Rocker switch question

DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Rocker switch question

Unread post by DaThug »

I got KC lights for Christmas and they came with a small round red rocker switch. I've been looking for a switch that would fit the stock panel but all I really see is the oval rocker switches. Do most folks add a separate switch panel for external lights, etc?

This is probably a dumb question, I just haven't seen anything that looks to fit the stock panel.
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Re: Rocker switch question

Unread post by KenCal »

Not a dumb question. As far as I have read they do not make one that you can just put in the OEM panel. One way is to drill a hole in the plastic panel left of the steering wheel and put the switch you have there. Or buy a switch panel and switches. Daystar offers a couple of good options. You can order them from Quadratec for example. Check out the "Wrangler Forum" if you haven't already. Join for free and search your question there. Hope this helps some. I'm sure you will hear from others as well.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I would also look at the other options your Jeep could have come with. The "Steeler" Will have the switch that fits that cutout. It just might be listed for something else. Ask me how I know this ? 04 Ford , need I say more FjR68
Hank
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

If you're planning on running other electrical accessories a switch panel and relay pod makes that MUCH easier. I picked up a cheap one from Amazon, and was pretty impressed at the fit/finish and components used, especially for the price as compared to an sPOD. They make a few sizes, and they're offered by a few companies now (I got one by AppoloIntech... who I've never heard of, but took a risk with) Another advantage to a setup like that is there's no high amperage running into the cab, and it's all neatly tucked away under the hood... no rats nest of 15 different installs.
-- Hank
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

if you decide to go down the road of a switch box, spend some time now to think about how much stuff you will really need to switch. Plan ahead and save some trouble later on.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
DaThug

Unread post by DaThug »

Thanks everyone. I can see adding a couple more things to the mix down the line.
Danb33
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Danb33 »

I’ll be doing a switch panel and relay box soon. I’ll be putting my swich panel above the rear view mirror like an spod. I have a 05 LJ so I have the extra trim pieces I’ll put the switches in. I’ll put a relay box under the hood.
schwalby
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by schwalby »

You can also have some fun with the switches. These guys sell some novelty ones but all are very high quality.

https://www.otrattw.net/

Locker switch?

Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
KenCal
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

Great company Josh. I ordered some replacement rockers for 3 of my 5 switches. Perfect and easy install with available tool. Anybody looking to add switches should check these guys out. they also have more traditional rockers if that's the look you want.
DaThug

Unread post by DaThug »

I started planning future growth for switches and looking at the options that will accommodate going forward.

I've found 3 potentials looking at different forums to see what others have done and curious if anyone here has these switches.

Apollotech:

SPOD: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/swit ... system-red

I potentially would add at some point, lights, e-lockers, onboard air.
Hank
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

DaThug wrote:I started planning future growth for switches and looking at the options that will accommodate going forward.

I've found 3 potentials looking at different forums to see what others have done and curious if anyone here has these switches.

Apollotech:

SPOD: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/swit ... system-red

I potentially would add at some point, lights, e-lockers, onboard air.
The Appolointech that you've got listed there is exactly the one I've got. Currently switching my foolish LED lights, ARB Twin compressor, CB, and winch power. I've had it since March of last year, and it has caused me 0 issues. The install was easy, the switches work, the relays and board appear to be of high quality (again, 0 issues thusfar) I got mine in green, and it matches the interior lights pretty well. For the price, I couldn't have cobbled one together out of parts. It was a no-brainer IMO.

EDIT: You can see pics of it installed, and delidded over here: http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthrea ... -2015-JKUR
-- Hank