MA Fender coverage

ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

MA Fender coverage

Unread post by ArticRubi »

Looking at tube fender options, I'd prefer to run a narrow, say 4", width fender. What I haven't been able to find is a definite answer on minimum fender coverage in MA. According to this:
http://www.liftlaws.com/massachusetts_lift_laws.htm
And multiple other sources outlining the same information, there is no law regarding fenders/mud flaps. I've only lived in MA for a year, and I know in NC it would have been fine, but what have you guys run into? Don't really want to invest in a set of fenders that won't pass inspection. That also being said, does anyone have a recommendation on a Jeep friendly inspection station? I'm already over the limit concerning lift, whether you go by 2" max or (wheel base x wheel track) / 2200

Thanks,
Duncan
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: MA Fender coverage

Unread post by Kurt »

Paging Joe O.....
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
jquader

Unread post by jquader »

This is the Mass Chapter 90 statement on fenders

Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no passenger motor vehicle shall be operated on any way if such vehicle has the side wall or thread of any tire projecting outward beyond the outer portion of the fender or side body panel, unless such vehicle is equipped with four-wheel drive or is otherwise modified and intended for off-the-way use.

I think most inspection stations and others forget the "unless" clause. Searching the rest of Chapter 90 the only other mention of fenders relates to airport vehicles.
BSJ Secretary 2019, 2013, 2012 - DOT 2015 - DOE 2017, 2016

I wonder what's on the other side.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

The law is in MGL Chapter 90 section 19.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener ... /Section19

The lift law in 540CMR 6.00 is here:
http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/ma ... 40CMR6.pdf

Here are the inspection guidelines: http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/540cmr4/sec404b.htm

(11) Bumpers, Fenders, External Sheet Metal and Fuel Tank. A Certificate of Rejection shall be issued if any of the following conditions are evident:

(a) Bumpers. Broken or bent bumpers, fenders, exterior sheet metal or moldings, having sharp edges or abnormal protrusions extending beyond normal vehicle extremities so as to constitute a danger to pedestrians and other motor vehicle traffic. If bumper face plates are removed, bumper brackets must also be removed. The vehicle hood, door(s), luggage compartment lid, and battery or engine compartment doors or lids, if so equipped, must be capable of being firmly latched.

(b) Fenders. Front and rear fenders must be in place on all vehicles manufactured after model year 1949 if such vehicles were designed and manufactured to be operated with front and rear fenders. Every passenger motor vehicle which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and side.

So, it seems that the inspection guidelines do not completely coincide with the chapter 90 MGL. I have found it to be subject to interpretation (unfortunately). The system is all over the place. Different stations have different views of the laws. The same goes for enforcement. I have a printed copy of the MGL in my glove box, but with the condition of my Heep, I rarely drive on the street anymore. That will change this year though, as I de-evolve my YJ and transfer the 38's to my buggy. I have a new nose too, as inspection stations don't like mashed sheet metal.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ArticRubi

Hmm...it appears I'm good on narrow fenders, but likely not good to run narrow fenders. Way to go MA. :D Seriously though, looks like I can put them on and make the case they are legit and allowable under the general statutes. May be a moot point because I'm still screwed by the suspension lift and 35's. I'd like to think I don't need to worry about it, there's definitely a lot bigger rigs riding around with a sticker, I guess I'll just have to stay worried until I get it passed in August. Thanks for the references guys.

BTW, any recommendations on a shop to work with for inspection? Problem with getting failed is you still have to pay.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

where are you located? This is best done by PM for anyone that responds as opposed to the open forum. Also some inspection tires can go a long way in making it easier to pass. I run 29s to my inspection station and 35s for runs on my TJ....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ArticRubi

True, I'm in Somerville. I probably should have held on to my stock Rubicon setup but with only 8k miles on them they brought some pretty good money in.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Ct. Is a pretty easy place to raise a jeep ! No inspections at all. If you run full width axles , you will get stopped ! FjR68
audiobill5

Unread post by audiobill5 »

Hi, Bill the newbee here.
I got stopped out in Western Mass 30 yrs ago for tread outside the rear fenders of my 1st year Mustang fastback.
They have been doing it for a LONG time!
midniteryder
Jeep Model: KK Liberty

Unread post by midniteryder »

My inspection station said i will have no problem getting a sticker with my flat fenders and 33's and 4" lift.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

midniteryder wrote:My inspection station said i will have no problem getting a sticker with my flat fenders and 33's and 4" lift.

Consider yourself lucky.
It's getting harder and harder to inspect a lifted rig in mASS.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
midniteryder

We have a great local guy. does emissions and we are on our way! Got a few monster size pick ups near us that have at least 8-9 inch lifts and always wonder how much extra they have to pay for a sticker lol.
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

If there's a kid working the inspection bay, you're more apt to have a hassle. I've been going to the same place for 6-7 years, when the owner was doing inspections I never had a problem. He was a straight shooter. Two years ago, there was a kid working the bay..... the little bastard actually pulled out a tape measure to do the track width X wheelbase formula and was going to fail me! Showed him all my past inspection reports from that station and after a bit of gripeing, he passed my rig but told me "Next year put some smaller tires on it." So last year I put the 30"s on (do you know how stupid my Heep looks with 30" tires!!!!) and didn't have an issue with the same kid in the bay. At least the Heep is old enough that it doesn't get emissions testing!
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
midniteryder

That sucks John. Luckily the owners assistant has a YJ where we go lol.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

BasamOme wrote:have a recommendation on a Jeep friendly inspection station?
1. As small a state as MA is, it still would be helpful to know where you are. If you're in Provincetown, I wouldn't want to recommend a place in Adams.

2. Watch your PMs for an answer. Don't expect anybody to post here in a public forum, (which State Police can easily read) the name or location of a "Jeep friendly" station. They won't be "Jeep friendly" for long after that.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein