My Rustproofing Story: Very Happy (so far)

MattJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

My Rustproofing Story: Very Happy (so far)

Unread post by MattJ »

I know this is a topic with a lot of strong opinions, so I waited many months to get up the courage to post. After TONS of research, I decided to rust proof the entire underside of my brand new Rubicon last October (before the snow and road salt ruined its destiny). I spent a full week on a creeper seat while wearing a headband flashlight, paint goggles, a respirator and a hoodie that I knew would get thrown away when done. I sprayed a ton of Eastwood Internal Frame Coat inside all of the frame components and inside my new tube steps using a 30-inch wand. Then I put ten cans of Eastwood Anti-Rust just about everywhere else (except exhaust and brakes, of course). This product is primarily wax and carbon black, as far as I can tell. Critics say it doesn't last forever, fans say it lasts plenty long and is soft enough to work its way into seams and cracks. Then I sprayed Fluid Film inside the doors and front body panels with the wand, and put another coat of Fluid Film on the suspension, all exposed bolts and other raw metal components (like the mount for my hi-lift jack).

Several months later, I am very happy with the result. Mud and grit seem to bead right off the wax layer, even in hotter weather. I also spray Fluid Film on small metal components and bolts every few weeks, just as a habit.

Like I said, I know everyone has strong opinions about rust proofing, so I'm fully prepared for the risk that some experts think I have wasted time, wasted money or ruined my Jeep. But I have learned a LOT from others on the BSJ forum, so I wanted to share my experiences with these rust proofing products and answer any questions that other curious members might have!

Photos are here:

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: My Rustproofing Story: Very Happy (so far)

Unread post by Frank »

Ive always been a fan of keeping things lubed and clean . I usually wash her while shes still on the trailer so I can get to most of it. Most car washes have under carriage was for extra buks. If after every storm and its above freezing , Id say run her through . Every thing helps in one way or another. Ive also read that frame thickness has has returned to normal after the TJ run. Thats why the latter TJs dont seam to have the rot issue as bad. Doing this from the start will help in the long run . FjR 68
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

If you actually wheel it and scratch the underside up the fluid film and wax make it a ***** to touch paint up. My 85 cj and 05 tj frames aren't all rusted. Key is like Frank said keep them clean if you scratch them touch them up. But if your just mall crawling and the occational green trail that works good.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by MattJ »

Thanks - I forgot to mention that a few months after I finished the rust proofing project I had skid plates installed. So the inside of the frame is sprayed with frame coat, the underside is sprayed with black wax, and now most of it is covered by a skid plate. So hopefully that all helps my Jeep last a few extra years . . . until the zombies attack or a meteor strike takes us out on a BSJ run.

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle