Steves Jeep Country

redlightrubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Steves Jeep Country

Unread post by redlightrubi »

Actually, Kurt hits upon a great point there.... If you don't know how to do something, ask and most of us would be more than happy to help, show, and share skills we have picked up (most likely from each other) over the years.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Chris wrote:Question... Why did you go to Steves in the first place and not ask for feedback first? Just asking?
Voodoo Chile wrote:people on ENH genreally can not say enough good things about Steves so Im a bit suprised to see Josh and Wes say this stuff. He has great feedback on thier site and seems to do farily good work based on some of the build threads ive seen over there... might be part of it...
X2 Jeff! I've never dealt with that outfit but based on what I read on the ENH boards, this is a surprise. Wes, I can't question your decision to go there. You had a tranny rebuilt and I'm pretty sure that's above and beyond what we normally do at a wrenchfest. Of course, so is welding in 2 feet of frame rails on both sides....... :?....... :roll: ......... BUT MY BIGGER POINT IS, you dropped it off for surgery and I can see saying 'take a look at this while it's under the knife'

Also not sure why people hold back on posting valuable feedback on a vendor. If you get burned - or if you get exemplary service - tell everyone

oh yeah - next time you need work done, post up. You're family! 8-)
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

schwalby wrote:There are a few people on ENH that have had bad experiences with him. I was asked by someone I respect to not post on ENH about my experiences, that is why I haven't there. Why the others haven't I don't know, but if the topic comes up while sitting around the camp fire the stories come out.
Snipped...
The whole purpose of these topics is to help other wheelers, that's what we're supposed to be about. I have no idea who asked this of you, but if somebody asked me not to post valuable information that could help other wheelers, they would have to give me a REALLY good reason.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

I never posted it here because I didn't think anyone would ever go to him. No offense to Wes but all of ue typically use Dom or Lou if it isn't something the club can help us on.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
wesley4x4
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

so here is the reasoning i went their
Dad: wes bring that jeep to the dealership and get the steering fixed
me: well thats going to cost alot of money that i dont have, plus ill just buy the parts and do it myself for cheaper..
dad: no wes i want someone who's done it before to do the steering, its dangerous and ill pay for them to fix it..
me: well its cheaper if i just do it give me some money for parts..
dad: no just drop it off at a jeep place and let them do it i got the bill covered
me: sweet thanks dad
(drive to steves jeep country, deal with his **** then come back home with the bill)
me: so the jeeps driving like its new agin
dad: sweet how much was it
me: $800 bucks
dad: wow... so when are you going to pay me back..
me: wait.. WHAT?!
dad: i never said im going to pay for this
me: WTF! omg (leave room)

so yahhhh fml lol
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
schwalby

wesley4x4 wrote:me: well its cheaper if i just do it give me some money for parts..
dad: no just drop it off at a jeep place and let them do it i got the bill covered
me: sweet thanks dad
Show him this thread, it clearly shows he offered to pay already :)
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I still think $800.00 was a decent price. The parts alone were about $500.00. You would have paid close to double that at a dealer.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

Unread post by Carl McFly »

ZAEDOCK wrote:I still think $800.00 was a decent price. The parts alone were about $500.00
X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
wesley4x4

that may be but i dont think they deserved the extra 300 the way the guy acted
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
wesley4x4

found the transaction slip and it was a little more than $900 sooo idk just not going their agin
StevesJeepCountry

Unread post by StevesJeepCountry »

I am really surprised to hear these comments...

Especially from Schwalby- which has never done business with me. As far as your comments- Not sure where these camp fire stories are being told and your comments on employees is completely untrue and the story about the "big Jeep" never happened. As far as ENH- I do alot of business with them and other boards and clubs as well. But you dont like me or the business for some reason. I know you do business with Don and as we all know, he is a great guy.

I try very hard to make everyone happy. I know I make alot of people happy. I dont remember this event happening but sometimes how I see it and how a customer sees it can be different. I wish I had a chance to make this event better. Maybe a phone call or better communication on both our parts would have gone a long way. I am sorry you left unhappy...that is never the intention.

I read some of these comments on here...everyone has a right to their opinions. Thats cool. But might want to stop by, call me or even email me before striking an opinion. I do my best to build a quality rig at a reasonable cost. Shame people can post opinions and talk about "others" comments that have never met me or done business with me. He said/she said...

But the part that bothers me alot is the fact that someone was unhappy with work that I (my shop) did. I wish I had a chance to correct it...and that offer still stands.

