Unread post by Kurtkirchner2 »

Can anyone tell me what CB works well.what brand works well and holds up
RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: CB radio

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

There are many CB's that work well. Some of the more popular brands out there are Cobra, Uniden and Midland.

Personally, I chose the Cobra 75 due to it's compact size and quality for how we use them. Try going to this web site and read up on CB's in general. It has a lot of good information. It's not the only one though, so do some googling.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs ... t-cb-radio

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/learning-center

I'm sure others will chime in to say what they bought and why.
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

One of my co-workers is a HAM radio guy and got me a great deal on an old Cobra, he swears by the older units, thou is not normally a CB guy. He did warn me that the fire stick antennas have a bad rap and apparently deserved, thou may not be too bad for our purposes.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

If your just going to use it on the trail , buy a cheap one ! You only have to talk feet apart. Make sure to have the SWR metered when installed. Thats critical for clarity and longevity of the radio. FjR68
KevinP
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by KevinP »

Im a CBer and a licensed Ham radio operator. Cobra Galaxy, Uniden are good names but there are others. How much do you wanna spend and do you want it just for trails or to talk in general?
Lisah311
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by Lisah311 »

I just bought a Uniden Bearcat 980. Wiring it today. It was $100 on Anazon and seems to be a pretty popular one. My boyfriend suggested it, since he hasn't had any problems with his. I'm heading to Home Depot now to get some Velcro so I can stick it on my front dash. I like the idea of being able to remove it when I have my doors off or I'm in the city with my soft top.

The mic feels flimsy, but that's easy to fix, plus there's an option for a wireless one.

I think I spent more time deciding on the antenna. I went with a 4ft Firestik II.
2005 Rubicon
Scooby473
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Scooby473 »

The wireless mic for that radio actually works good, I have one and radio checks come back nice and clear, good for 100 feet to.
Lisah311
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by Lisah311 »

Scooby473 wrote:The wireless mic for that radio actually works good, I have one and radio checks come back nice and clear, good for 100 feet to.
Awesome. Good to know. Less cords the better.
2005 Rubicon
DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by DaThug »

I'm looking to pick one up as well and was looking at the Cobra 29 LX, it had great reviews but more important I can have a red display to match the jeep.

On the topic of CB antennas, how to most folks here have theirs mounted? I was looking at the spare tire mount, but then it has to be run all the way up to the front of the jeep. Curious what others have done with the antennas.
ImNotCassie
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

You will spend more time choosing a mounting location than you will running the cable from back to front.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

I would not trust velcro holding a cb on, if you roll or get into rough stuff it can come loose and poke you in eye! Or worse
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by ASauer17 »

DaThug wrote:I'm looking to pick one up as well and was looking at the Cobra 29 LX, it had great reviews but more important I can have a red display to match the jeep.

On the topic of CB antennas, how to most folks here have theirs mounted? I was looking at the spare tire mount, but then it has to be run all the way up to the front of the jeep. Curious what others have done with the antennas.

My CB is mounting in the center console so you don't see it AT all. I don't like things showing in case someone tries to find a reason to strip my Jeep!!

CB antenna is mounted to my rear bumper- legit drilled thru my bumper. I don't have a spare tire mount. The cable runs under the carpet to the back of the jeep
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Clarke6677
Jeep Year: 2009

Unread post by Clarke6677 »

I have the mount on the spare tire rack I love where it mounts its out of the way and I don't have to worry about it getting caught on anything and i have had no issues with range so far although I've only used it between a few car lengths running the cable wasn't really a struggle I ran it under the carpet to the drivers side of the center console couldn't have taken more than 15 minutes total.
On the other hand I had to run a second cable as a ground to the frame which took a bit longer to find a good ground inside the tailgate.
This is a great source and is what I used to set up mine https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blog ... -for-jeeps
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

Another option Kurt is a hand held, that way you could even take it with you if you got out to help someone. I have the Cobra Hand Held 38 WX ST. $113.99 at 4 wheel parts. Comes with 2 antennas, the second ant. has a magnetic base, a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug & a belt clip. Has weather stations and can scan all channels or monitor 2 channels and other bells & whistles. It works fine, I have no complaints. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Choosing an antenna location is more a signal enhancing and distance reason Vs. looks. Read up on how a CB antenna works . At the rear of the Jeep it sends more signal towards the front of the vehicle , mounting it towards one side or the other sends it off the opposite front corner. Hence you see most mounted right rear . It uses the car as a ground plane. All said , that is more important for road driving and distance. Mounted closer to the front reverses all that but may induce engine and electrical noise into the radio so buy a quality coax cable. Length of the cable is also important for tuning the radio. For just talking on the trail , I doubt youll have an issue reaching the Jeep in front of you . FjR68