Lifts and tires - Reliable research information

DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Lifts and tires - Reliable research information

Unread post by DaThug »

Anyone ever use Off road elements for any work? Looking for a shop that's close to check on skids and potentially open on a weekend which seems rare these days.
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

I was at Rock and Road Outfitters today in Auburn. One of the employees actually joined our merry little group while I was there. Check them out I'm sure they can help you out and They are open on Saturdays.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
DaThug

Unread post by DaThug »

Thanks Ill check them out.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ASauer17 »

I've purchased items from off-road elements, not any labor. I didn't have a shop put in my lift, etc. But I do bring my jeep to Elias 4wd in Townsend for anything wrong. They also did my regear and lockers
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

A can=o worms has been opened here . Is this a 2 or 4 door JK ? That alone will make a huge difference off road. The best part of a JK is , and Ive only heard , 35s will fit stock with a little rubbing. If that is true , than I would think a 2.5' would be where you want to go. Low is better for stability . No matter what tire size you put under this Jeep , you will hit something ! It goes with the territory . Look at a tire size Vs. gear ratio chart and see what the difference will be with larger tires and no gear change. Its huge to the vehicle in the way of MPGs and power. Many will choose a tire size that will get you buy and still commute , or they over size to a point that drive-ability sucks. Its a hole we enter and never come out of. Try to see over the summer what you can do with what you got , at the end you will have a better picture of where you need to be for what you want to do . Usually Tires create the need for a gear change , it would help if , like the Rubicon , yours has the 4x1 Transfercase. Might get you buy without the gear change at least for a while. Good Luck FjR68
DaThug

Unread post by DaThug »

@Amanda - I would go to Elias for a lift/tires,etc. I'd want to sit down and have a conversation about my options. I certainly want someone I and others in the community trust with their rigs to do anything significant. I was looking at Off Road just to do the install of skids. I don't have the option right now of taking a day off work to take her up to Elias or shops that a couple hours away. I was hoping to find one open on a Saturday that I could get the skids done.

@FJR68 - 2016 Willy's 2dr with 32" MT's. I am not concerned with having to do a gear change a drive shaft, etc. I'm looking to educate myself better on the options and what is required with my options/choices. I was looking for some info from folks who have lifts and 35's that use it as a DD to see what experiences they had with the upgrade and what it did to MPG, ride comfort, etc. I really like the lifted / 35's look, and want the ability to do more off road. I've seen a few trails from clubs marked as 33's or more. trying to balance DD and weekend fun, 2.5-3.0 and 35's at most is what I'm considering.

I've signed up for Gremlin with any luck I'll have some skids for the run and feel more comfortable in not damaging the jeep.
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

35's on a stock JK is not a good idea unless it's a mall crawler. I rubbed 34's with a 2.5" budget boost at full disconnected articulation. I'm up to about 3" of lift and my 34's no longer rub.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

I was askin about doors as that has to do with gettin over things. Sounds like you know which direction you want to go. Sounds like a good game plan to me. I did a little at at time also. Id wheel all year and as my confidence grew , Id use the winter months to improve some thing to better the rig or myself. Some of them saftey items , some of them performance. I wheeled 32s for 5 yrs. before moving to 35s. I still drive her on the road , not like what you do , but I also had to learn respect onroad as you change height or tire size , steering,stopping,handling , everything changes also. Try it the way she is and figure out what needs improving. Happy Trails. FjR68
Fcgeek
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Fcgeek »

I had a good experiance dealing with Clayton Off Road in CT. They are good guys who engineer, manufacture and install. They have lots of options as well. I dropped off on a Saturday but did pick it up during the week. It took a few weeks but I had a 6 inch long arm kit removed and a new 4 inch long arm kit installed installed.
2004 TJ Rubicon (Hooptie) Kick A$$ Grill
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

DaThug wrote: Differential covers. I have a stock Willy's 2016 - As I understand it I have Dana 44's on both the front and back.
You might want to double-check this. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Willy's is a 30 up front. Easiest way to check on any of your stock equipment is to pull your build sheet: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/ just need your vin.
-- Hank
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Hank wrote:
DaThug wrote: Differential covers. I have a stock Willy's 2016 - As I understand it I have Dana 44's on both the front and back.
You might want to double-check this. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Willy's is a 30 up front. Easiest way to check on any of your stock equipment is to pull your build sheet: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/ just need your vin.
You can just crawl underneath and look real quick.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Would you say thats a "Cover" Shot :) FjR68
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Frank wrote:Would you say thats a "Cover" Shot :) FjR68
Does it really make any differential? :lol:
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Dude :) Yer killin me ! FjR68
DaThug

Unread post by DaThug »

The research continues. I had a long chat with Chris at Elias and gathered some additional info and discussed running 35's with the Dana 30 which several folks at events have said isn't the best idea. He recommended a 2" lift if I wasn't doing the 35's at the same time as it would look disproportional with 32 MTs and a 3" or 3.5" lift. I wouldn't want to do a 2" then have to do it again when I do 35's that just doesn't make sense. It would seem this can't or shouldn't be done in phases unless I want to pay for a 2nd lift down the road. Rough estimate for the 3.5, 35's and wheels is around 7k. I have no idea if that is good, bad or average. I'll be chatting with some other shops on thoughts and pricing. If I had known then what I know now I would have bought it lifted..