Jeep Overlander Configuration

MattJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Jeep Overlander Configuration

Unread post by MattJ »

Here are some photos of my "overlander" configuration. Happy to take any questions or suggestions that members might have for me, especially tips and ideas about Jeep camping. My Jeep hasn't been out of 2WD yet (I wasn't able to attend the 101 event, which really bummed me out). I am hoping to get to the F&F Weekend on May 19-21 with my kids since it looks like a great combination of camping with some easy trails for new Jeep owners like me.

Some notes:

1. Tepui Autana Sky tent, mounted flush onto roof rack with custom mount brackets that I fabricated
2. Maxximus 3 roof rack
3. AEV front/rear bumpers and 3.5" DualSport package
4. Warn winch and "old school" Warn expedition lights
5. Dinuba Water jerry cans in MORryde side racks
6. Rhino Rack Sunseeker canopies

The custom logo on the side is the Boy Scouts of America logo. The license plate stands for "On My Honor". I am a Scout leader and got the idea to create the world's first (as far as I know) Boy Scout Expedition Vehicle ("BEV"). Started working on it last August and an "almost" done. Now I just need to drive it somewhere . . .

Last edited by MattJ on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: Jeep Overlander Configuration

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Field and Forest is NOT I repeat NOT a place to learn. There is nothing easy there! More than half this club has never run the trails there.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Thanks - maybe I could go for the camping and ride along as a passenger to try and gain some knowledge on the trails and around the campfire? Or just skip it and wait for another event.
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

It's not a Baystate weekend it is an open run.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

A password is needed to see your photos at your link. Can you post them directly here in the forum?
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

If you are just looking to get it out of 2wd, may 7th is our Gremlin Graveyard that is stock friendly, then we have our spring trip to Rausch Creek. That park has everything from stock/newbie level stuff to "I'm glad I brought a trailer cause that's the only way it's gettin home" type stuff. Primitive camping with the only amenity is the porta-potty on site. 4 nights camping, 2 travel days, and 3 wheeling days. Definitely a good time.

Hope you get out there soon!

As far as the pictures, copy the direct link to the image and past it between "[img ]" and "[/img ]" and remove the spaces.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Jeep looks really cool, and would def like to hear if it works out as well for you. As for F&F, I have ridding on some of those trails......I will echo Mark, certainly NOT for the faint of heart, HOWEVER when it is a BSJ weekend there is also a class 6 run which is a great way to get out for the first time. There is a BUNCH of great stuff upcoming to learn on and get your wheeling legs.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Fcgeek
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Fcgeek »

If your looking for a camping and wheeling trip Rausch is a great trip. You could have a great time learning your limits on all sorts of terrain and try out some of that camping gear as well.
2004 TJ Rubicon (Hooptie) Kick A$$ Grill
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Thanks guys - hopefully the photos are now appearing in the post. Thanks for the advice on trails and events!
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

MattJ wrote: Image
Thanks for posting your photos, Matt.

Do you bring that driveway lantern post with you as well, or is that part of your other home? :dance: :lol:
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Looks great Matt. I had the top bunk when I was a kid. The May 7th run youd really like to get your feet wet as they say. You can try or watch the climbs that are there right off the main trail. Just doing it will let you know what you need and what youve got. The how comes from tryin it ! See ya on a trail. FjR68
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

RalphTomaccio wrote:
MattJ wrote: Image
Thanks for posting your photos, Matt.

Do you bring that driveway lantern post with you as well, or is that part of your other home? :dance: :lol:
Ha ha - another reason I really NEED to go camping somewhere other than my driveway! But now that you mention lights, did you notice that two of the Warn lights on my windshield bar have been painted with Dykem layout fluid? My goal was to create "night lights" for use at campsites. They glow deep red, rather than blinding white. I've seen people use red flashlights for astronomy and night hikes, so I wondered if it would be possible to do it with a larger flood light. At first I tried making red lenses with Lexan, but the Warn lights warped them (too hot). I wouldn't have that problem with LED lights, but I wanted the "old school" safari look for my Jeep.
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
ImNotCassie
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

:shock: Pretty fancy cans to be hanging off the side like that.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
ImNotCassie
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Fcgeek wrote:If your looking for a camping and wheeling trip Rausch is a great trip. You could have a great time learning your limits on all sorts of terrain and try out some of that camping gear as well.
Let's be honest with this guy. Rausch has stoke trails but you have to go through some tough tuff to get there or get out of it. And who in our group that goes there stays on the stock stuff. His rig does not look like a beater.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Yeah - definitely not a beater. I had to get the Rockstar wheel inserts custom painted by a dealership to match the body paint color, so that's a good example of something small that would be a pain to repair (fortunately I do have another set in stock black, so I could put those on for trail days). But I guess the reality is that I'm more interested in "overlanding" or "camping in spectacular places where minivans can't go" than learning how to crawl the extreme stuff. I'll stay in touch with some of the BSJ members on this forum, find some easier events to join and find my comfort zone. I know I am in good hands with many experienced members of BSJ.
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-