Chasing Issues

del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Chasing Issues

Unread post by del_TJ »

Is the jeep a daily driver? Another option is to pick up a cheap used Dana 30 on craigslist and swap it in while you figure out what to do. Here's one for $25! Might give you more time and repair flexibility if needed.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/5215893165.html
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

del_TJ wrote:Is the jeep a daily driver? Another option is to pick up a cheap used Dana 30 on craigslist and swap it in while you figure out what to do. Here's one for $25! Might give you more time and repair flexibility if needed.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/5215893165.html
Its not a daily driver. Its a toy that can sit until repair happens.

I may contact the guy about the control arms hes got though...
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

It wont matter where you get the kit but before you by one decide if a garage is going to do it as they might not want to use your parts. Ask first is what Im saying. Timken bearings in the kit is all I would care about. FjR68
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

Frank wrote:It wont matter where you get the kit but before you by one decide if a garage is going to do it as they might not want to use your parts. Ask first is what Im saying. Timken bearings in the kit is all I would care about. FjR68

Kurt has graciously offered his expertise, garage and time. I just need to call and order the parts, then find a weekend that he can learn me some stuff!

Over the weekend, I scored a full set of OE lower control arms off craigslist. Four arms for $20 bucks. They came off a '98 and the bushings were definitely dry rotted. But, the arms are un-mangled. The arms might suffice through the winter and early wheeling season next year until I swap them all out with a set of new aftermarket arms.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

Huge thanks to Kurt for the many hours he put into getting the axle out, gutted, rebuilt, and installed!
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:Huge thanks to Kurt for the many hours he put into getting the axle out, gutted, rebuilt, and installed!
:handgestures-thumbupright: glad your rig is back in one piece Dan. Just in time for me to roll my project in :shock:
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Carl McFly wrote:... Just in time for me to roll my project in :shock:
Say What? :-o

JK - See you later this week! ;)
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

You think I live down here cause Im poor ? Ive got guys calling me ---- Hello Frank? Yes , Ed from Advance told me to call you , He said your the Jeep guy! Can you ------- . "Kurts Jeep repair" Didnt work this hard at work ! FjR68
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:It seems this will be my build thread as chasing issues is all I've been doing this year.

The jeep passed inspection, but just. I've started a list of things I need to remedy, but the most pressing thing currently is the front diff pinion. Its got quite a bit of play in all directions, so the jeep is parked for now.

List of Issues to chase, listed in order of priority:
1. Front Differential Pinion Bearings - Replace.
2. Front Differential Inner Axle Seals - Replace.
3. Driver Front Wheel Bearing starting to develop play, barely noticeable currently (per Sullivan Tire mechanic) - Replace both sides.
4. Further Adjust Rear Pinion Angle, currently 2-3 degrees, assess vibrations after front pinion work to verify vibrations or lack thereof, lessen angle if needed.
5. Driver Rear Brake pads @ 3/32", brakes and rotors were replaced this time last year (~6,000 miles ago). Diagnostics to follow. - Replace pads both sides.
6. Locker Pump Bracket Relocation, currently free floating on top of skid, not bolted down.
7. CB Radio, speaker non-functional - Replace with new CB with RF Gain control, external speaker?
8. Motor Mounts - Replace.
9. Front Lower Control Arms Bent - Do nothing for now (full control arm replacement possible 2016).
10. Tiny Most-Terrain Tires - Replace with larger more agressive tires, Size/Type TBD.
11. Old Soft Top - Replace with new Rampage Frameless top.
Made good progress this winter, mostly the last two weeks. After Kurt and I rebuilt the front diff last fall, the jeep sat most of the winter. It had some nagging issues and I just didn't want to put any more cash and effort into it. Fast forward a couple months, and with wheeling season fast approaching, I decided to get some wrenching in. I replaced the real pads and rotors, drivers rear caliper, swapped my springs out to a legit 3" teraflex set, replaced all 4 lower control arms with Teralfex adjustable (adjusted to stock length), replaced stock rear trackbar with teraflex adjusting rear, and replaced the old worn stock motor mounts and spacers with some brown dog 1" motor mounts. New CB radio is sitting in the apt and the saving for larger tires is in the works!
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

Post Rausch, I've got a couple issues. First, the trackbar is loose on the passenger side bracket. Appears that the hole has been egged out. I've heard that a welded washer can remedy this, but how long is that repair good for?

The second thing is that the jeep seems to have a stiff shock in the rear. When stopping, the jeep doesn't rock forward and back, but rather forward back and side to side. All directions. In pushing down on each corner, all but the drivers rear sink then settle. The drivers rear is difficult to sink at all. Any ideas what else this could be other then a failed shock? I've got Bilsteins all around.

Anyone up for a wrench day? I don't have the space though.
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Bent shock? Control arm binding? Spring out of pocket? That plywood box not letting it flex? Welded washer works fine just use grade 8 we use to do all the time on dirt bike motor mounts when steel. Or go to bigger bolt that bolt sure looked small when I looked at it. Make sure your steering isn't binding at all either Dan that was odd just sitting there your axle moved that much.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
MDSRACING398

Just looked at my box and bags of take offs. That stock bolt is a 10 but has a 9 shank. Just put a 12.9 hardness by m10 bolt in should take up slop unless you really egged it.and torque it to spec
Semper Fi
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

I used the bolt that came with the kit, and I had a fellow jeeper watch it and he said the bolt was definitely moving. I didn't take it off to confirm.

The issue came about after Rausch, so the pre-existing plywood box isn't the culprit for that. I'll have to double check the spring/control arms. When i washed the jeep, I disconnected the sway bar and jacked up the passenger side of the jeep, sprayed it down, then jacked up the driver side. I pulled out the jack and the jeep maintained a lean to the passenger. The shock has a boot on it, so I can't see the shaft.
MDSRACING398

No the bolt wasn't moving the trackbar was moving when i looked. But like I said the stock bolt is smaller than the hole. Put a bigger bolt in. M10. 12.9 hardness Comment about your box was joke. I'ld say u bent a shock. Pull lower shock mount bolt from axle if that's not it binding control arm. I doubt spring out of pocket. Only other thing I can think of Is if you snapped swaybar link on passenger side could load up drivers side. But I doubt it
Semper Fi
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by del_TJ »

I went through a couple rounds of a similar track bah issue before going to a double shear setup. Before the fix, the axle end of the track bar was hitting the top of the axle bracket under full droop and I snapped the frame side spherical joint at Rausch once. If you’re getting any metal on metal binding during the suspension cycle, the washer fix won’t last long.

What track bar setup are you running? Have you checked to see if your shocks are too long at full droop.