Siping tires

RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Siping tires

Unread post by RandyCarol »

What are your thoughts on siping tires? I know the benefits of it, but worry about chunking or accelerated tire wear. Tires are new, not mounted yet, is it more beneficial to wait until they are worn?
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Siping tires

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

It would really depend on the type of tire you are looking to sipe. Siping tires makes plenty of sense for a mud terrain in the snow as snow traction will be greatly improved, but for all other seasons, the benefits may not be as drastic. If you sipe too close to the edge of the lug, then chunking could definitely be an issue.

Are you talking about grooving or siping a tire. Siping doesn't remove any material from the tire, but just slices it to allow the lugs to move a bit more. A good friend of mine grooved a set of tires on his trailer queen and doubled the traction off road. I may look into siping my tires next winter as snow/slush traction was quite poor.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

We used to use a hot knife years ago to sipe mud tires. They had great gripping power but it was also a great deal of work to ensure that the depth of the cut was consistent on each lug. It was like having fingers grab into the rocks....Are you planning on running them full time or swap them out based on the trail?
Chrome? Never heard of it.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Full time, so I would sipe as opposed to grooving
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

what kind of tires are they? have you run them before and know the capabilities?
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:It would really depend on the type of tire you are looking to sipe. Siping tires makes plenty of sense for a mud terrain in the snow as snow traction will be greatly improved, but for all other seasons, the benefits may not be as drastic. If you sipe too close to the edge of the lug, then chunking could definitely be an issue.

Are you talking about grooving or siping a tire. Siping doesn't remove any material from the tire, but just slices it to allow the lugs to move a bit more. A good friend of mine grooved a set of tires on his trailer queen and doubled the traction off road. I may look into siping my tires next winter as snow/slush traction was quite poor.
Siping, not grooving.
They are Nitto Trail Grapplers, they don't really have any original sipes. I've never ran these tires before and I've heard siping grips well in the rocks. I'm only thinking of going it now because I'm waiting on other parts and I'm itching to do something jeep related so I was looking into it.
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

RandyCarol wrote: I'm only thinking of going it now because I'm waiting on other parts and I'm itching to do something jeep related so I was looking into it.

Haha. Randy is having withdrawals. Long winter?
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

ImNotCassie wrote:
RandyCarol wrote: I'm only thinking of going it now because I'm waiting on other parts and I'm itching to do something jeep related so I was looking into it.

Haha. Randy is having withdrawals. Long winter?
Lol, yes. Getting cabin fever, need to do something with tools.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

I'd hold off on siping the tires until you've tested them. No sense messing with something that may already work just fine.

If you really want to do some work, I've got a few jeeps, I could probably find something for you to do haha
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:I'd hold off on siping the tires until you've tested them. No sense messing with something that may already work just fine.

If you really want to do some work, I've got a few jeeps, I could probably find something for you to do haha
I'm up for helping with projects, busy time of year so looking for projects to squeeze in during some down time. I'll take your advice and hold off on the siping until I try out the tires. I have a steering box to tap and swap out for future hydro, maybe by the time I'm done with that my urge will be cured ;)
RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Come to the Earth Day clean up and bring a wrench to make you feel better. :lol: