Synergy Suspension

ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Synergy Suspension

Unread post by ArticRubi »

I've got to give a big thumbs up to Synergy on a recent customer service issue. I was doing a front end overhaul: new knuckles, RCV's, tie rod, and Synergy ball joints, during the installation I found that I had received a defective upper ball joint. The stud was way off center and couldn't be moved, even with the ball joint installed and hitting it with a 4 pound sledge. Found this out Saturday, called Synergy Monday morning, by close of business that day they were overnighting me a replacement, all they asked was I email them a couple of pictures of the defective ball joint. It arrived today (Tuesday afternoon,) and I was able to complete my installation.

Although I was a bit annoyed at getting a defective part....it happens. The difference between companies I will deal with in the future and ones I'll never deal with again is how they deal with screw ups. Synergy really stepped up in a big way to make things right for me...and the best part is I never had to use my angry voice with them :lol: I didn't even ask for the part to be overnighted, they just did it.

Here's a picture of the defective upper ball joint next to the good one, note the angle the stud is at.

And while I'm at it, a few pics from the completed install. I put in RCV's, a Currie tie rod, and Reid Racing knuckles. The knuckles are a really cool product, they relocate the tie rod to above the center line of the axle. Also, they're already drilled to 7/8" to accept a 1 ton tie rod end with a flipped drag link. 8-) Down side for you old school guys is you have to run a 17" or larger rim...which is a prerequisite for a big brake setup anyway. New Currie tie rod is great too: you bend/break it, they replace it. I love the you break it we buy it warranty :D

ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Synergy Suspension

Unread post by ChrisD »

Currie will really replace a bent tie rod? Is so they owe me a refund ;)
ArticRubi

Synergy Suspension

If you have their latest 4130 chrome moly, they'll warranty it.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Synergy Suspension

Unread post by DDewar53 »

I bought Synergy's heavy duty tie rod for my JK, and bashed it real good a couple of times out on the trail last time. Still perfectly straight, and the truck rides fine. I bet I could jack the front of the Jeep up on that thing, it's really tough.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Why wouldnt they put the tie rod on TOP of the knuckle ????? Bone Heads ! FjR68
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

Frank wrote:Why wouldnt they put the tie rod on TOP of the knuckle ????? Bone Heads ! FjR68
Because of the drag link location on top.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Both mine are on top . What gives ? How did they change over the years to make it undo-able. If their going through the bother of making a new style knuckle , why wouldnt they fix the issue ? Bone heads ! FjR68
ArticRubi

Synergy Suspension

There are a number of reasons Frankie. Without flat top knuckles and a proper double shear setup it's a bad idea to setup the drag link and tie rod end through the same bolt, on the same side of the knuckle; too much stress even for a 7/8" grade 8 bolt. They also don't want to move the drag link mounting point too far inboard as it would shorten the drag link too much. This would cause a lot of wrap steer and throw the steering geometry waaaay off in setups with a track bar.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

I see said the blind man , Its the track bar issue. I dont have one of them. Not being a smartaas , I have a drag link to the right side knuckle, and right behind it is the tie rod end for the tie rod. Both are on top. Two separate holes .I flipped them with weld in inserts. The pitman arm rod end is still on the bottom. Where is the geometry difference between a CJ and a TJ or JK ? It cant be the track bar as it mounts to the axle . Is it a clearance issue with that? I just dont get it?????? FjR68
mrfreakinwhite

The pumpkin on the driver side, during flex, is something that needs to be cleared. The track bar mounting bracket and stabilizer brackets and the
front of the coil buckets while turning.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Soooo , we think the ball joints are worth this much money ? FjR68
mrfreakinwhite

Absolutely. Positive sealing to keep grease in and mud out. Sintered metal ball with grooves to get the grease in where it is needed vs plastic bushings on teflon crap. You're lucky you have a CJ where the OEM provided a ball joint instead of a piece designed to save weight and meet minimum requirements. WJ and JK Jeeps have craptacularly weak ball joints.

And for wheeling and oversized tires, MJ.TJ/YJ/XJ/ZJ ball joints stink, too. The price difference isn't that much for great vs questionable.

Synergy Suspension ball joints aren't even the EXPENSIVE ones. Rebuildable dynatracs... People pay less for complete 8.8 ford rear ends.