E-Locker Questions

DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

E-Locker Questions

Unread post by DaThug »

I’m starting to look at E-lockers and had some questions to get started.

• What locker configuration do most go with? Front and Rear? Or just one locker in front or rear?
• I have the Dana 44 rear and Dana 30 front (welded truss reinforced). Can I do a locker on the Dana 30?
• Any preferred brands of electric lockers?

I quick look at Quadratech and 1 locker was $989.00, any idea on what labor to install a locker would be (ballpark). If I were to do only one what is better front or rear? The cost to install in addition to the parts may limit me to doing only one.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: E-Locker Questions

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Tough call to do one or two lockers. If you do 1, the rear for sure. It would be smart to regear at the same time since they have to remove the gears anyways, and since they will have to open up the front too it would make sense to throw in a locker. So, in my opinion, if you are regearing do both lockers and if you are not regearing just do the rear. If you are ok with your tire size and performance you might not see the need to regear but regearing will make a big difference in how your jeep performs.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

If you had to do a single locker, go with the rear. When you wheel, most of the weight will be transferred to the rear axle most of the time. That’ll be the axle that will benefit the most from a locker.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by DaThug »

I wouldn't be re-gearing. I did that last summer when I went to 35's.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

That being the case installing locker(s) should cost less than lockers AND re-gearing.
The "setup" is much easier if just installing lockers and keeping the same gearing.
Only need to adjust the carrier preload and backlash and no need to deal with pinion depth and pinion preload. (assuming they are currently set up correctly)
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I would say to you on this topic , With one locker you will see such an improvement , with two its incredible the difference. The ability to crawl over/up something without hammering the throttle give you the opportunity to stay on line and really helps in the breakage department. Select-able lockers give you the best of both worlds without a doubt. In the front I would suggest a selectable , for steering on the street and it will also help tight turns in the woods to be able to shut it off. The rear I think is up to you . It will have quirks onroad but you already have figured out how to deal with a lifted Jeep. Id look at a full time Detroit or spool for the rear. As for brands ??????????????? I dont have selectables so I have to leave that answer to people that have had good or bad luck with a brand. DOIT , You will never look back and say , that was a waist of money. Happy Trails FjR68
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

I would not spool a daily driver but that's just my opinion
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

For those that may not know, a spool is a fully locked differential, cannot be unlocked, usually reserved for the trailered or limited road vehicles. It’ll chew through tires on the street.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly