AGR Steering System

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

AGR Steering System

Unread post by Frank »

Hour and a half conversation with Matt about my AGR pump and Box(2) . He had me do all kinds of test ,idle temp,driving temp.jacking just scrubbing,no weight on tires. Just a complete runaround as far as Im concerned. I put this system in after Christmas 2013. Here it is way later in the year 9 whole months later and I can no longer be certain I will be able to turn left ! It turns right like normal. Two outings ago I started to notice that turning left was getting harder. If you clutch it a rev the motor you get little bits of turning power. Not so much anymore. Its just plain hard , even on the street in 2 wheel drive with the hubs in open. With the Jeep sitting still in the garage idling you can turn right but not left. I had installed a cooler and return filter on my own. Not required or suggested. He thought at first that was the issue . Well here I sit wondering whether to send it back to him or if there is something else I can try or fix it myself. He even said a ball joint could be frozen in one direction ! Is that even a possibility ? Hit me with some good news if you can . Thanks FjR68
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: AGR Steering System

Unread post by Modeler »

OK, split it into two systems to prove it is the AGR stuff that is the problem.

Disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm and see if the box itself will turn to the left from steering wheel input. Then, with the front end off the ground, can you manipulate the tires to both right and left with the same force to each direction?
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
mrfreakinwhite
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

I would jack the front, Jeep off, and steer the tires without using the steering wheel.

Check for resistance and look for contacting tie rods and stuff.

Yes, a ball joint can stick, but I've ONLY seen it on new ball joints. Moog problem solvers and Dynatrac rebuildable ball joints. Again, only when they are BRAND NEW and not broken in.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

With the engine up to temp the fluid is between 97-104 degrees. Not moving you can turn it right to the stop. By the time you get back to center it has so much resistance you have to spike the throttle to get it to move it at all. You hear the pump making noise , hard all the way to the stop. Lifted so tires just touching , you feel way more resistance to the left. Driving on the street it will go left but you feel the difference. If your slowing down from 40 mph , no brakes just slowing down rolling the wheel back and forth you feel the difference going left. If you accelerate while doing that the amount of left drag lessens but still more than right. In 4 WD crawling its almost impossible to go left and using the gas in spikes it gives you just a little at a time. After the test ride the fluid temp was between 137-141.5. Im convinced its the box. No damage to drag link or tie rod. They were flipped years ago and never hit. I installed this with brand new high psi hose and new return hose. Ran fine until we did Moose Mtn. I started to notice this. Its gotten worse really quick. I will disconnect the drag link today. I have Moog ball joints with grease fittings. Every one know it gets greased EVERY time I wheel. On two day events it gets greased that night for the next day. FjR68
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Removed the drag link and can rotate the tires back and forth to the stops. (Tires off the ground) Tried to lift tires with 3' flat bar ,all joints are tight. Called Quadratec and their records show purchase in Feb. Has a 1 yr. warranty . He is calling AGR for replacement and will call back this afternoon ! I hope , cause talking to Matt yesterday it seamed like he wasnt interested in anything I had to say. FjR68
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Problem solved : Q-tech Dan took care of it and being that they dont have any in stock He's having one sent from AGR to my door and I will send them mine. Thats a great Co. standing up for a product they sell and also stand behind their customers ! 12 yrs. with them and not one issue. FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

:banana-guitar:
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Its been awhile but I thought you should know Q-Tech sent me a new box . Installed ,bleed system , another new cooler and TaDa , I can turn in either direction ! Its sooooo much better I can actually turn this one with a finger . The steering is so free side to side its like having power steering ! I could never turn the first one with a finger or palm the wheel , you had to grip the wheel . It was smooth when new but not light like this one. Im thinking this is what its supposed to feel like to have power to turn big meats with ease . Im also changing the belt arrangement to run the pump on a smaller pulley to enhance below 1200 rpm . Hope this one last a bit longer. Thanks for listening to my whine . FjR68