You can talk about anything here
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Turkey Trot Pre-Run Carnage

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

RalphTomaccio wrote:
BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:Was it confirmed to be a public class 6 road legal to use? Evidence of other vehicles isn’t proof of legality.
Brief answer: Yes, it is a legal Class VI road

Long answer: When I receive a Class VI .gpx file, I check the roads to see if they are legal, especially if I have never been on it before. The road in question is located in Bradford NH and has a name. I went to the NH State Department of Transportation web site and downloaded the Nodal Reference 2017 Town of Bradford full size wall map PDF. It shows every road and its legal classification. There is a similar map for every town, city and county in NH. The road also appears in Google Earth plain as day. Between the two, I feel comfortable in saying that it is, in fact, a legal Class VI. I'd bet your life on it!

What other proof or confirmation would you like me to provide? After 4 years in the club, if you know nothing else about me, you must know that I am detailed and thorough!
No need to get defensive. This was directed at Matt more then anything else. He mentioned argument about if it was a road, and the only evidence he mentioned he was looking for was if a vehicle had traveled there. I asked the question only so that others could understand what it takes to legally determine if a path in the woods is a legal class 6 road.

So, if I follow your process you:
  • confirmed that the road existed on the local "Nodal Reference" map
  • determined the name and classification of the road in question
  • confirmed that the road is visible and has a beginning and an end using satellite imagery available (google in this case)
  • once confirmed on your pre-trip research, you scoped it out on foot to see if the trail was passable, and determined with the others in your group that it is a legal road, and that you could possibly pass through with your vehicles.
There is a whole lot of other ways that a road could be determined to be legal. This was just a few of the many options.

Ralph, if you want, you could post up a separate thread laying out what it does take to do your pre-run research, different options for different towns, how to find the road agents. Then, you can detail what you can look for while out on the roads themselves, what certain signage means, looking for rock walls, seasonal restrictions, etc. I know you know your stuff, most people don't know what it takes, I was merely asking so that we could all get educated a bit on the topic.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly