Steves Jeep Country

Yipjeep
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Steves Jeep Country

Unread post by Yipjeep »

Not sure if Dominic's is going to be of any help. If I remember he closed up shop in March 2013. I remember seeing posts by him on other forums announcing he was selling all of his inventory and moving to Maine.

I can't blame a business for selling aftermarket products and willing to install them at the customer's request. When installing aftermarket products you got to be aware of your state's inspection laws. When I had a shop mount the Duratracs on to my Rugged Ridge 4.5" BS wheels they didn't say anything about the tire coverage of fenders. It wasn't their responsibility, they installed at my request. When it came time for inspection I knew the Jeep would fail most places. I asked around to find a shop that was off-road friendly.

Anyway, good luck with inspection.
Cgutta
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by Cgutta »

Well, I feel like a heads up a warning or anything would have been nice . I would have made arrangements to get stock wheels on it. I don't believe it's right to do work against the law and fail someone for it. That being said, do you think it's worth it for him to lose thousands of dollars in work over a fifty dollar sticker, as far as I'm concerned all after market parts would go on after the sticker anyway. I pass 3 to four cops daily and not once pulled over. If you ask me dumb business move on his part', thousands lost over a Cosmetic mod that doesn't affect the safety of the jeep at all. The right thing would have been for them to say something before I went. I have spent about 3000 at this place in the last 6 months, if I was him I would have made sure I had a sticker.And your right about the Dom's in Hampstead. I'm going to check out black widow customs in Manchester NH. They seem very reputable.
Yipjeep

Unread post by Yipjeep »

Brian at BWC is a great guy and is quite passionate about satisfying his customers. I didn't get inspected there, but when he saw Jeep he seemed surprised another shop was going to fail it for the tire coverage.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ASauer17 »

Again, it is the inspection place that doesn't read THIS SECTION ! Below talks about lifts, but you get the picture.

I know that you talked about flares and lights, but, this is a great example that not every place is a good for an inspection when you go custom.

540 CMR: REGISTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES

540 CMR 6.00: ALTERATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE HEIGHT
Section
6.01: Purpose
6.02: Scope and Applicability
6.03: Definitions
6.04: General Requirements
6.05: Maximum Combined Mechanical and Tire Lift
6.06: Violations
6.01: Purpose
(1) The purpose of 540 CMR 6.00 is to provide rules and regulations for altering the height of four
wheel drive motor vehicles by elevating or lowering the chassis or body more than two inches above
or below the original manufacturer's height.
6.02: Scope and Applicability
(1) 540 CMR 6.00 is adopted by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles under the authority of M.G.L.
c. 90, § 31 and pursuant to the provisions of M.G.L. c. 90, § 7P to regulate alterations to the height
of four wheel drive vehicles with an original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of not over
10,000 operated on any way as defined in M.G.L. c. 90, § 1.
6.03: Definitions
Four Wheel Drive Motor Vehicles: Any vehicle that is capable of providing torque to all four wheels.
Mechanical Lift: Modification of the chassis, suspension or body by any means exclusive of tires, rims,
and load, affecting the height of four wheel drive motor vehicles.
Original Equipment: Any items of motor vehicle equipment, including tires, which were installed in or
on a motor vehicle, or available by option for the particular vehicle from the original manufacturer at
the time of its delivery to the first purchaser.
Original Manufacturer: Any person engaged in the manufacture or assembly of motor vehicles for
delivery to the first purchaser.
Original Manufacturer's Height: The highest distance inclusive of the largest tires and highest suspension
available as standard or optional equipment for the particular vehicle from the original manufacturer.
The distance shall be measured between the lowest edge of the center line of the operator's door, or
to the lowest point where the door would meet the body on vehicles without doors, or to the lowest
point on the floor panel directly below the operator's position on vehicles designed without doors, and
the level surface on which the unladen vehicle rests, as determined by the Registrar.
Reconstructed Motor Vehicle: Any four wheel drive motor vehicle constructed or assembled
principally with used parts or components.
Wheel Base: The shortest distance between the center of the front and rear axles.
Wheel Track: The shortest distance between the centers of the tire treads on the same axle. On
vehicles having different axle widths, the measurement shall be made on the widest one. 540 CMR: REGISTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES

