Air Compressor

Clarke6677
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2009
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Air Compressor

Unread post by Clarke6677 »

Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap portable air compressor?
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Air Compressor

Unread post by Kurt »

For starters, what will it be used for?
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Clarke6677

basically re inflating tires after trails and beach this summer
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I have this one:

Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow High-Volume 12-Volt Air Compressor

It's been very reliable the last 4 years and doesn't take forever to inflate tires. Nice carrying case and doesn't take up much room.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Viair-Automatic- ... Viair+450p

It has a 100% duty cycle, which means you do not have to shut it down to cool off every so many minutes. Plus, it has an automatic shutoff which allows you to go from one tire to another without having to shut it off and turn it back on between tires.

After a few uses, I decided to convert it to an on-board air system by buying a Synergy mount bracket and permanently installing it in the engine bay.

http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Jeep- ... 24327.html

My next step was to install an on-dash on/off switch to I didn't have to open the hood to turn the compressor on and off, as well as a air source relocation kit for convenient hose hookup. I put it in the frame just behind the front bumper in a perfectly sized existing hole.

http://www.viaircorp.com/fittings/airrelocation/

There are a number of ways to accomplish the same effect. This one works well for me. Clean, simple and efficient.

If you'll be at the meeting, I'd be happy to show you the install, as well as other members as well I'm sure.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

RalphTomaccio wrote:I have this one:

It has a 100% duty cycle, which means you do not have to shut it down to cool off every so many minutes. Plus, it has an automatic shutoff which allows you to go from one tire to another without having to shut it off and turn it back on between tires.

After a few uses, I decided to convert it to an on-board air system by buying a Synergy mount bracket and permanently installing it in the engine bay.

My next step was to install an on-dash on/off switch to I didn't have to open the hood to turn the compressor on and off, as well as a air source relocation kit for convenient hose hookup. I put it in the frame just behind the front bumper in a perfectly sized existing hole.

There are a number of ways to accomplish the same effect. This one works well for me. Clean, simple and efficient.

If you'll be at the meeting, I'd be happy to show you the install, as well as other members as well I'm sure.

as these are air cooled have you had any issues with the pump overheating Ralph? How many sets of tires are you able to get done (guessing you are sharing the pump w club members.)? TIA!
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:I have this one:

Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow High-Volume 12-Volt Air Compressor

It's been very reliable the last 4 years and doesn't take forever to inflate tires. Nice carrying case and doesn't take up much room.
I think that is the pump that JP Mag did a write up to use in conjunction with a 5 gal air tank from HF.... it was in the past 6 months or so if you want to look it up online. they installed the pump under the driver seat to keep it cool and dry. IDK if I would want it under the seat though...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Hoodoo Man wrote:
I think that is the pump that JP Mag did a write up to use in conjunction with a 5 gal air tank from HF.... it was in the past 6 months or so if you want to look it up online. they installed the pump under the driver seat to keep it cool and dry. IDK if I would want it under the seat though...
Unsure about the article, but I bought it on recommendation a large group of people on a previous forum I frequented. After doing 4 tires in a row, the air hose right on the unit does get quite hot. Never worried about sticking it right back in the bag and in the jeep. That's probably after about 13-15 minutes straight runtime.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RalphTomaccio

Hoodoo Man wrote:
RalphTomaccio wrote:I have this one:

as these are air cooled have you had any issues with the pump overheating Ralph? How many sets of tires are you able to get done (guessing you are sharing the pump w club members.)? TIA!
It is air cooled and I have not yet had any issues with overheating. I've shared it with club members, but it usually is no more than one or two others at most on any given run. I'm guessing that the 100% duty cycle helps with this. How many more can it do before an issue arises? I don't know.
Clarke6677

thanks guys ill have to take a look at them.
Clarke6677

Ralph I am planning on being at the meeting and would love to take a look at your set up.
RalphTomaccio

Clarke6677 wrote:Ralph I am planning on being at the meeting and would love to take a look at your set up.
Sure thing! Don't hesitate to remind me in case I have an old man moment. :dance:
Clarke6677

Will do haha see ya there
Dominic

Unread post by Dominic »

I use a Viair 450P and it's pretty good.
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

After fair bit of research and talking to and seeing Ralph's set up on the Viair 450P I decided that would work best for me. At the 101 Ralph aired up his tires then mine. The 450P worked great. Its a nice kit. Picked it up on Amazon for $250. Definitely look at Ralph's set up under the hood.
Chrome? Never heard of it.