Steve Robinson
StevesJeepCountry
schwalby

StevesJeepCountry wrote: Especially from Schwalby- which has never done business with me. As far as your comments- Not sure where these camp fire stories are being told and your comments on employees is completely untrue and the story about the "big Jeep" never happened. As far as ENH- I do alot of business with them and other boards and clubs as well. But you dont like me or the business for some reason. I know you do business with Don and as we all know, he is a great guy.
Actually I have done business with you or I have attempted to. Once I was given the wrong info by you. You told me I could upgrade my gearing to improve ?pick up?. I gave you the specs on my then stock Jeep, 2003 4 cyl SE, and you suggested I change my gears to 4.10s. So now knowing that a 4cly comes stock with 4.10s I would believe that A) I was dealing with someone who did not know that or B) you were trying to sell me something that was already there. I did call about this but I was rudely told that I was wrong and I did not know what I was talking about. On another occasion I was also directly involved with someone trying to purchase a Jeep from you. After stopping in many times we found one that we wanted to look into more and the person that helped us, not sure who it was so I won?t guess but they did have a Steve?s Jeep Country shirt on, was less then helpful. We were out there for quite awhile and after finally coming out they were short and noticeably unwilling to help. I will admit they may have been busy and that is why they took awhile to come out but the attitude they had was less then friendly and not needed. We still preceded with looking into buying the Jeep however since if we could get a good deal it was worth dealing with some unfriendliness. In an effort to not waste your time we wanted to get approved for the loan before coming back in and test driving the Jeep. It took a couple of calls by the time the application was finally faxed, it was then faxed back immediately. It then took quite awhile before getting any word back as far as an approval or not. You finally told me after I had sent you a few PMs on ENH and also said you would call my friend, which you never did. A letter finally arrived from the loan company about being declined for the loan. Since we knew your sticker price was below KBB value and she had several thousand to put down she called the loan company, it was a company she had been approved through before. The loan company then told her she was not approved because the loan amount was above KBB value or whichever standard they use, my friend was shocked and asked her what the loan amount was for. You had entered it as being $2,000 above your sticker price, never mind the $3,000 she had to put down. The date they received it was also a few days after my friend had sent you her application. Not sure why it did not get sent to the loan company immediately after receiving it.

As far as your techs / salesman none have ever impressed me. The times I have stopped in to look at vehicles while searching with the friend above they do come out but they are generally rude and don?t know what they are talking about. Every time I talk with a car salesman I will ask questions to see what they know. Things like if the Jeep has a D60 or a 23 gal gas tank, most every time your tech / salesman get the questions wrong. I admit most sales man don?t get them right at other dealerships but they do not work at a dealer that specializes in modified Jeeps.

I have heard stories from other Jeep owners and it hasn?t been just one or two so I am truthful when I say I am not alone on these opinions.

I will also admit that I may not be 100% knowledgeable about the orange Jeep. The info I was given was from one of your employees as far as the engine cracking the frame and reducing the HP. Not fixing the frame came from a person that had seen it after you sold it. Again the info may not have been 100% accurate but based on my first hand knowledge of your company I would lean towards the side of it being true. As far as your other builds quality and products used is a personal preference and IMO I would not use the products you do 90% of the time.

Ryan was the one that asked me to not post any negative things about you since you were one of the first vendors he got and he needed your money. He was also the one that fought against getting other Jeep vendors on the site.

Maybe I miss-spoke when I said you only support ENH, you just support very few that I have seen. I know you are on NCRS but 95% of them are on ENH as well, not really a new market. To me that says you are looking for the new Jeep owner market and new owners are the least knowledgeable.

You are 100% that I like Dom and I will recommend him 100% to anyone I meet. I have never heard a single bad thing about him and he supports wheeling to the 100th degree. I did years of research when I planned the build of my Jeep and I wasn?t about to go to someone that wasn?t highly recommended.

So yes I do not like how you do business and I am entitled to that opinion. I have tried doing business with you a couple of times and every time I get bad knowledge and / or bad services. I do not express negative feedback about companies lightly, I always base my feedback on first hand dealings.
Josh Schwalb
StevesJeepCountry

Unread post by StevesJeepCountry »

Wow Josh- guess I walked into that- There is always two sides to a story and yours is interesting. One thing we can agree on- Dom is a super nice guy and does great work. I am always impressed with his builds. I have met him once and he couldnt have been nicer. I am also a fan of Lou- Also a super nice guy and very helpful.

Anyways- I hope people make their own opinions. Come on over and meet me...give me a call...check out what we build and talk to the people that actually have had a rig built by my shop. I am sure you will get totally different picture of what my shop does. I work 6 days a week, so if there is a complaint or concern...I am always willing to listen. I must be doing something right, I hear alot of positive things...but I always believe there is room for improvement and if I make a mistake- I am always willing to fix it.

I am very concerned to read about the original poster's(westly4x4) complaints...that is why I commented here. I always think talking it out in person is best but knowing someone felt uncomfortable about a bill and/or work makes me look into what happened. I am sorry your experience wasnt what you expected.

Be safe
Steve Robinson
StevesJeepCountry
Cgutta

Unread post by Cgutta »

This place is not that great. So, they build my jeep obviously illegally. I have 31x10.5 on 15x8s on my cherokee. As well as clear bumper lenses and side lenses. They put it all on. Then I go to get an inspection from them and they fail me because my tires stick out a half inch past the flairs, and the lenses need amber bulbs. So they install all this obviously illegally then fail me for an inspection. Real smart. They didn't tell me once as they installed any parts that I would fail inspection..and charge me for it. I me have spent way to much money there to get that treatment. I will be taking my business to dom's in Hampstead NH. I DO NOT RECCOMEND STEVES JEEP COUNTRY.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by ASauer17 »

NOT all inspection places understand laws for 4x4s. I'm sure someone that lives up there can recommend a good place.

I've failed at certain places that still tried to measure from the ground to bottom of the door!!
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary