Lifts and tires - Reliable research information

DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Lifts and tires - Reliable research information

Unread post by DaThug »

What I learned at Jeep 101.. A great many things actually, but confirmed my desire to lift and look at 35's. I did as suggested this trip and looked at the different rigs, talked to people and came away more confused and unsure than I was at the start of the day. There are so many different opinions and opposite schools of thought I'm back to I have no idea where to go next.

I've heard from many that anything over a 2.5 requires new drive shaft. I talked to more than one person yesterday that indicated that wasn't always the case. I saw so many different types and sizes of tires my head was spinning. I was looking at lift kits last night and there are so many options each with different pieces in the kit, how do you know what you would need and why? My jeep is a daily commuter and I do 120 miles a day for my commute. I currently have 255/75-17 MT's. I've always preferred the off road tire look, even when I wasn't going off road. I'm considering a 2.5 3.5 lift range and have a stock 2016 Willy's.

With the above in mind...

Is there a website that has information on lifts, like a lift 101 that is responsible information? When I looked the kits for 3" there are some that have 20 parts, other 30+ I'm not mechanic nor have I ever really worked on cars. There is a lot of info and when I look at different wrangler forum threads its confusing and you have no idea if the person responding has a clue.

I'd be taking the jeep in to a shop to have it done, but want to have some faith in my ability to understand what they are recommending and that I'm not being taken for a ride so to speak.

I like the 35's can do on the trail and yet still be a comfortable daily commuter that doesn't require me to stop for gas on the way to and from work. Those of you that use your jeep as a daily ride and have 35's, what do you have? If I lift to a 3" do I need new rims? should I go with wider rims? Do I need to also re-gear? Mudders or Crawlers?

There is so much information its almost impossible to research for me. i think I have an understanding, then I talk to someone or read something that is the exact opposite of what I learned.

I should have spent more time with Dad when he was working on cars... clearly it would have been helpful now!

thanks all.
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: Lifts and tires - Reliable research information

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Just remember the bigger the tires the more sluggish the ride gets without regearing, less mpg, and harder to brake. Mud tires float more on the road if you daily it take all that into consideration.
As for lifts you need to decide what your trying to accomplish. Ride on trails like yesterday or get into climbing and rocks all plays a part in which lift is needed or best for your application. You don't need a $3000 lift if your on class 6 roads.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
DaThug

Unread post by DaThug »

I would like to be able to do more climbing and rocks instead of having to go around some of the areas. I don't plan on going crazy rock climbing, but the couple of ledges from yesterdays run would be fun to be able to try.
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

You're correct in that there are endless possibilities to match endless opinions. Doing it right, no matter what you choose to do, is extremely important. I recommend dealing with a reputable and skilled shop that specializes in offroad modifications. I've dealt with Lou at Elias in Townsend for the last 9 years and can attest to the fact that he will sit with you and listen to not only your wants but your needs and will help you to make a good decision. They do great work and stand behind their work. Others will likely have other suggestions for shops they've dealt with as well. Lou is the only one I've worked with so I can only recommend him.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ASauer17 »

Ditto with Mark.
I have a 4.5 lift with 35s.. I regeared because.. i had to! I didn't want to break my axel and it was BEYOND sluggish.
Basically, well, for a TJ.. A lift, tires, new wheels, drive shaft, regear, and I added lockers. I run BFGs, which alot of people don't, but I like them. They have been working good for me for years.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
ImNotCassie
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

I did those ledges last year with stock and 31's.
But I had just about everythings underneath protected with skids.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Honestly, get out to some runs, ride in some jeeps, see if you can do the run in yours but might not be able to go play in some off shoots on the trail. It really helped me learn what I could do, wanted to do, and then was able to do.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

You've got time to do research. The worst thing you can do is jump into thousands of dollars of modifications and tires based on people's opinions only. What I would do, is go to 4WD.com and just see what brand lifts there are for each manufacturer. Start with one brand and look at a 2.5"-3" lift kit. You'll see many pictures of a ton of nuts bolts, brackets, springs shocks and other stuff you'll not recognize. Open a new tab in the browser and look up what each of the components does. A control arm is different then a track bar. Look at the use of each of the components. Then, pick another brand, select a similar 2.5-3" lift kit and do the same thing. By understanding what each of the components are, you'll better be able to figure out what makes one brand better for you then another.

If you have a bunch more time, crawl under your jeep and start identifying the components under your jeep that are getting replaced by the lift kit. You'll see how it's currently used on your jeep and may be able to visualize how it'll change with the kit.

That's the best way to figure out what you need. As you understand, learn and grow, the jeep will follow suit and your trail riding experience will be that much better.

Good luck!
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

As Dan said, take your time. The last thing you want to do is buy one thing and then feel you have to replace it with something else. Wasted money. Buy it correctly the first time.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by ASauer17 »

highly suggest avoiding Rough Country if you wheel.
a "mall crawler" with RC is ok
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
DaThug

Unread post by DaThug »

Appreciate the guidance and information. I've known since I bought her I wanted a lift. I got into information overload with so many varying opinions.
Given its my daily and I have 120 miles a day for a commute I want to be extra careful on my choices. Or I explain why I now need to buy my muscle car since I can't commute with the monster jeep ;o) I'm not looking to go all crazy with upgrades, I don't want to do the insane rock climbs,etc. But really love some of the climbing,etc.

I'll continue researching and perhaps when I can take a day off I'll schedule an appt with a shop and have a conversation.
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Most people without great ambitions of being the worlds greatest rock crawler, and especially with the Jeep being a DD, can enjoy a quite nice life of crawling rocks with a 2.5" lift and 33's or 35's. You don' need to replace your control arms. Those can always be added at a later date regardless of what brand lift you get. That goes for many other components as well. Whatever you get, get good quality stuff.
Fcgeek
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Fcgeek »

Start with skid plates if you haven't already! Protect your investment, no matter how lifted or how big your tires are you are going to scrap stuff. You might want to consider going with 33's for the daily driver. I have 33's and 3 Mopar (Taraflex) lift on my grocery getter(JKU.) Nice setup, capable on the trail and nice for driving around town and on the highway. Maybe even a little mall crawling. I couldn't imagine driving my TJ everyday with 4 inches of lift and 35's. I only commute about 60 miles a day.
2004 TJ Rubicon (Hooptie) Kick A$$ Grill
DaThug

Unread post by DaThug »

I started looking at skids and working on figuring out what I need. Sunday I took a quick look to see the points I hit Saturday and to see if anything was dangling. I noticed a couple of protective pieces, not sure what they are covering. Given I'm not mechanically knowledgeable, I've seen some diagrams of the underside where parts are identified and plan to review what I have and what I need in skids.

On my list:

Differential covers. I have a stock Willy's 2016 - As I understand it I have Dana 44's on both the front and back.
Control arms
Engine
Fuel
Evap

Figure I'll buy them all and schedule time at the dealer to get everything installed.
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Depending on who is installing them usually you can get parts a little cheaper through them. Also there labor is a little cheaper when buying parts from them.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi