Ram Assist - PSC or Redneck Ram

Fcgeek
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Ram Assist - PSC or Redneck Ram

Unread post by Fcgeek »

So it looks like my re-gear is going to have to wait. My steering box is leaking pretty bad so it needs replaced or repaired. Since I need to fix my steering box I figure now is the time to add Ram Assist. I know that I can't go wrong, going with PSC but I don't want to spend all my re-gaer funds on steering. It seems like the WTOR redneck ram is a viable solution at a 3rd of the cost. Anyone have experience with these? It seems like its worth the risk from what I have seen. AGR seems to be a bad choice.
2004 TJ Rubicon (Hooptie) Kick A$$ Grill
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Ram Assist - PSC or Redneck Ram

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Redneck ram can repair your box and port it for a decent price, and provide everything else you need. I ported a spare box I had and am also trying to decide which ram to go with
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Just remember sometimes you get what you pay for. You can just buy the box for now and plug the port do rest of system later. Rebuilding your box isn't very hard either. If you haven't upgraded to heavy duty steering be prepared to break that next.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

The Durango steering box is a bolt on upgrade for the TJ isn't it? There are also companies out there that can likely rebuild and port the box for future ram assist.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

If you send this company/guy your box, he'll port it. But you have to send him a working box.

http://store.bleepinjeep.com/product/hy ... ering-box/
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
MDSRACING398

Porting the box is the easy part. Getting the whole system to work together (supply pressure/return/bypass)is the hard part. Drill that port out 1/8 bigger than system calls for and it may work but not 100 percent. Psc isn't that expensive when you add it up. You get a complete system. All the others your modifying stuff you have that already has over 100,000 miles on it! With that said my full hydro steering only cost 500 at most and is a Frankenstein of parts. But you need to do homework and make it all work together.
Semper Fi
Fcgeek
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Fcgeek »

My thought was to send my steering box and pump out to WTOR to have rebuilt and ported. The steering box rebuild is included in the price of the redneck ram kit. It seems like a good option, I am just concerned I will get what I pay for. I was considering just doing the PSC box that is ported but the cost of just the steering box is more then the entire WTOR Redneck Ram. When you by PSC in pieces it adds another few hundred dollars. The PSC full Hydro set is actually cheaper but I am not comfortable going that route because of the street driving I do.
2004 TJ Rubicon (Hooptie) Kick A$$ Grill
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I've read mostly good reviews about WTOR. The big price difference is mostly due to getting a new box with the PSC. You got to figure out if you want to spend a little more money and get all new stuff. Don't forget to factor in shipping your box both ways, that's not cheap, lots of vendors offer free shipping if you go with the PSC. If your brave enough, rebuild and port your box yourself. I have the pilot drill bit, tap and bottoming tap to do it.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

I went with the PSC ported upgrade (Saginaw) box, new PSC factory replacement pump and hoses and felt the price was reasonable for what I got (didn't get the hoses from them though). If I wasn't doing the drop trackbar bracket and drop pitman arm the whole install would have been pretty quick. The hardest part was repairing/shortening my lower steering shaft to get it to fit the input. Were I to do it again, I'd have had a replacement shaft installed at the same time.

Overall, I love the feel of the new box and I have the option to add to it if desired later.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I went with PSC pump and ram kit , hoses and fittings. I ported my box myself. If there is no play in your sector shaft , it might be just a seal and that can be replaced in the JEEP ! Your stock box is not as strong as Previous years so you might look at the Durango box as a starting place . Bone yard price is dirt , send it in to be rebuilt and ported . You would still have use of the car till every thing is bought , then spend a day changing everything . The ram and hose kit was cheap and you always can improve it as you go along. Red Neck is an okay solution , Ive read some good things about them. PSC was started by a Father and son who previously owned AGR and was bought out . Short cuts in the materials and procedure caused them to leave and start PSC . You cant beat that kind of dedication to quality in my opinion . FjR68
MDSRACING398

Durango box will not bolt right in need to modify frame. Need at least one different hose. Also it does not have bearings it has bushings not a great upgrade unless when rebuilding they use bearings which are custom.
Semper Fi
Baseshakers
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

I went with PSC box/ram assist and it has been great. Mr Blaine makes a kit to add the assist cylinder where the stock steering stabilizer lives on a TJ/LJ (as long as you have the stronger Currie Tie Rod/Drag Link). http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/TJ ... TS-RAM.htm

Not sure what they have for JKs but I highly recommend the TJ kit. It's never bound up on me even in the biggest rocks.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky