Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: Safe-T-Cap

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

midniteryder wrote:wow good luck Jeff.!

thanks Rob!
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Jeff : ( Even Quadratec sells new frames. Id look at the Co. that gets them from the south. There is no rust down there. There are a couple father & sons that go to Texas and bring them back. They posted on F.B. the site Carl started and the other one. We could do the work needed and rust proofing before you change over the drive train. My opinion is to replace the frame as its just going to be a band aid and you know it will continue. Hunt down a new frame and hurry up ! You only have 7 months till all this white poop is gone ! FjR68
eqcliu
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by eqcliu »

Bump. I have some rotting going on in my rear trailing arm area, both sides. How much did you guys pay to have someone cut out the old stuff and weld in auto t caps? I'm looking for a shop in the greater Boston area.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

eqcliu wrote:Bump. I have some rotting going on in my rear trailing arm area, both sides. How much did you guys pay to have someone cut out the old stuff and weld in auto t caps? I'm looking for a shop in the greater Boston area.
Auto Rust Technicians will give you a written estimate in about 15 minutes. No need to make an appt, just show up and ask them to look at your rig. I had a LOT of work done - rear trailing arms and the whole frame section between and up to the front control arms, including new mounts for control arms. On both sides. Also had the tub welded in multiple places, the body mounts were all rotted to chit. And a floor pan on one side and a couple floor patches. Yeah, it was a mess. Lot more work than what you need, but the quote is fast and free

There's another shop I heard good things about, South Shore Customs in Sagamore Beach. I didn't have any work done there but they get good reviews. Guessing both shops are about an hour from Boston, I know ART is. And if you want to head west, Central Mass Off Road has a cult following. I've never had any work done by Scott, just offering some options
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
eqcliu
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by eqcliu »

That's great to hear. A friend of a friend of mine does a lot of welding and fab work. I'll have him take a look and spend an afternoon patching her up. Then I'll make up my mind whether I want to throw money into her.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

That's great you have someone to do the welding and depending how bad the rot is, you might want to look into Safe T Caps. They're $200 per side and come with new control arm brackets. Cut the old crappy stuff out, weld on shiny new stuff

https://www.autorust.com/product/rear-t ... art-124-l/
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"