11/24 Turkey Trot Trail Run

:) 2017 :) Schedule of Events:
http://www.baystatejeepers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5060

Interested in Joining Baystate Jeepers?
http://baystatejeepers.com/

Leak

Leak

Unread postby RalphTomaccio » Thu Jul 13, 2017

Last weekend after the run I noticed that the top bolt on the passenger side quick disconnect was loose. When I went to tighten it up today, I noticed something dripping on the floor. It looks like oil, clear in color with a "light" feel, not thick. It's in the area of the quick disconnect, steering stabilizer, wheel end of the axle and LCA skid. The best guess of mine is that the steering stabilizer is leaking.

Are there any other guesses out their?

RalphTomaccio
Trail Leader

Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Leak

Unread postby MDSRACING398 » Thu Jul 13, 2017

Open hood what's above it? Power steering pump? Antifreeze leak? Ac line leaking. I'm guessing antifreeze
Last edited by MDSRACING398 on Thu Jul 13, 2017, edited 1 time in total.
BSJ Secretary 2017

2005 Rubicon (Pumpkin)
1985 Cj7 with a couple upgrades (Betty)

Do it right the first time!
Second place is first Loser
Semper fi
MDSRACING398
Member BOD

Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread postby BlackNBlue-ISH » Thu Jul 13, 2017

Could be shock also. How do your brakes feel?
Daniel B. (-ISH)
2016+2017 Director at Large
Tread Trainer, Tread Lightly!

2005 TJ Rubicon - Supposed to be the wheeler, but is a daily driven mall crawler
1998 Cherokee - Supposed to be the daily, but is broken.
BlackNBlue-ISH
Member BOD

Jeep Year: 2005

Unread postby del_TJ » Thu Jul 13, 2017

Looks like anti-freeze to me. Check the hose connections at the radiator for leaks.
del_TJ
BSJ Member

Jeep Year: 1998

Unread postby RalphTomaccio » Thu Jul 13, 2017

I didn't have an opportunity to follow up on everyone's suggestions today, but will do so tomorrow. If anyone has any further suggestions for me to check out, please let me know. We're watching our 10 year old grandson this week and it is quite the job!
RalphTomaccio
Trail Leader

Unread postby Marky » Fri Jul 14, 2017

The drips look greenish which supports the antifreeze idea. If you're driving it, check your fluid levels to avoid bigger problems!
2014-18 Vice President
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 34" tires, lots of armor
Marky
Member BOD

Jeep Year: 2013

Unread postby ImNotCassie » Fri Jul 14, 2017

RalphTomaccio wrote:I didn't have an opportunity to follow up on everyone's suggestions today, but will do so tomorrow. If anyone has any further suggestions for me to check out, please let me know. We're watching our 10 year old grandson this week and it is quite the job!

10 years old? It's about time he learn how to fix a leak.
-Cassandra
2018 Director of Trails

2011 Silver/Black JK - Lifted & Locked, Banged up & Bruised

If Jeepin' is wrong, I don't want to be right!!
ImNotCassie
Member BOD

Jeep Year: 2011

Unread postby RalphTomaccio » Fri Jul 14, 2017

I have taken a closer look and here are my findings:

I started with the radiator and, as you can see, it's filled to the rim. The radiator overflow bottle was empty and dry. Although I am going to guess that, because it's red, you're going to say it's time to flush it. The white bottle with the black cap to the left of the radiator is the power steering reservoir and it was full to the max line.

Taking a closer look underneath, I think it is as I suspected, the steering stabilizer. I took a closer look at the drips still there and they do appear green, whereas the radiator liquid was reddish. If you look close, you can see obvious wear marks/rubbing along pretty much the full length of the body. Seems to be rubbing badly against the tie rod on the underside and back portion of the stabilizer.

You can see here how the right side of the body of the stabilizer has wet marks running along the bottom.

Here, you can see a fair amount of wear. This end mount is closest to the wheel.

I know I'm not nearly as automotively knowledgeable as most of you, but can this be anything else other than the steering stabilizer at this point? I see nothing else that would suggest otherwise.
RalphTomaccio
Trail Leader

Unread postby del_TJ » Fri Jul 14, 2017

If it's a light oil then it's probably the stabilizer. I busted mine a few times against the steering linkages until I finally took the time to fully cycle the suspension and make a new mount on the axle side that keeps it out of the way.
del_TJ
BSJ Member

Jeep Year: 1998

Unread postby Marky » Fri Jul 14, 2017

There are other colors of coolant besides traditional green. Is the stabilizer wet? If you replace it can you adjust it so it does not hit anything else?
2014-18 Vice President
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 34" tires, lots of armor
Marky
Member BOD

Jeep Year: 2013

Unread postby RalphTomaccio » Fri Jul 14, 2017

del_TJ wrote:If it's a light oil then it's probably the stabilizer. I busted mine a few times against the steering linkages until I finally took the time to fully cycle the suspension and make a new mount on the axle side that keeps it out of the way.

Yes, the oil is very light.

Marky wrote:There are other colors of coolant besides traditional green. Is the stabilizer wet? If you replace it can you adjust it so it does not hit anything else?

I know the mount on the tie rod can easily be rotated, but I'm not certain about the other end close to the wheel. I do remember it was welded, but not sure if it's adjustable.
RalphTomaccio
Trail Leader

Unread postby RalphTomaccio » Sat Jul 15, 2017

I thought I may have been way overdue on changing the engine coolant, but just checked the owner's manual and it says every 5 years or 100,000 miles. Guess I am due now that I'm at the 5 year mark (just under 35,000 miles).
RalphTomaccio
Trail Leader

Unread postby Frank » Sun Jul 16, 2017

Ralph , Your a better mechanic than you think . Every picture that showed the stabilizer was wet from it down . Every thing above it is dry . Case solved ! You did just what I would have done. Eliminate things one at a time. I know the newer coolants last longer but then again , they dont do what we do in the lab . I would not wait 5 yrs or a ridiculous 100k miles to change it. FjR68
Frank
BSJ Member

Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread postby RalphTomaccio » Tue Jul 18, 2017

Didn't have any time yesterday to look further as we took our grandson to NYC for the day. Got up at 4:00am and the train got back in to PVD at 11:35pm. I'm wiped out. Slept to 8:35am today. It felt as hard a day as being at F&F on the black trails with a tricycle with a front tire of only 6"!!!!

Anyway, I took the steering stabilizer off and sure enough, it's trash. The underside is all worn from rubbing on the tie rod and I was able to compress and extend the piston very easily. You can tell oil was missing as the piston movement was not smooth but inconsistent.

I noticed the mount attached to the tie rod was causing the stabilizer to cross over the TR as opposed to being parallel with the TR. Am I correct in saying it should be parallel?

I have a new one ordered and it's NOT coming from 4WD! :shhh:

RalphTomaccio
Trail Leader

Unread postby schwalby » Tue Jul 18, 2017

I was going to suggest it was the headlight fluid leaking out.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
schwalby
BSJ Member

Jeep Year: 2003

Next

Return to Tech Stuff