6.04: General Requirements
(1) No motor vehicle shall be altered or modified in any way that may cause the vehicle body or
chassis to come in contact with the roadway, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause
the tires to come in contact with the body, chassis, or steering components under normal operation.
The horizontal plane, front to rear, shall not differ more than two inches.
(2) Alterations or modifications to the original braking, steering, or suspension system, which result
in the impairment of the safe operation of the motor vehicle, are prohibited. All replacement parts and
equipment used shall be designed and capable to perform the function or purpose for which it is
intended and shall be equal or greater in strength and durability than the original parts provided by the
original manufacturer.
(3) The wheel track may be increased by the use of tires and rims for a maximum total increase of four
inches beyond the original manufacturer's specification. The use of spacers to increase wheel track is
prohibited. Fractions shall be excluded in all measurements and final calculations.
6.05: Maximum Combined Mechanical and Tire Lift
(1) The maximum mechanical lift for four wheel drive motor vehicles shall be calculated by multiplying
the wheel base times the wheel track, and dividing the product by a safety factor of 2200: i.e., 92" w/b
x 58" w/t = 5336/2200 = 2" (maximum mechanical lift). The outside diameter of the largest tire size
available from the original manufacturer as standard or optional equipment for the particular motor
vehicle may also be increased up to an amount equal to maximum mechanical lift calculated.
(2) The maximum combined mechanical and tire lift shall be no greater than the sum of the maximum
mechanical lift and increased tire size calculated for the particular vehicle.
(3) Reconstructed motor vehicles shall be limited to the maximum combined lift allowed for the
particular chassis used, in accordance with the applicable provisions of 540 CMR 6.05(1) and (2), i.e.
a vehicle having a 65" track, 105" wheel base, and an original manufacturer's door height of 21" is
allowed a maximum combined lift of four inches above the original manufacturer's door height.
Accordingly, the lower edge of the door, door edge line or floor panel, as stipulated in the general
requirements of 540 CMR 6.00, of any unladen body mounted on such chassis may not exceed 25"
above the level surface upon which the vehicle rests.
(4) In doubtful cases, or in any case where the original manufacturer's specified height is not known
or available, or where a motor vehicle is assembled without using a particular body and/or chassis (i.e.
homemade), the Registrar shall determine the allowable maximum height and may issue a permit
authorizing the operation thereof.
(5) The Registrar shall periodically provide the specifications of approved maximum altered heights.
6.06: Violations
(1) Due to slight variances in production tolerances, violations must be in excess of one inch beyond
the Registrar's specifications of approved maximum altered heights.
(2) The Registrar, in accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 90, § 22, shall suspend the
registration of any motor vehicle equipped, altered or modified in violation of 540 CMR 6.00, and shall
refuse to register any motor vehicle that the Registrar has reason to believe is equipped, altered or
modified in violation of 540 CMR 6.00.
REGULATORY AUTHORITY
540 CMR 6.00: M.G.L. c. 90, §§ 1, 7P and 31.
Last edited by ASauer17 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

As far as fender flares.. 1/2" is nothing. (in MA)
Last edited by ASauer17 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Cgutta
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by Cgutta »

I actually have more information on Steve's jeep country that I left out. Other issues that occurred while having them build my jeep was after having the lift installed my ABS light went on after being clear since I owned the Jeep, I asked what I needed to do to get it fixed what's the problem, they said they had no clue and to go to a Chrysler dealer they didn't have the capabilities to figure it out. I was beside myself. That was after he (Steve) blatantly yelled "you failed" as soon as I walked through the entrance door to pick up my jeep referring to my failed inspection. Like he thought it was a joke. I also asked for a coolant flush. He said no. he has no place to store the waste chemicals. So no coolant Flush for me. Last but not least I had a rugged ridge intake installed by them when I got home to check it out ,where the 90 bend connects to the filter tube by the clamp was disconnected like it wasn't tight enough. They offered no solutions to the problem just saying it was a cheap intake. I agree it's a crappy intake but I also believe if they offered to find a better clamp it would have been fine. I felt like their over all attitude sucked and they didn't care about my jeep in particular they were just running through the motions. I love jeeps . was looking for more enthusiastic people to help. I wanted them to treat it like it was their jeep and I don't feel that was the case. On the other hand they did complete a bunch of other work that seems to be okay. Headers, exhaust, injectors, cat, diff cover, 3 inch lift, belt pulley, headlights, spark plugs, intake after I purchased a new one and wheels and tires that failed inspection all so far so good. So I guess you get the good with the bad. The info is out there make your choice.

