was told "Everything is in stock in our Ohio warehouse so we will get this out to you shortly" I got my emails confirming the order and then within about a day I think it was my shipping confirmations, cool, no problems, two packages for 3 items, eh no problems. 1 Item was a larger piece, 1 was a backup lug wrench for my splined lugs, and the other item was the ARB connector. I figured the ARB connector and the lug nut socket were together.

Fast forward a few days, packages arrive with no issues, I get them home and no ARB connector...... Online we went to figure out what happened, couldnt get anywhere, so onto the phones. Same type of issues as Ralph describes, lack of call back at first and then some honesty that should have been there before. I dont care that it was back ordered, but it would have been great to know. Currently we have missed the first date for delivery and are awaiting the next assumed date. Not sure if I can blame 4WD totally on this one as ARB has a reputation to take a little while to restock some dealers, but the customer service from 4WD is a bit off.

I stick to Quadratec and Summit if im not on Amazon at this point. JC Whitney isnt too bad either depending on what I need. Just wanted to share my .02 on the subject and let Ralph know, he aint the only one.

Cory, I would be interested in coming up to check out yalls place as I am just a bit south so I will get in touch with you to set up a time.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
RalphTomaccio

Yipjeep wrote:You can always buy the exact paint needed from a local auto parts store. The federated auto near me will mix a spray paint can while I wait. Exact color. Plus they beat dealer price.
Good to know. Surprised they can do spray cans at all, let alone while you wait.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

RalphTomaccio wrote:
Yipjeep wrote:You can always buy the exact paint needed from a local auto parts store. The federated auto near me will mix a spray paint can while I wait. Exact color. Plus they beat dealer price.
Good to know. Surprised they can do spray cans at all, let alone while you wait.
There is a paint shop kinda nearby that does the same thing. Have purchased a few can of custom spray paint from them to match various Jeeps I've had.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

Don Kennett in Lawrence is an autobody supply shop. They can do this as well.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
Yipjeep

Unread post by Yipjeep »

RalphTomaccio wrote:
Figured I'd let you know in case you have another battle with a tree ;)
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Ralph/Jim, did you both call in your orders or just place them online? I know that whenever I call any place of business, they can do things on their end you'd never be able to see online. Like see where the parts are actually coming from, get expedited shipping on certain items, push for discounts/help on shipping and the like.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RalphTomaccio

I called my order in using my ID number. I had no issues with price or the free shipping, but their total lack of follow through in my requests for information and the fact they were going to let me wait 4-5 weeks minimum on a back order without telling me leaves me stone cold in ever wanting to do business with them again.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Most of the time the Cos. that mix paint will also go out to the vehicle with a Ray-Gun looking gizmo. It looks at your paint to help them mix it to what your paint is now that its been in the sun . The older the vehicle is the lighter it becomes. Cool tools are the best ! I just told LL Bean to take a hike forever ! Not so much for the screw-up on their part , it was their lack of righting or compensating me for the screw up. I was surprised on both counts . FjR68
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Everything I did was over the phone with follow up emails so I had written record. When I ordered they told me 3 weeks, after 5 weeks I called and they said it was in powder coating and was "shipping on monday". They told me that every week for 5 more weeks. I even called them out on that lie and they and they swore they had it in the shipping department and I'd have a tracking number that day. I waited a week, called back and they said "it's coming back from the powdercoater today and will ship on Monday". WTF! I canceled the order and asked for my money back. After a week (and no money) I called again and they said it had already shipped (couldn't find tracking number) and it showed up on my door a few days later and it was sent 2 days AFTER I demanded my money back. I went to install it and the main attachment brackets are welded in the wrong spot and cannot be utilized. Those bastards probably sent me a rejected unit so they can show my credit card company that they 'forfilled' my order (I had filed a mail fraud claim). I am now trying to deal with them over this workmanship issue but am getting blown off and I don't think they are going to do anything about it. I can fix it myself but I am going to ruin the powder coating and I'm not sure my 110v welder will do good enough welds. I may just end up selling it 'as is' and getting something else, I don't even want to deal with it anymore.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
pirahnah3
BSJ Member

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:Ralph/Jim, did you both call in your orders or just place them online? I know that whenever I call any place of business, they can do things on their end you'd never be able to see online. Like see where the parts are actually coming from, get expedited shipping on certain items, push for discounts/help on shipping and the like.
Yes, I always call in my orders, this was not the first time that things were back ordered and not mentioned until I had asked about them.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
RalphTomaccio

Frank wrote:Most of the time the Cos. that mix paint will also go out to the vehicle with a Ray-Gun looking gizmo. It looks at your paint to help them mix it to what your paint is now that its been in the sun . The older the vehicle is the lighter it becomes. Cool tools are the best ! I just told LL Bean to take a hike forever ! Not so much for the screw-up on their part , it was their lack of righting or compensating me for the screw up. I was surprised on both counts . FjR68
From LL Bean:

Dear Friend and Valued Customer,

I am so sorry for the order delays and confusion you may have experienced earlier this year, and I can only imagine how frustrated you must have been. Please know that I am grateful for your patience as we work through the most significant upgrade to our systems in our company’s history.

Two months ago, you received a message from Steve Smith, our President and CEO, offering you 20% off an order in the future. As a token of our gratitude for your patience, we are increasing that offer to 30% for you to use on a future purchase, anytime through September 2017, for anything – from a kayak or a tent to a pair of our small batch L.L.Bean Boots, whatever you want.

We are working diligently to make sure all our systems are back in order. However, there is still work to be done, which means there remains a small possibility you may still be impacted by delays or lengthier shipping times on future orders this summer.

Again, please accept my most sincere apologies and know we are committed to being a place you can trust to treat you fairly, with kindness, warmth and respect.

I hope that you’ll use this offer for something you’ll love, and that you’ll find plenty of time to spend outdoors with friends and family in the months ahead.

Wishing you a wonderful summer,

Raina Maxwell
VP Customer Satisfaction

Bean is known world wide for their customer service. First time I ever saw them slow down was with the above mentioned system upgrade. The letter is more than what I ever got from 4WD, from whom I am STILL waiting for my credit card credit to appear on my statement!