Qudratec Soft Top

COH143
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1993
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Qudratec Soft Top

Unread post by COH143 »

So, I need a new top and hardware since mine was ripped, bent, etc after a few years of wheeling.

Looked at the frame-less / bow-less Softopper but bought the Quadratec brand soft top and the Rampage frame hardware. The Rampage frame hardware arrived broken and had to be replaced which Quadratec took care of without question. Planned to put this thing on in August while it was still warm but didn't get to it until late September so cloudy, cool, and rain. The Rampage frame went on without fuss and mostly fit / lined up well. The Quadratec soft top looked well made but doesn't fit worth a damn. I have 4 zippers that won't reach. Cloudy and cool remember. They might have fit on a hot sunny August day. Also ripped the fabric trying to make it fit. Upper door skins also are too cold and stiff to stretch over the original upper door frames.

Softopper would have cost $524.95 all in. My misadventure with Quadratec cost me $609.97.

Will run my F*&@#% up top this winter and buy a Softopper later when I get over it or when it gets too cold with all my many unplanned openings to the weather. Dang...
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Re: Qudratec Soft Top

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I had a similar experience with a Smittybuilt full top and hardware a few years ago, but 4WD Hardware took it back as a defective (it leaked like a sieve through these 2 seams that ran along the roof). My son found a used TJ Sailcloth top with hardware for $300, so it worked out in the end.
I hate to deal with Bestop because of an incident that I had with them a couple of years ago, but sometimes they're the only game in town. I just held my nose and bought a set of soft doors, for example, and when my JK soft top does give out I'll replace it with a Bestop. I will not touch anything else they make, and if there was an alternative I wouldn't buy tops from them either. It's just one of those things we have to live with.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ASauer17 »

Had the SAME issue with my Besttop replacement top in Black I got in over the winter. Every time it rains its rains inside the truck & the rear window zipper doesn't align properly..

mind you, this black one replaced the tan besttop replacement one I destroyed in my accident.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

asauer17 wrote:the rear window zipper doesn't align properly..
How bad? Mine is off by about an inch and leaves a huge gap across the top. They won't do anything about it so I am left with it.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

I replaced mine this year and have had zero issues with it so far, fit was near perfect (just slightly looser since it hadn't shrunk for 6 years). SunRider top without hardware to replace the worn factory SunRider.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by ASauer17 »

schwalby wrote:
asauer17 wrote:the rear window zipper doesn't align properly..
How bad? Mine is off by about an inch and leaves a huge gap across the top. They won't do anything about it so I am left with it.
mine is a little less then 1"!! hence why I left my tan rear window on.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Don't know if it's true, but I heard that Bestop packed up their manufacturing facilities and moved them from Colorado to Mexico. Maybe that has something to do with fitment problems? I know the new soft doors that i bought for the JK do not come close to fitting as well as the ones I bought 8 years ago for the YJ.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
DOUG
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

I ran into issues when I bought a Bestop soft top for my Scrambler last year. 1st one came and I installed it but the horizontal zippers on the side windows would not zip all the way. Bestop sent me another top (complete). Boxed up the first one preparing to ship it back. Installed the 2nd top. Horizontal zipper for the back window (on top) didn't match up with the corresponding zipper on the rear window....the zippers were going in opposite directions.
Bestop sent me another top. (once again a complete top) I boxed up the 2nd top preparing to ship it back.
3rd time is a charm they say, as the latest top went on and all the zippers work perfect.

I called Bestop to let them know all was well, and to ask about shipping the 2 defective tops back. They told me not to ship them back, it would cost them too much much in shipping. So I ended up with 3 brand new Scrambler soft tops, I kept the one that was fine, and sold the other two fully disclosing the defects. Ended up with a free top and made a couple of bucks to boot.
2020 Gladiator Sport S
COH143
Jeep Year: 1993

Unread post by COH143 »

Knew it wasn't just me. Anyone have any feedback on the SoftTopper?

Zipper gaps are an inch at least and no chance of stretching to fit either. I will be running gaps on both sides of the rear window and both rear ends of the side windows. Heater works though and we'll see if it leaks anywhere else. Doesn't have to be perfect, it is a Jeep after all, but it should fit as well as the factory top. Damn it.
Captian Carnage
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

I got a few top and compete soft top frame email me@ flyinbrian321@yahoo or IM me Ok
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I have had two Tiger tops. The first one fit great but didnt last but two weeks. (the garage burned down) The second one is still in the box 4 yrs. later. Im afraid to put it on . FjR68
JayH
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by JayH »

I've been looking at the Besttop Trektop NX, and kind of dragging my feet a little. This thread is making me a little more hesitant about the purchase, but at the same time, I really want to get the hard top off for this good weather that's hitting.
Elias 4WD Center
Jeep Year: 1977
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by Elias 4WD Center »

We have been having excellent success with the tops we sell. These are Rampage tops, marketed as Rough Trail by Crown. (Although being relabeled again as RT Off-Road).

Only some of Bestop's product is made in Mexico. That is where they moved operations. Fullfilment (warehouse) is in Colorado with customer support. Product is made in China.

So buyer's are in a position of buying the best of the Chinese made products. The fabrics are manufactured in Acton, MA.
I had GREAT luck with Rampage before, and working here, I am continuing to have the best luck with this line.

FAT, HD plastic zippers.
Most complete tops or replacement tops include extras.
Quick disconnect hard ware included.
Tinted windows are a free option.
The whole top is a newer design than the newest TJ, so you get a lot of refinements you can't get in other tops.

If you need a top, call me (Mike) first. 978-597-8432 If it is available, I'll price it right.
If it has to be Bestop, I can do that, too.

The Trektop NX DOES seem to enjoy a good reputation, compared to some other products.
Thanks,
Mike
Elias 4WD Center
178 Wallace Hill Rd
Townsend, MA 01469
978-597-8432
Mon - Thurs from 8 am to 6 pm
:like: us on Facebook to join the fun!