Back to the inspection note. I frame houses for a living. these houses get inspected such as jeeps get inspected. So, in framing we don't do work that won't pass inspection. plain and simple. The customers buying the house rely on the professional framers to do work that passes inspection. In relation to jeeps it is basically the same. at the very least he could have warned me. Possibly make 700 bucks by suggesting bushwhacker flat flairs or something . Maybey suggest a different rim size with stock flairs . Or just put a sticker on it because of the amount of business I've given him. All over some clear lights and my tires barely stick out. People would laugh at how little the offset is seriously. Especially for a jeep guy to fail that is laughable. I just feel bad but not really because I planned on doing tons more work there. Drive shafts, possible regearing, possible more lift, slip yolk,I am basically rebuilding this whole jeep and Steve had 0 interest in it at all. 0 xxxx given .IMO
Last edited by Kurt on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate language for this forum.
Elias 4WD Center
Jeep Year: 1977
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by Elias 4WD Center »

**Post edited**

Steve's Jeep Country makes some good points below in his rebuttal.
Last edited by Elias 4WD Center on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elias 4WD Center
178 Wallace Hill Rd
Townsend, MA 01469
978-597-8432
Mon - Thurs from 8 am to 6 pm
:like: us on Facebook to join the fun!
StevesJeepCountry
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by StevesJeepCountry »

A feel I should respond to this complaint. Customers satisfaction is very important to me. It has been for the over 25 years I have been in business. Customer service is nothing new to me and in 99.99% of the time a simple phone call, email or in person conversation takes care of most , if not all, complaints. And most complaints are simple misunderstandings...

With that said I would like to defend myself. In a format like this, it is very one sided and I feel like I was ambushed with the intent to be hurtful and mean....well, it worked. It was hurtful and mean.

My side-

After many emails back and forth this customer decided to purchase his own parts. I did not sell him any of the parts. I was to only install them. Which I did. He was in a few times and always seemed very happy. Full of compliments and would bring his vehicle in again and again. So, I must have done good work or he wouldn't have kept coming back. "No one in their right mind sets up their customer for failure." - isn't an accurate statement in this instance. I not only didn't sell the parts and I was never asked about the parts. I was very clearly installing his parts that he bought online.

As far as the NH State Inspection- After time went by we did a NH State Inspection on his Jeep. The tires stick out. Why is that my fault. They were supplied by him. If I remember right, I gave him a set of used tires at the time to put on, so he could get his inspection. Is that someone that would yell at someone about not passing? Which never happened. Anyone that knows me or has been around me knows I would never do that. That was only said to be mean to me and attack me personally because he has met me and knows that would hurt me. O well, moving on...
NH State inspection is very clear and I take it very seriously. For people to jump on the band wagon and say- 1/2" isn't a big deal or another shop doesn't care, is fine but that doesn't make it right. Like it or not, the law is clear. I didn't make the laws but I sure as hell take them seriously. As an owner of a repair shop/ off road shop and dealership, I get audited every year by the Department of Safety and one of the topics they brought up this year was, under no circumstances are tires to stick out. So, it has been a problem , in their eyes, lately and they are cracking down on it.

Which brings us to an important topic- just because someone spends money at my shop , and some people spend a lot. We all know how expensive our Jeeps can get, doesn't mean I should over look safety. It is not only breaking the law but unsafe. Are tires sticking out unsafe? I personally don't think so but the State of New Hampshire does. Should I let lose ball joints go because someone is loyal customer? Should I let bad brakes go? I will not put a NH State Inspection on a vehicle that doesn't pass...simple.

