Tires (because it's been to long........

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Tires (because it's been to long........

Unread post by Carl McFly »

..........since anyone got a-round to asking what's best) "a-round"..... :shock: :? :lol: :roll:

Looking for opinions / suggestions. I have literally never bought new tires for my rig, spent the last ~10 years buying hand me downs. What have I learned? AT's will never, EVER grace my axles again. Ever. Supah Swampah's are the best off road tires I've had but on road? ehhhh......

I'm open to entertaining the idea of 35's but I've rolled on 33's for years and not sure about moving on up to 35's and the added stress it puts on the running gear. Speaking of gear, no, I'm not regearing

So what I'm looking for is a 'very good off road' / 'OK on road' tire. My rig is not a DD but it needs to get me to the trails and back home. Thoughts? Opinions? Tire dealers you'd recommend in the Bahston / eastern MA / southern NH area?
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Tires (because it's been to long........

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Well, I know you said no "A/T" tires, but I would still advise you at least look at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers when you get "a-round to it". They're a new tire that came out last year and are designed to be between a mud terrain and an A/T. I have found them to be very good off-road and very silent on-road. Good reports from everything I have read in my research.

http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-ti ... ruck-tire/

Got mine at Town Fair Tire. They had the best price with all things considered and have been great to work with after the sale as well. When I was experiencing the vibration I had after Harris Mountain last year, they checked the tires, rebalanced them and checked the alignment as well - free.
ImNotCassie
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

I have bfg 35's that I got used, I got 4 so bought needed a spare.
http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Tr ... T-PRO.aspx
Haven't put it on but good reviews not a bad price. Cheaper than my 31's from Hankook.
That's what will go on when i need new in a year or so.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I'm a fan of my maxxis bighorns. Cheap in comparison to others out there, and they do quite well off-road and on. Their downfall is on-road snow and the white mixed stuff that happens during snow storms here in New England. Otherwise, great all around tires that seem to wear well.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Iroks
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

I'm sold on the Toyo Open Country MT's. They're awesome off road and on including snow and ice. I've got 34" and J has 35". Mine's a daily driver and J's is, well, it's J's. Before these I had a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers. A little different from Ralph's, but still were excellent tires (was happy with them) until they came out of round and couldn't balance them anymore. Poop happens, but they dicked us around on the warranty so much I ditched them altogether and decided I'd never give Nitto my money again. I'm glad I did that because the Toyo's are a better tire. I'm running them on the same wheels the Nitto's were on with no issues.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

I can vouch for the Toyo OC MT's from my buddies truck, he has gone thru two sets of them as on road only tires and he loved them. I have heard plenty of good on the trails as well but as far as a street tire he says he had no issues and lives in central PA.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Fcgeek
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Fcgeek »

Now that you have a list of most tires "a-round" I will second the BFG KM2, nice tire at a decent price.
2004 TJ Rubicon (Hooptie) Kick A$$ Grill
ImNotCassie
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Fcgeek wrote:Now that you have a list of most tires "a-round" I will second the BFG KM2, nice tire at a decent price.

Not as good as what I paid for my KM2's. Be-otch!! :lol:

See ya at Brookridge.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by beaker »

Swamper Radials...
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Carl :) Take a look at Dick Cepeck MT radials . Great reviews , better sidewall than the Micky Thompson MTZ , balance great and work pretty good from watching the guys in the club with them. No doubt Swumpahs are the best off rd tire , but as you said , unless you had separate tire/wheels to swap on for street , say good buy to the radio and your fillings ! Just for you Bud . FjR68
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

After spending a couple of days in the BFG booth and learning a ton more about tires I am going to go with the KM3s next. Won't be out till next spring so may go with the KM2s first. They really are a well made tire and have a lot more testing then a lot of other brands.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.