Steves Jeep Country

wesley4x4
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Steves Jeep Country

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

i would give them a 3 out of 5 i wasn't entirely impressed with the communication between myself and the mechanic, the parts that were issued are already showing signs of rust and OE parts were put on and i wasn't informed that for example Quick disconnects were only 10 dollars more... not everything was completed on the work order i went to leave and noticed my e-break was not functional and ended up having to wait for that THEN HERES THE KICKER!!! when i found out how much more quick disconnects cost i asked sens my jeep hasn't left the lot can they just swap them out for me his response "sorry once they are on your vehicle we cant take them back off you can pay for the quick disconnects and we will put them on" at that point i stopped talking and left and just asked for my keys.. not entirely satisfied wish they were more understanding to the consumer and had better customer service... also when i dropped it off he kept insuring me that my death wobble is due to my bald tires and i need new tires im like LOOK ITS NOT MY TIRES!!! its something to do with the steering, he rolled his eyes at me and said ok.. i wanted to take my keys back at that point but said F it i drove all the way up here might as well go threw with it.. bad decision on my part..

learn from my 800 doller mistake witch included a
rebuilt gear box
"heavy duty" (ya right) steering linkages
OE spec swaybar links
OE spec steering stabilizer
power steering hose
ebrake adjustment
Last edited by wesley4x4 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
wesley4x4

Re: Steves Jeep Country

sorry just venting but i mean come on!!!
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

I understand that not everyone might have the proper tools or time, but this is why I do all my own work. If the install is poor work, no one to blame but myself.
Widow Maker
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by Widow Maker »

wesley4x4 wrote:sorry just venting but i mean come on!!!

Rob and I feel for you! Same thing happened to us. Accumulating tools and a Haynes Jeep Manual - figure if we can fix things around the house - why not our Jeeps??? :|
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

wesley4x4 wrote:learn from my 800 doller mistake witch included a
rebuilt gear box
"heavy duty" (ya right) steering linkages
OE spec swaybar links
OE spec steering stabilizer
power steering hose
ebrake adjustment

If that was $800.00 including labor for the items listed, that's actually pretty decent pricing.

Personally, I would have either dealt with Lou (who I've known when he worked for Hunter Engineering servicing our alignment machines - Jeebus almost 20 years!) or Dom's, just for the service aspect alone. Plus, they have been HUGE supporters of New England wheeling.

I've actually thought about doing weekend side work, as there are really no Jeep specific shops in my neck of the woods, except Todd Landers (Endangered Species), which is west of me.

-Things that make you go hmmmmmm. 8-)
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
wesley4x4

PeaceFrog wrote:
wesley4x4 wrote:sorry just venting but i mean come on!!!
Rob and I feel for you! Same thing happened to us. Accumulating tools and a Haynes Jeep Manual - figure if we can fix things around the house - why not our Jeeps??? :|
yah haynes manuals are the best :D

well i got tools now and im doing all my own work so nothing like that will happen agin and yeah ill go to lou's next time if its too cold out to work on somthing :)
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Doms is up in Hampstead, NH .. he does excellent work and thats not too far from Derry...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
schwalby

Unread post by schwalby »

Should have posted you were going to Steve's, I would have told you to stay away from that place like the black plague. Horrible service, most of the techs don't know what they are doing and the ones that do don't stick around long because the see what crap work goes on there.

I could go on and on and give at least two examples that I was directly involved with but I think my point is obvious.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
wesley4x4

also the price of their rigs that are forsale you would think that they were made out of gold lol

well ill keep lou and dom in mind next time i go see a mechaninc
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

... or just bring your rig to one of our Wench Fests at U-Do-It in Nashua...
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

Question... Why did you go to Steves in the first place and not ask for feedback first? Just asking?
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

people on ENH genreally can not say enough good things about Steves so Im a bit suprised to see Josh and Wes say this stuff. He has great feedback on thier site and seems to do farily good work based on some of the build threads ive seen over there... might be part of it...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
schwalby

Unread post by schwalby »

There are a few people on ENH that have had bad experiences with him. I was asked by someone I respect to not post on ENH about my experiences, that is why I haven't there. Why the others haven't I don't know, but if the topic comes up while sitting around the camp fire the stories come out.

One thing to kind of note too is that he never does anything for any non-ENH forums. All is promos and specials go to them only. This builds him up as being that much better to ENH. This might be why others don?t post up negative feedback, don?t want to go up against the ENH god vendor. His main competition is Dom but as we know Dom isn't very computer savvy so he doesn't post much which leaves ENH all to Steve. Early on the mods also made a conscious decision to not allow any other Jeep business as vendors in order to not take business from Steve. If you check out a lot of his builds they are not always that great, he goes for show more than anything. Look at that giant orange thing he built. First time they started it the torque of the engine twisted and cracked the frame. They ended up having to modify the motor to produce less torque in order for them to move it around. Didn't even fix the frame till about a year later if I remember correctly.

IMO it comes down to the fact that ENH attracts people that are totally new to wheeling, they see all the reviews he gets and use him, after the fact those that know better see the problems (like Wes) but others who don?t know better go on thinking what he does is the proper way. For those that catch the issues he falls back on crap customer service and trying to make the customer feel like they are the ones that don?t know better and that the customer is the one that failed to make sure they got what they wanted.

I think he personally just sticks with getting the new to wheeling market, they are the easiest to ?sell? to and he is a damn good sales man, a used car sales man.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
redlightrubi
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by redlightrubi »

Driveway, tools, and jack stands.... Thats how I did my whole suspension on my Cherokee when I lifted it back in '04-'05.... I have a hard time trusting people to work on stuff after a few bad experiences before I had my own tools and such. Plus, the more you learn, the easier it is to remove your broken inner shaft at the gutter... right Kurt?

Nick
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

redlightrubi wrote:.... Plus, the more you learn, the easier it is to remove your broken inner shaft at the gutter... right Kurt?
:lol:

Absolutely! :P

If you are capable always do your own work. Cheaper, and you'll know it was done right.

If your not sure ask for help. You'll then know how to do it next time and be able to help someone else.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020