Now for the personal attacks- I never yelled- why would I? I did say I wouldn't do an antifreeze flush- sorry but I just don't have proper ways to handle lots of antifreeze waste, so I don't do it. This customer never bought anything from me, I was only an installer. Why would I talk about selling parts to him? I would have, I would have been more than happy to go over options and talk about parts that are needed and upgrades. That is what I do for a living. If you goto my Facebook page- Steves Jeep Country , you can see for yourself the hundreds of customers that are happy. I am very approachable and always encourage people to meet, sit down and talk about upgrades that not only fit into their budget but what is best for their driving style.

With all that said, I will leave it at that. There are always two sides to every story. A simple phone call, email or in person would be a more appropriate way to hand a complaint to a business. Especially to a small business where the owners, like myself, are almost always around.

If you have doubts about how I treat customers, please ask around, people travel from all over New England to have be work on their Jeeps. I have a very active Facebook page, full of pictures and comments of happy customers, and can easily be contacted there, email , phone call or in person.

Steve Robinson
Owner
Steves Jeep Country
Route4 Motors Inc
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

After reading this, Steve.. I will agree that if someone buys their own parts, the installer/shop is not held responsible if it doesn't pass inspection.

Thanks for putting that message on our forum :)

And, I'm from MA so I am not familiar with NH laws- such as the 1/2" tire overhang..

FYI- Cgutta created a forum account and commented on this thread in 1 day.. He/She hasn't been on in almost 2 months. I wouldn't worry too much as we (the club) don't know who this is...
98/99 TJ
2023 President
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Grey Warden
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Grey Warden »

Late to the game but I also visited this establishment a few weeks back. I had intended to walk in there and have a custom mechanical plan set out for my new '15 JK. Let me preface this with: It's my first Jeep. I obviously want to do a million things to it because I've been visually exposed to this lifestyle for years, not that I have any mechanical or engineering experience nor am I versed in what is and isn't appropriate but purchasing a Jeep (from what I can tell) means you have an idea of some modifications within the realm of possibility.

This man, Steve himself perhaps? (I'm not sure, I threw the estimate away shortly after the visit.) Well, he told me that to get my Jeep up to snuff, I'd be looking at around $8k. I think he may have buffed what areas he could with perhaps a little more pricey parts (it was an estimate after all...) but overall he seemed kind enough.
StevesJeepCountry
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by StevesJeepCountry »

Not sure how to respond to Jeepishbynature- Would seem he came into my shop and asked about lifting and adding accessories to his new Jeep. I do my best to quote, show, and describe products that, not only fit someone's driving style, but also their budget. There are lots of options and products that I deal with that can vary in price. I am a dealer for: Rough Country, BDS, Rock Krawler, ARB (Old Man Emu), JKS, and more- so there are lots of options to build your Jeep the way you want, driving style and budget.

If you are thinking of an off road shop please see my website and check out my Facebook page , see what I do and read what people have to say- https://www.facebook.com/Steves-Jeep-Co ... 7/reviews/

Read reviews from people that have done business with me.

REVIEWS- https://www.facebook.com/Steves-Jeep-Co ... 7/reviews/

FACEBOOK- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Steves-J ... ts&fref=ts

WEBSITE- http://www.stevesjeepcountry.com/

Thanks
Steve
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Wow ! After hearing all this its amazing how we all get caught up in the bashing. On the other hand , being taken usually ruffles feathers . Steve , Its a hard thing to deal with the public as you know. Forgetting everything that went on here I would sit down with your employees and discuss a game plan to get past this bump. Stupid stuff like installing owner bought parts , A lot of shops just dont do it. To the person who did that , You bought them ! As for the state inspection , I believe you have to be sure the vehicle is 100% safe. On the other hand , you admitted a tire sticking out a .5" wont make it unsafe but the state does. Make a decision , Your in the business of modifying Jeeps. There are Jeep friendly inspection stations. Aside from the safety point. I live in Ct. without an inspection at all so dont get me wrong. I would talk to you customers and explain , If you do this , then I wouldnt be able to pass you in an inspection. They would know up front. Maybe a recommendation of this part Vs. that part might make a difference. As for quoting , we all know most of us cant afford everything at once , For a new Jeep owner its over whelming to hear the total. Maybe set a game plan for this newbee . Lets start here and do this next. Not trying to tell you how to run your business , just if this happens to many times , you wont have one left to worry about. Thanks for listening , Frank