Researching Bumpers

DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Researching Bumpers

Unread post by DaThug »

I've got a 216 Willy with 32's and I'm looking at replacing the front bumper and possible the rear bumper at the same time.

What I've seen is concerning and wanted to get some feedback from folks that have non stock bumpers. I found the stock bumper is only around 30 lbs if that and the new ones I'm looking at are 100+ pounds without a winch. I've had a couple folks mention that after installing a new front bumper and winch they lose some height others indicate no loss of height.

I'm not ready to swap out both bumpers and a lift (with potential bigger tires) at one time. For the members that have replaced stock bumpers, any tips or experiences you can share?
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: Researching Bumpers

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I run a Rock Hard 4x4 stubby bumper, it has a winch mount and small hoop and weighs about 150Lbs w/o the winch. I cant say I noticed any real droop in the suspension with the bumper on, syntetic line does keep weight down a bit. I would receommend wheeling a little with the jeep as it sits and checkign out other folks after market bumper to find one that you like the look of, they all have positives and negatives... I like a mid width bumper that does not interfere with the tires getting at an obstacle
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

look around and see what you like, there are tons of them out there. You might also want to see how some of them perform on the trails because some may work better for your driving style or trails that you will be on than others depending on wheel coverage, or optional stingers and such.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I replaced my stock rear with an EVO aluminum fascia, and frame insert D-Rings (https://www.offroadevolution.com/produc ... unt-combo/), Weighs almost nothing, even less than stock.Went the totally oposite for the front, I went with their Pro Series with hoop (https://www.offroadevolution.com/produc ... op-jk-jku/), weighs close to 80/90+lbs..
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
jquader
Jeep Year: 2008

Unread post by jquader »

I just run into things to create more clearance.
BSJ Secretary 2019, 2013, 2012 - DOT 2015 - DOE 2017, 2016

I wonder what's on the other side.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

BlackKnight wrote:I replaced my stock rear with an EVO aluminum fascia, and frame insert D-Rings (https://www.offroadevolution.com/produc ... unt-combo/), Weighs almost nothing, even less than stock.Went the totally oposite for the front, I went with their Pro Series with hoop (https://www.offroadevolution.com/produc ... op-jk-jku/), weighs close to 80/90+lbs..
I love that rear fascia but I drag my rear bumper over everything so I worry about my sheet metal :(
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Here is my bumper finally on the jeep. Added a Superwinch and factor 55 connection point...

--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
bobalama
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by bobalama »

@BlackKnight - Looks Nice!!
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Looks good! Keep in mind, trees tend to take out fenders. Without a mid/full width bumper, trees pop out of nowhere! Both of my fenders have gotten tagged before!
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:Looks good! Keep in mind, trees tend to take out fenders. Without a mid/full width bumper, trees pop out of nowhere! Both of my fenders have gotten tagged before!
Agreed! My midwith is scarred from the trees that would have taken out my flares or worse. I like the look of the stubbies better but wanted a little more protection.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

Like wise on the midwith bumpers. Good look and protection where it's needed. I have the Barricade HD midwith's front and back , they weight about 83 lbs. each. The winch adds another 80 lbs. No loss of lift with my TeraFlex lift. Good advice from Ish and Randy, both have done this for awhile.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I just made mine . FjR68