Looking for skid plate recommendations

Barney366
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Looking for skid plate recommendations

Unread post by Barney366 »

I'm planning on adding some armor. So many choices so I'm looking for a few recommendations from folks with more experience.

I like the ARB engine / gearbox skid plate, #5450110, because it's one piece. They claim it protects oil pan and transfer case, but it's 3mm steel, most others seem to be 3/16".

Thoughts on the ARB part?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Looking for skid plate recommendations

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Myself I'm going with EVO Skids. It's $399 for the set ("12+ Auto is a 3 piece set) and covers what needs to be covered. The only additions I'm putting is their Superduty Cross member, and going to Poison Spyder for the Evap armor.

Others I've looked at were the Rubicon Express, and the River Raider. The RR are excellent, and cover front to back in one sheet of skid, but at $1200-$1500 it's a big ouch. Rubicon Express are the same, but you can buy a piece at a time and end up at around $1k.

Knowing that the Jeep already has skids for the Gas Tank (and it's a pain in the Arse to change out) is my main reason for the EVO choice, that and most of my parts so far are EVO and Poison Spyder....

Edit> just checked. 3MM is 1/25th of an inch, I could punch through that with my finger LOL, definitely not what I'd consider armor.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

3mm = .118"
3/16" = .185"
1/4" = .25"

ARB is a reputable brand, but I don't know anything about the JK skids other then what i've had my hands on. BSJ assisted the Folded Flag Tribute jeep in the installation of Claytons skid system. They went together very well and provided a super smooth surface to slide over the rocks. Everyone there was impressed with the system.

You do get what you pay for, and skids are protection, you don't want to cheap out. Buy once, cry once. Protect your investment.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
zenfire1
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by zenfire1 »

I started with the EVO, price is right, but after the 3" lift, Lou handed me the largest part of the skid, it wouldn't go back on - it was rubbing the exhaust. I added 1-inch spacers and longer bolts, and it's on, but it I've already crushed one of the bolts. Need an upgrade. :P
2013 JK Sport, 3" TeraFlex Lift, 35" Toyo OpenCountry MT
Warn Winch 8s & front bumper, skid plates
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

i have Rock Hard skids on my 12 JKU. Got a good price on them from Offroad Elements - beat Quadratec by a few $$ have held up pretty well. You may want to consider upgrading the cross member bar as well while you are doing the work. the stock ones get mangled pretty easily....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..