Roxie
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Cobra 75 WX ST CB?

Unread post by Roxie »

OK - anyone have thoughts on this one?

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cobra ... radio.html

I'm thinking to have a small hole cut next to my stereo where the plug can go? I live in the city, so this seems like a less-steal-able way to have a CB in the Jeep?

Other questions:
- Anyone in the club good at install/drilling holes that won't make my jeep cry/tuning? I can offer up a little $$ and come to you? I need to buy & get this done before june 18th (road trip baby!)
- Is there a place I can physically go buy this for a similar price? I live in Boston, but can drive somewhere if it's available/reasonable. Or, should I just order it online?
- What am I forgetting when it comes to getting one of these? It's been a while since I had one ;)
:happy-bouncyyellow: Roxie
Ding - 04 TJ Rubi
Berto - 74 CJ5 Project
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Cobra 75 WX ST CB?

Unread post by johnsxj »

You'll need an antenna and antenna cable!
You might want to consider an external speaker so you can hear better.

Not sure who locally sells the same/similar system.

I can do install and tune the antenna.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Roxie

Unread post by Roxie »

Yes - I was thinking the passenger side tail light mount for the antenna? I was also figuring to mount the hand part closer to driver side so I can hear it? Unless we set it up easy to plug in the extra speaker.

How long would something like this take to do?
Ding - 04 TJ Rubi
Berto - 74 CJ5 Project
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

This is what I'm using and who I got it from, but that was also 5 years ago. I got the kit with the external speaker, 4' Wilson flexible, cable, SWR meter and the 3 way mount. I gave away the mount and used the Quadratec stainless steel mount for behind the driver's taillight.

The external speaker is tie wrapped to the rollbar between the speaker pods closer to the driver's side. I built a Radio Shack speaker extension cable and ran the wire inside the rollbar padding down to the passenger side floor then forward and up into the area behind the glovebox where the base unit is mounted.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Install would take an hour or two depending on where things get mounted.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Elwood Blues
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by Elwood Blues »

Where are you located Roxie
If you are in the area just stop by and I will install it for ya
smileyfish
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Unread post by smileyfish »

Had 1 in the tj and in the Willy, love them!! Open top you need an external speaker tho.
Roxie

Unread post by Roxie »

I'm in downtown Boston. That's why I'm hesitant on the external speaker, since anything that is in the jeep gets stolen. Seriously - I've had it for 2 months, and already three times. They'll take anything not behind the dash. I'm not sure that bolting it down will even stop them ;)
Ding - 04 TJ Rubi
Berto - 74 CJ5 Project
Baseshakers

Unread post by Baseshakers »

I was able to stick a small external speaker up in a corner by the roll bar. Being black, its actually not that easy to see so you might be ok!
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Dont they still make that plate that mounts your radio on half of it, and the other half has all the vehicle connections? Just slide the radio in and out. I think Radio Shack still sells them. Id also look at truck stops. FjR68
Roxie

Unread post by Roxie »

My radio is stock, and I just have a plug in the glove box for my phone/ipod. I'm thinking this whole thing mounts behind the dash with a little plug sticking out...I only take my handset when I need the CB?
Ding - 04 TJ Rubi
Berto - 74 CJ5 Project
Roxie

Unread post by Roxie »

OK, I ordered it. Now, I just need some rear tow hooks and I'll be all set to play by the rules.
Ding - 04 TJ Rubi
Berto - 74 CJ5 Project
mark2215

Unread post by mark2215 »

You'll definitely need an external speaker if you're traveling at any speeds with the top down and expect to hear anything. The radio is great because it can be completely disconnected/stored and also you can get separate base units for much cheaper so you can use the same radio in multiple vehicles like if you had a tow rig and a jeep.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

mark2215 wrote:You'll definitely need an external speaker if you're traveling at any speeds with the top down and expect to hear anything. The radio is great because it can be completely disconnected/stored and also you can get separate base units for much cheaper so you can use the same radio in multiple vehicles like if you had a tow rig and a jeep.
A little late maybe, but with a handheld you can get a headset with a mic built into it. Also a DC adapter that plugs into the cigar lighter (do they still call them that?) Then just bring the whole thing in at night, and you can still hear and talk while driving. Mine even had a sound activate mic - no buttons to push, just start talking.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Roxie

Unread post by Roxie »

DDewar53 wrote:
mark2215 wrote:You'll definitely need an external speaker if you're traveling at any speeds with the top down and expect to hear anything. The radio is great because it can be completely disconnected/stored and also you can get separate base units for much cheaper so you can use the same radio in multiple vehicles like if you had a tow rig and a jeep.
A little late maybe, but with a handheld you can get a headset with a mic built into it. Also a DC adapter that plugs into the cigar lighter (do they still call them that?) Then just bring the whole thing in at night, and you can still hear and talk while driving. Mine even had a sound activate mic - no buttons to push, just start talking.
Haha. I don't know if anyone needs to hear everything that goes on in my cab. In fact, on the trail, I tend to make a lot of noise. I was just told I'm a screamer. :lol:
Ding - 04 TJ Rubi
Berto - 74 CJ5 Project